Safest way to cross-cutt split wood for chunks?

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I want to use some of this split firewood, in chunk form with a minion cook. What is the safest way to secure the wood and to cut it? My BF has a sawzall but with a metal blade on it right now. I think securing it with a hand or foot is dangerous.

A 5 or 6" vice comes to mind. I have that at work, not at home yet. I have used a sawzall and it work's/not all that well. A small chainsaw is far better. The hand foot method makes me nervous every time I do it , even though I am careful!

A 5 or 6" vice comes to mind. I have that at work, not at home yet. I have used a sawzall and it work's/not all that well. A small chainsaw is far better. The hand foot method makes me nervous every time I do it , even though I am careful!

Yeah not good beause the chainsaw can jerk the wood and pull your hand in right? scary stuff. I wanna keep my hands and feet clear.

in a pinch I have used my hack saw with a coarse blade, bracing the wood with my heavy work boot, but have since obtained a cheap 5" table vise and a crosscut hand saw....

My only argument with the chopsaw method is I think you are looking for smaller pieces for the Minion method. I am not sure the chopsaw achieves that. If it does, I need one. Please educate me, I have not used one.

All i know is i cut my branches in about 4" sections and take my hatchet to them into smaller pieces.

I thought a miter saw had too high a risk of throwing chunks or the log? I'm almost certain I have seen that mentioned several times here. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought a miter saw had too high a risk of throwing chunks or the log? I'm almost certain I have seen that mentioned several times here. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah it jerked on me after a few cuts.. scary stuff. I normally clamp all wood down on the miter saw and just use one hand to push down the blade. I am thinking the chain saw with that jig peeps linked might be a safer way. Plus with that jig you can cut all the way to the end.. with the miter saw you're nuts if you wanna hold your hand inches from that blade.

FWIW, I have never used one but saw a link in a previous thread and thought it looked neat.

I cut 2 inch chunks with a chain saw. Just have to be careful.

Back