MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:59 PM   #1
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

Default Minion Method on offset

Hey all.. now that I have a custom charcoal basket (thanks to a brother here) and a custom baffle - thanks to the same brother. :-) I am ready to try a smoke on my offset using "the method."

Just want to review the way it works.. full bag of lump or briquets in the basket. wood chunks interspersed in the lump.. light a chimney of about 20 briquets or comparable lump and carefully pour it into the middle of the charcoal in the basket... add wood as needed.

My offset firebox is a bit leaky I think.. particularly around the door.. Fire control can be a bitch sometimes.. how much time can I expect to get out of a large bag of lump using the basket in this way?

Cooking two butts a brisket, some fatties and some almonds on Sat.

Thanks!

B
UDS
Blutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
ushi
Knows what a fatty is.

When I first tried to do it on my offset, I wound up with a towering inferno.

Made for excellent chicken. Not so great beef ribs. I think I added too much lit charcoal. I don't have a basket or anything though. I just kind of piled a bunch of charcoal on the grate and put the lit charcoal in the middle.

I've had more success with temp control now, and I get a pretty solid burn out of it. It doesn't really die out for around 5-6 hours. I found to maintain temps I start adding briquettes at around the 3-4 hour mark.
ushi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2007, 07:11 PM   #3
backyardchef
Babbling Farker

Hey Blutch...

I think if your firebox is as leaky as you say it is, you might have a hard time with "the method." That technique relies on being able to control the burn, so that it slowly eats away the fuel. You may have a situation where the whole basket is lit before you know it. Maybe not. Just something to keep an eye on. You might want to start with a smaller amount of lit lump to get things moving more slowly.....Just a thought.

Edit: I think Ushi and hit send at the same time....similar thought.

The Hampton Smoker Blog: http://backyardchef.blogspot.com

7' Meadow Creek reverse flow w/ a 4' grill on the nose, named Large Marge
48" Klose Backyard Chef named Wubby
Willy the Wonder Grill
Weber Kettle named Georgiette
ECB Spider Web Collector Model
Char-Griller Smokin' Pro Firebrick Supremo
backyardchef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

Any suggestions on how to keep this from happening other than starting with less lit fuel at the beginning?

Thanks

B
UDS

Old 03-07-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

Instead of put the lit coals on top, leave a coffee can sized hole in one corner nearest the cooking chamber. Pour in about a 1/3 lit chimney of coals into the hole. This causes the burn to go against the air flow, and delays ignition. Once your pit is up to temp, close off intake 3/4 closed, or completely closed if firebox is drafty. Exhaust might have to be closed about 1/4 if temps keep rising.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2007, 08:29 PM   #6
Brauma

A WHOLE BAG OF LUMP?? Thats a bit much. I normally spread out 1 maybe 1 & 1/2 chimneys full of unlit in my basket. Then put 1 full load of lit on top.

Or, I pile my unlit closer to the vents (air intake) and leave space for my lit to be dumped near the smoke hole so the fumes from the unlit have to pass over the fire before it enters the smoker chamber.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2007, 09:48 PM   #7
thillin

And take my instructions with a grain of salt. I use a Klose "S" shaped basket. It cuts down on how many briquetts light up.
Weber 1 touch CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty

Old 03-07-2007, 11:35 PM   #8
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

I use a basket with removable dividers in it in my BSKD. I divide it into 3 sections, load the two from the airvent forward with unlit coals and then por a chimney of lit coals into the section closest to the smoke chamber. Over time, the other sections light by themselves and I just keep oving the coals forward over time and add more unlit to the now empty sections.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2007, 07:14 AM   #9
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

John, do you have any pictures of this setup?

Thanks

B
UDS

Old 03-09-2007, 09:17 AM   #10
kpelch
Found some matches.

Default leaky firebox

i had some gaps in my firebox around the doors and fixed it using foil. scrunch it up to form a "snake" and put it around the edges of the door and when you close it, it is like a gasket, works great.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:36 PM   #11
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

Ok.. i installed my new baffle - wow - and divided the charcoal basket into three sections with two small pieces of grill.. I'll put lump in the two sections toward the air vent and lit lump into the section closest to the smoke chamber. once the different sections catch fire, should I remove the grill sections dividing them?

I'm going to try the foil gaskets too.. doing 2 briskets, 2 butts, 4 fatties and 3 lbs of almonds.

Can't wait.

B
UDS

Old 03-09-2007, 10:46 PM   #12
thillin

Your deviders need to be solid. To get an idea of what I'm talking about look at the partial dividers on mine here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MyKlose.jpg (131.1 KB, 220 views)
Weber 1 touch CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty

Old 03-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #13
smokinbadger
Full Fledged Farker

Not only do the dividers need to be solid, it's better if there is an air gap between a pair of baffles, like in the Klose basket. This prevents the charcoal from getting lit too early, due to heat conduction across the baffle. You want to have the charcoal nearest the food chamber burn first and the flame front to progress through the S-channel away from the food chamber to the firebox inlet.

I have both a homemade basket for the Bandera and a Klose basket for the Klose. The principle with both is the same: Fill all but the food chamber end of the basket with unlit charcoal, leaving enough room for a chinmey full of lit charcoal. Dump the lit charcoal in, and close the lid on the firebox. This is very important, as frequently opening the firebox, especially for longer periods of time will allow the unlit charcoal to light up "out of order" spiking your temperatures. My first attempt with this was a really hot disaster, but I got it mastered pretty quickly.

Klose Widebody MasterChef * XL BGE * WSM * Weber Performer * La Caja China * Cookshack 055 *
Big Stainless Gasser *
smokinbadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2007, 05:22 PM   #14
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

Does the unlit actually touch some of the lit charcaol in this S-shaped thing or is there space? I suppose I could use bricks or something to create this effect in my basket?

Thanks

B
UDS

Old 03-10-2007, 07:35 PM   #15
thillin

Yes it touches. Is just an "S" shaped pile that burns against airflow. I was getting abougt 5 hours loaded 3/4 full. I havn't messed with the basket in almost a year. I'm about to try a few new techniques though. You just don't want all of it to light at once.
Weber 1 touch CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty