Smoking Fish

Bossmanbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have a friend who is wanting me to smoke a 8lb brown that he caught. I have NO CLUE how to smoke this bad boy and what type of rub etc. to use. Any suggestions or sucess stories :shock: Thanks in advance

If I cold smoke fish (sub 200* range) it gets brined in a salt water/sugar brine for a minimum of 8 hours.

Thanks for the post Brauma, I have a bunch of salmon to get in the smoker tomorrow.

I'm assuming that you are talking about a brown trout (an 8 lb brown in colorado is a nice fish!). For salmon or trout, I brine them in a brine of salt (doh!), water and pineapple juice for an hour. Then I rinse and dry the fillets or steaks and cover them with about 1/4 inch of brown sugar, sprinkle on some fennel seeds and then place sliced onions on top of it all. Then into the smoke (I prefer cold smoke, but that's hard to do with our type of cooker, so keep the temps low. Randy's site linked above says 140-200. I try to keep it below 180) and smoke until done, probably a few hours, depending on the thickness of the fish.

The final step is to wrap some in several layers of plastic wrap, pack securely and ship to me!

Ron_L said:
I'm assuming that you are talking about a brown trout (an 8 lb brown in colorado is a nice fish!). For salmon or trout, I brine them in a brine of salt (doh!), water and pineapple juice for an hour. Then I rinse and dry the fillets or steaks and cover them with about 1/4 inch of brown sugar, sprinkle on some fennel seeds and then place sliced onions on top of it all. Then into the smoke (I prefer cold smoke, but that's hard to do with our type of cooker, so keep the temps low. Randy's site linked above says 140-200. I try to keep it below 180) and smoke until done, probably a few hours, depending on the thickness of the fish.

The final step is to wrap some in several layers of plastic wrap, pack securely and ship to me!

Ron, it is a brown Trout, this guy is the fisherman of fishermen, I did 25 pieces of salmon for him from his trip from Alaska. I just have never done smoked trout, I just didnt want to screw it up. Thanks for all the advice, you guys ROCK :-D

Back