Why were Apple wood chunks the most expensive?

zymguy

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Was in the Menards today for woodchunks and apple were a couple dollars more than Mesquite and Hickory ???? Why?

Western Wood says that they are harder to get and less wood available so that is why their's are more expensive.

Apple wood is more rare because people want apples every year and do not want to cut them down for smoking .

They are slower growers and as freak said, they're grown for their fruit which it produces every year, it only produces smoking work once.

See if there are any orchards in your area. Offer some ribs to the owners in exchange for wood trimmings.

I have 2 apples and a huge maple in my yard and the trimmings/prunings off just these and a couple of my neighbors huge maples go a long way.

I know several brethren have mentioned finding local orchard owners in various posts.

I have access to lots of property with maple, so that will prob be my primary wood.
I guess i was looking at it wrong, my thinking was apple can grow here , the other to had to travel alot further

to bad you did not live closer and I would sell you some at a very fair price , my neighbor has a apple orchard and he wants me to cut five trees down but the only time he does let me is when they are dying and not producing anymore . he thought the soil he had was killing them but last year I was cutting one up and about a thousand ants poured out of it , lol .

Back