MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:28 AM   #1
Briney Dave
Got Wood.

Default An epic bbq guys Memphis tour

Ok my Pork eating pals here is a tough one to get a straight answer for but here goes:

For years a pal and I (and sometimes a guy or two more) have taken a one day BBQ trip on Good Friday to some BBQ joints that we have not been to. Being from the flat part of NW Ohio that always means some driving. Loads of fun and always a couple stories to tell when we get back. Almost always the owner or pit master has come out to talk with us and we end up with sampler plates of their best stuff while we talk Q and a tour of the pits and so on. By far the best Friday of the whole year.

Well yesterday the wife of a guy who has been invited a few times but never able to go for one reason or another called me and asked me to take the poor lad on (in her words) a an "epic trip as a special birthday gift". I racked my pea size brain for all of a half second and settled on Memphis. A trip that I myself and kicked around for a long time but never had the time or what ever for basically an excuse good enough to go. But now I must take this trip, not for me of course but for the poor birthday boy. (ok for me and he can come along if it fits his schedule LOL)

My thoughts were to stay a couple nights as to be able to hit the famous places but also the holes in the wall that are still serving Q the right way.

Here is the help part. I would like us to generate a top ten list of Memphis and the near by (less than an hour from the town propper)BBQ must eat at places.

Thanks in advance for the knowledge
Briney
Briney Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

well Briney, i'll tell ya... i have no idea! i've never been west of pennsylvania. but i'm happy to be the first to tell you and your friend to have a great time and to post some pics if you can! enjoy!
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
NebraskaBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

You must go to Neely's Interstate BBQ. You simply must.
NebraskaBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
Cliff H.
is One Chatty Farker

The trip wouldn't be complete without stopping at Rendezvous.

Triple 5 Competition BBQ

Formerly know as :

Metro Appliances and More Cooking Team
Cliff H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
paydabill
is one Smokin' Farker

Went last year and looking to go back in May - I would do Rendezvous, but do not get your hopes up.

There was one on Beal street - Pigs in the Park.

Corkeys!
2 pellet cookers latter!
CBJ - love judging
KCBS - member for 4 years
MOFO Chapter

Super fast - BLUE Thermopen
paydabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #6
BingZ
Found some matches.

Be sure to hit Leonard's and Central BBQ, they are favorites. Also, there is another Neely's on Jefferson Street. It is run by Pat Neely (he and his wife have a show on the Food Network), not as good as Neely's Interstate but definitely worth a try.
BingZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff H. View Post
The trip wouldn't be complete without stopping at Rendezvous.
I wouldn't agree, well certainly not for the food but go in and maybe look around/appetizer. Grill/fast ribs aren't the best. It wouldn't make my top 10.

Interstate (for the beans and spaghetti)
Germantown Commissary (chopped shoulder and tamales) yes tamales
Central BBQ
BBQ Shoppe

Haven't been back in a while but those are my places.

Make sure to try Dry vs Wet ribs, it's really a BIG point of discussion in Memphis.

Stop by the Peabody for the duck parade.
Hit up Fogo De Chiao (sp) for the all you can eat Brazilian Meat Extravaganza.

Russ
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
Briney Dave
Got Wood.

I ate at Neely's in Nashville, Liked it fine

keep the list coming
Old 05-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briney Dave View Post
Ok my Pork eating pals here is a tough one to get a straight answer for but here goes:

For years a pal and I (and sometimes a guy or two more) have taken a one day BBQ trip on Good Friday to some BBQ joints that we have not been to. Being from the flat part of NW Ohio that always means some driving. Loads of fun and always a couple stories to tell when we get back. Almost always the owner or pit master has come out to talk with us and we end up with sampler plates of their best stuff while we talk Q and a tour of the pits and so on. By far the best Friday of the whole year.

Well yesterday the wife of a guy who has been invited a few times but never able to go for one reason or another called me and asked me to take the poor lad on (in her words) a an "epic trip as a special birthday gift". I racked my pea size brain for all of a half second and settled on Memphis. A trip that I myself and kicked around for a long time but never had the time or what ever for basically an excuse good enough to go. But now I must take this trip, not for me of course but for the poor birthday boy. (ok for me and he can come along if it fits his schedule LOL)

My thoughts were to stay a couple nights as to be able to hit the famous places but also the holes in the wall that are still serving Q the right way.

Here is the help part. I would like us to generate a top ten list of Memphis and the near by (less than an hour from the town propper)BBQ must eat at places.

Thanks in advance for the knowledge
Briney

1) When are you going
2) Days of the week...some places closed Sunday, not open some weekday nights

My List in no perticular order:

1) Cozy Corner
2) BBQ Shop
3) Corky's
4) Rondevous
5) Post Office BBQ in Atoka
6) Neely's Interstate BBQ
7) Gus's Fried Chicken - not bbq but a MUST if you go to Memphis
Germantown Commisary
9) Central BBQ
10) Natural Born Grillers in Southaven

Neil Gallagher

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, RectTec680, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18.5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem"

Want to join the team for Memphis in May?
[url]http://www.toosaucedtopork.com[/url]
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #10
Briney Dave
Got Wood.

I think the plan right now is to go in July. Leave on a Thursday evening, drive all night and get checked into a cheap motel. Then eat pork, sleep, eat more pork, sleep then leave Sunday morning for the ten or so hour drive back home

so We would be around all day Friday and evening as well as Saturday and that evening

can you help me with which are open when? That sounds like a great list:

I made the mistake of reading some reviews from a top ten sight Everyone ripped every place. Not sure after reading the list if there was a decent rack of ribs to be found in the whole town. Then came to my senses are realized that some just write that sort of bunk just to hear themselves talk or sound like they know what they are talking about
Old 05-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSaucedToPork View Post
1) When are you going
2) Days of the week...some places closed Sunday, not open some weekday nights

My List in no perticular order:

1) Cozy Corner
2) BBQ Shop
3) Corky's
4) Rondevous
5) Post Office BBQ in Atoka
6) Neely's Interstate BBQ
7) Gus's Fried Chicken - not bbq but a MUST if you go to Memphis
Germantown Commisary
9) Central BBQ
10) Natural Born Grillers in Southaven

Neil Gallagher
Excellent list - I'd leave off Rendevous unless you just want the experience of watching someone selling about a gazillion dollars worth of BBQ in one day.
I've never been to 5 or 10 so...Also, The BBQ Shop on Madison Ave is good too.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #12
bbqpitstop

Absolutely Germantown commissary....and let's not forget Sarge's place: Whole Hog Cafe......go see the Memphis in May trophies in all their glory in the middle of the place. If Sarge is there and you tell him Shelly from Desperados bbq sent you I'm sure he'll give you the kitchen tour.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:22 AM   #13
Briney Dave
Got Wood.

hope that is not one of those recommendations where they take me out back and kick the tar out of me for mentioning you LOL

even though its a couple months away I am already getting geeked about going. Should be a load of fun. I will be sure to nab some pictures to post and write up a few of the re-tellable in public tales.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:35 AM   #14
Briney Dave
Got Wood.

Thanks to all of you for the help. my hope is to hit six or so places this trip with the idea that I will have to come back another time to hit some more

What do you (all) make of some of the on-line type reviews. I read through a few pages and if I were to take them at their word none of the places on the list are worth being knocked down much less paying for food at.

Am I right in thinking that most are ax grinders and not real thoughts?
I want to be able to take my friend to some famous but still good places. The good part being the key part. I don't really care if the owner is on tv or serves a 1000 racks a night if the food is good then I want to go if its not then I don't
Old 05-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #15
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Here's Diva-Q's Memphis trip with some reviews:

http://divaq.ca/my-memphis-experience
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote