MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #16
que_dawg
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by abangs View Post
The new design changes are great. Everyone here that knows me knows that I bleed Backwoods, however, I have had an opportunity to demo a new Superior SS-1. The are nice units. I'd put them up against the Stumps any day of the week. My team mate has a Stumps Stretch, I have an arsenal of Backwoods and now the new SS-1 and 2 is around the corner from my house....I'm smelling a side by side comparison and review coming on...Stumps Stretch, Superior SS-1 and a Backwoods Competitor. All similar in capacity and all popular units. That'd be cool.....
I'm down with that. We'll make it happen, Brethren Style!
[url]www.facebook.com/superiorsmokers[/url]
Head Pitmaster In Charge, Superior Smokers
que_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #17
abangs
is one Smokin' Farker

Ok, so I contacted everybody. Smoker Throw Down: Saturday January 26 is the date. We will feature a Stumps Stretch, a new Superior SS-1, and a new Backwoods Competitor. The format: Side by Side. We will light all 3 at the same time. We will cook 1 butt, 1 rack of ribs, and 1 whole chicken on each smoker....same recipe, prep method, etc. on each meat. We will compare time to cooking temp, recovery time on open pit, time to cook to meat doneness, fuel consumption on each pit, biscuit test on each, and we'll compare the meat when cooked (this part is subjective but we'll do our best to compare each..moisture, texture, flavor differences). We will also all use the same wood and charcoal. We will have PRON or each pit, the pit owner, and the progress of the Throw Down throughout the day.

This is gonna be fun!!!!

Oh yea, to be fair, we will be in Gainesville, GA. If there are any other pit manufacturers in the area that would like to throw thier pit in the Throw down, PM me, nadachance, or que dawg. Be nice to get a DW, Assassin, Rebel, and Pitmaker in as well.
abangs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #18
Deep South
Full Fledged Farker

Good stuff!

I'm definately interested in hearing recovery times and differences in smoke flavor.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #19
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by abangs View Post
Ok, so I contacted everybody. Smoker Throw Down: Saturday January 26 is the date. We will feature a Stumps Stretch, a new Superior SS-1, and a new Backwoods Competitor. The format: Side by Side. We will light all 3 at the same time. We will cook 1 butt, 1 rack of ribs, and 1 whole chicken on each smoker....same recipe, prep method, etc. on each meat. We will compare time to cooking temp, recovery time on open pit, time to cook to meat doneness, fuel consumption on each pit, biscuit test on each, and we'll compare the meat when cooked (this part is subjective but we'll do our best to compare each..moisture, texture, flavor differences). We will also all use the same wood and charcoal. We will have PRON or each pit, the pit owner, and the progress of the Throw Down throughout the day.

This is gonna be fun!!!!

Oh yea, to be fair, we will be in Gainesville, GA. If there are any other pit manufacturers in the area that would like to throw thier pit in the Throw down, PM me, nadachance, or que dawg. Be nice to get a DW, Assassin, Rebel, and Pitmaker in as well.

Now this is great. Wish I hadn't already ordered my stumps so I could make a decision based on this review. As a previous Backwoods gator owner, I can tell you I wouldn't buy another but I am curious to see how it works next to the stumps and others.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #20
ATucker

Gonna be fun!!!!!

Old 01-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #21
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

This sounds awesome!

Old 01-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #22
sparky'
Full Fledged Farker

looking forward this this.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #23
bwsy2k

Very Nice looking pits, also interested in the pricing.
Thanks
bwsy2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #24
Bluebird
is one Smokin' Farker

Can't wait.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #25
abangs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskew82 View Post
Now this is great. Wish I hadn't already ordered my stumps so I could make a decision based on this review. As a previous Backwoods gator owner, I can tell you I wouldn't buy another but I am curious to see how it works next to the stumps and others.
To each his own. After cooking on a Stumps Classic two years ago for 6 months, I would not have another Stumps for anything!! I'm intersted in seeing how the Throw Down shapes up!! It'll be a good thing to do. I am really hoping that someone with some of the other gravity rigs and water rigs is in the area and willing to play!

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #26
hogzgonewild
Full Fledged Farker

I picked up my two new SS-One smokers yesterday, and they are a thing of beauty. I really love the addition of the grease pan holder and the ball valve on the side. That helps keep the Guru fan wires from getting caught in the door. And it doesn't hurt that I can now cook up to 40 Butts, 20 Briskets, and 20 racks of ribs.

I really want to come attend this throw down on the 26th, because I've been singing the praises of these Superior's all year, and its great to see a fellow competitor and friend revamp the company. I could never understand why Stumps had such a long waiting list, and I was able to get my Superiors in just a few weeks. I think the SS-One's and SS-Two's are the perfect Size, and putting the firebox in the back, to allow the door to open 180*, is a HUGE improvement over the Stumps design. I think you guys are going to be pleasantly surprised with the results of the throw down!
hogzgonewild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #27
abangs
is one Smokin' Farker

If I were a gravity guy, then the Superiors really are the unit I would go with. But, given that you will have to pry my meat off of a water smoker.....ahemmm.....Backwoods....it'll be a long time before you see me on one!!!

Old 01-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #28
abangs
is one Smokin' Farker

Ok everybody, the Great 2013 Smoker Throw down just got serious....we have a videographer willing to work for BBQ and beer!!!

Old 01-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #29
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I am looking forward to this throwdown!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk