When last we left our intrepid hero...

borzwazie

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
He did battle with the tough, dry baby back ribs. They bested him in their first encounter, but would our hero prevail in their next meeting? Tune in next time to see!

Attachments

• IMG_20110917_150350.jpg
    IMG_20110917_150350.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20110917_150403.jpg
    IMG_20110917_150403.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 133
I tried 3-2-1 with the first set of ribs. Tough, dry, nasty. So, I changed it up this time.

These were actually cooked at 300 (couldn't get drum temps down today for some reason). Went on at noon for 2 hours, foiled for 45 minutes, sauced and cooked for another half hour. Sprayed them with EVOO halfway through to keep them moist.

Tried a brine this time for kicks. Just a touch salty from the brine I used, just a touch, but otherwise wonderful.

You can pull out the bone but the meat has just the right amount of "bite" left in it. Best ribs I ever ate.

I've had so much fun learning how to actually cook meat the right way this summer. That UDS was a great investment.

Those are crazy moist! I think if you can time them right ribs can take the heat, and it looks like you did just that!

Wow I'm surprised at 300 they were still juicy. I use almost that exact line at 250 to get good results. I would think thats too long at 300

Now repeat the performance! It's tough to nail it every time

the other thing I did different today: I put the ribs on the top rack. On the bottom rack, I took a double sheet of foil, enough area to go under the ribs. I poked a bunch of holes in it.

This did a great job keeping my ribs from scorching, and still let juice drip through. Still has good smoke flavor. I'm beginning to think that I should use or make some sort of heat shield between the coals and the meat for everything.

Wow I'm surprised at 300 they were still juicy. I use almost that exact line at 250 to get good results. I would think thats too long at 300

Now repeat the performance! It's tough to nail it every time

Cooking meat at higher temps has no affect on the dry results some people have. I'm a believer that opening up the cooker, spritzing, mopping, doodling, taking pics during cook is what helps with a dry result.

Cruising at 300 and leaving the darn lid closed will make a much better product than low and slow with all the extra peeking, mopping, spritzing, jerking around. IMO, it's all the circle jerking that opens the window for a dry result. Leave the darn thing closed, and let the pressure stay constant, that's what makes good BBQ.

Hot/fast, no diddling around is the ticket, unless you're doing comps, and are looking for a specific result. People over think this hobby too much, it's really quite simple if you let it be. But then again, there are folks who swear if they spend 18 hours cooking a 12 lb pork butt @ 225, spritzing, mopping, peeking, filling water pan, that their results are better. I don't listen to them as they've obviously never had a successful hot and fast cook. I've had plenty, and don't need all the extra work/time to make a good product.

the key here I think to hot and fast was the foiling - I still got juicy, tender meat without 6 hours of cooking. I wouldn't care to foil it too long, I think you'd end up with mush.

the indirect heat also helped, kept the meet from burning.

It's nice to know I can have great food a lot faster.

Back