Diabetes and BBQ

Lockon

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was recently (Tuesday) diagnosed with diabetes. I still have to schedule an appointment with a dietician, but I was wondering if I can still eat BBQ? I guess I will have to cut out the 3-2-1 method for ribs with honey and brown sugar? I sure hope I don't have to give up the que. Feeling disappointed :cry:

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis, and hope everything goes well with your dietician and future management. You'll certainly need to drastically reduce your sugar/carb intake, but giving up Q is nothing you'll need to worry about! Many people use salt/pepper/onion/garlic/other spices and omit sugars from their rubs and sauces, you'll just need to adjust your style a bit. A good friend of mine has managed his type 2 so well, he's been weaned off of the diabetes meds as well. Don't lose hope,prayers heading your way!

First of all, I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis.
As long as you don't splurge in sugary que everyday you should be fine.
You could also try "dry" ribs.
Exercise will help a lot also in maintaining good A1C levels.

Good luck.

Very supportive replies, guys. Thoughtful

Lockon- that's no fun to hear. Sorry for your burden.

While BBQ has sugar, it also has fat and protein -a lot. This makes BBQ a naturally low glycemic response food. Because of the presence of the fat and protein, the sugar is introduced into your bloodstream much more slowly. Your pancreas doesn't suddenly go into a panic to create enormous quantities of insulin in response

Sorry about the news. Welcome to the world of type 2, (april, 2015). Watch the carbs, get moving, shed some pounds. Meat ain't carbs. If you check many sauces the carbs rate is not that bad as long as you are not doing shots of it! The internet is filled with bad info that will tell you of all kinds of amazing things to control your BG. WebMD and Diabetes.org should be your sources. Mayo clinic has info also.

If you want to chat more feel free to pm me. It's a lifestyle change. Fasting BG was over 300 now average for last >110 readings is 120 and dropping. You can do this.

Diabetic and a nurse here and eat BBQ all the time. Just have to watch what has sugar and what doesn't. Plus it doesn't mean that you can't have BBQ that has some sugar in it. It's a trade off. So instead of eating ribs and french fries or potato salad, eat ribs and some kind of veggie. You can work it.

My wife is a certified dietician dealing with diabetics daily. It pays to understand the issue yourself. It was only last month wasn't it, where they told us our dietary cholesterol efforts have been wasted for the last 20 years

A diabetic diet is basically a low carb diet. I try to cut my carbs somewhere else. Less pasta, less rice, less bread. The amount of sugars in BBQ sauces, beans etc. I don't worry about too much. Just not as much mac n cheese anymore... Sigh....

My wife has to control her salt and sugar intake. BBQ without them is delicious. In fact, I don't even like sweet or salty food anymore. If you buy good meat, you don't meed to hide the flavor. For example, full spares or St. Louis cut spares are full of flavor and need little besides herbs and spices to taste great. The most sugar I ever use on a full slab of spares is 1/2 tablespoon.

Wow..thank you all for the overwhelming responses and support!! Good to know I can still have brisket and ribs.

Tom

Last August I was also diagnosed with diabetes, since then I have lost a little over 100 pounds. My A1C was good the last time it was checked, I'll have it checked again this month.

As for BBQ I still eat it all the time but cook it without all the sugary rubs and actually like it better dry. The main thing you need to learn is portion control and exercise. I have also stopped all breads unless it's 100% whole wheat and stopped all sugar intake. Veggies on the grill are good as is steamed veggies. To start with I thought I was going to starve, now it's not so bad.

Good luck with the diabetes, it is a lifestyle change that is doable.

I was recently diagnosed as well. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

I see a dietician as well. we are watching carbs relatively close and cutting out most sugar from my diet which includes brown sugar, honey etc. I talked to her about me grilling and smoking foods and she was all for it minus the bbq sauce. She said she would rather me eat grilled or smoked versus pan fried.

So now when I do ribs or butts I only add sauce to 1 rack of ribs for the wife and boys and leave another rack nekkid. The butts I do not add sauce to either. I make it sauce on the side.

I recently went thru the same scare. I decided that I was going to change everything and remove or replace salts, sugars and lead a healthier life. After a couple of visits with my dietitian, we determined that it may not be that good for me to eat BBQ as much as I do, so I did cut back a little, but drastically cut back on the starches, and breads that go along with BBQ, notice I didn’t say I cut them out just reduced them. I am on a regiment that requires me for at the time being to monitor my blood sugar every 4 hours, and what I have found is that by reducing the breads and starches, I can still pig out on BBQ and there is a very minor change in my blood sugar. One thing you want to stay away from is commercially made BBQ sauce, if you have to have sauce make it yourself so you can control what goes into it, and things like honey and agave nectar are easier on your glycemic index, and don’t cause as high of a spike.
Good luck and wish you the best, but be comfortable knowing its not the end of BBQ as you know it

... I can still pig out on BBQ and there is a very minor change in my blood sugar. One thing you want to stay away from is commercially made BBQ sauce, if you have to have sauce make it yourself so you can control what goes into it, and things like honey and agave nectar are easier on your glycemic index, and don’t cause as high of a spike.

Great post. Measuring every four hours gives you great data

A diabetic diet is basically a low carb diet. I try to cut my carbs somewhere else. Less pasta, less rice, less bread. The amount of sugars in BBQ sauces, beans etc. I don't worry about too much. Just not as much mac n cheese anymore... Sigh....

You had to remind me about the mac n cheese lol

Meats are not really an issue when it comes to diabetes, just cut out carby/starchy stuff, cut out sugary drinks....but BBQ should be fine, maybe don't smother it in sweet sauces and go with an NC style suace, which I prefer anyway. At a typical BBQ the meat is probably the healthiest food, it's the sides that are the killers.

Complex Carbs are your enemy not sugar. Simple carbs are metabolized differently and in moderation will not spike your BS. You can sub agave for honey it has a lower glycemic value than sugars because it is a simple carbohydrate. The effects of carbs on blood sugar hence your A1C can be reduced with a higher fiber intake.

Hang in there all is not lost! Follow your diet and things will be good. My ma' has diabetes and I cook 'Cue for her when she visits, with no impact on her bs level. Heres a salad recipe I use all the time with all kinds of stuff like briskies, pulled pork, and chicken.

Dressing:
2 tbsp good olive oil
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp dried italian herbs: oregano, rosemary, thyme, basil, and marjoram
Dash of sea salt
Fresh cracked pepper to taste

Salad:
50/50 mix, spring mix, or romaine hearts
1/2 fresh chopped tomato
1/4 red onion finely chopped
1/4 cup fat free feta cheese

1. Mix the dressin ingredients and add tomatos and onions. Let sit in bowl for at least 10 min.
2. Toss salad with dressing and top with feta cheese and choice of animal.
3. If using romaine hearts, split leaves and place them whole on a large casserole dish. Spoon the dressing into the center and top with feta, animal, and avocado, then eat the leaves like a taco!

Wife throws nuts and all kinds of stuff on hers too. Enjoy and stay happy!

Don't panic. That's what most newly diagnosed diabetics do. I've had diabetics for years. Not a big problem. Yeah you'll have to change some old bad habits which should have been changed years ago. Basic sound nutrition is the key. All things in moderation.

Back