Garlic Cloves in Brisket?

airedale

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Some recipes for beef roast feature making small cuts and inserting (peeled) garlic cloves. What do you experts think about trying this with a low and slow brisket?

I love garlic, I say go for it man. I'm not sure if it will season areas other than its immediate little slit though. It's worth it just to eat chunks of smoked garlic cloves

I've done it with lamb, and like Matt said, I don't think it does much outside the immediate area, but if you are a garlic fan, man does it smell good while cooking, and yes a little nugget of goodness while eating.

We used to do that with lamb and pork shoulder, as the meat renders and reaches pulling temperatures, the garlic infuses the meat around it. Once pulled/chopped, the garlicky meat mixes with the other meat, each bite changes a bit. It's good stuff. Once he retired, and my mom could no longer cook, my dad started doing this, but, he would use two heads of garlic per shoulder.

I've pureed fresh garlic and injected it laterally deep around the outside edges of roasts from the sides - works well and the flavor gets further into the meat without being overbearing.

Too funny considering what I just posted. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222255

I would do it. If you're concerned, try doing just part of the brisket. The flavor will be fairly localized.

I'm not sure I would do it as I prefer S&P for the smoke and horseradish for serving brisket. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't turn it down either. :wink:

Porcupine brisket. :tongue:

Back