Poor mans cold smoker mod

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Some one taught me how to do this. I would have never thought of this cuz i hardly ever use this tool

Take a soldering iron and remove the tip. Take a round tall cookie tin with a metal lid and poke a hole in it big enough for the iron. poke 4 small hole in the back and one big one. fill with chips and plug it in. in about 15 minutes you have smoke.

GEDC0532.jpg

GEDC0533.jpg

GEDC0534.jpg

Now its time to test it out. Smoked gouda with either apple or cherry

What kind of chamber are you putting that smoker in to get the smoke to the cheese?

:biggrin: I may try this myself depending on the results. I like the ease and flexibility. I'm mostly curious to know how hot the container it is put in gets from the soldering iron and the smoking wood.

fter half an hour the container was cool enough to still keep in me hand

Nice Ghetto Smoker, I'm gonna try this one myself, cheese enough around here and Gouda is a good choice but i think i'm gonna use old amsterdam or maaslander :)

Good idea LT...made me think...I am going to try using the ash catcher on my kettle. :-D

Coldsmoker001.jpg

Good tip...or I could use a wood burner craft thing I have and never use.
Thanks

Have not bought any yet. Still trying to figure out what to use as the housing part. haha. i gotta go practice piano and guitar and then after that i will try it out

CRAP. i got hung up playing guitar and piano and relaxin that i forgot to smoke me cheese

I've tried the ash pan thing, and the can works better. Just shake it after about an hour or so to get fresh chips against the hot tip. I use a smaller can, and it gets pretty warm, but not enough to get the temps up in the smoker.

I use my Smoke Hollow vertical smoker for the "smoke house", but anything with racks for the cheese would work. A cardboard box with racks in it would be fine.

Here's where I got my brilliant idea....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sivMMDnUEpc

This works great BTW.

Jerry

I've tried the ash pan thing, and the can works better. Just shake it after about an hour or so to get fresh chips against the hot tip. I use a smaller can, and it gets pretty warm, but not enough to get the temps up in the smoker.

I use my Smoke Hollow vertical smoker for the "smoke house", but anything with racks for the cheese would work. A cardboard box with racks in it would be fine.

Here's where I got my brilliant idea....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sivMMDnUEpc

This works great BTW.

Jerry

Cool thread thanks, need to get some pellets.:smile:

I have a coffee can that I when I get around to it maybe this weekend drill big enough holes for it to support like a 6 coal fire, the ones in it are too small. Then put a chunk or 2 on top. I have a steel plate to cover the can and the exhaust is routed into a 5 gallon pail through an 8 inch steel tube. I hadn't thought about stale smoke in the chamber, should I leave the lid off of the bucket or cut 4 or 5 one inch holes in it? Or should I put some ice around the smoke outlet. Boy this sounds like a discusion from high school shop class. :lol:

Back