Thermoworks Smoke - Problems pairing the Smoke unit to the Receiver

bbqpitsmoker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just receiver mine. Worked initially with the receiver paired to the Smoke base station and the temps displaying on the receiver.

Went to use it again, and it just wouldn't display the temps on the receiver, however it didn't display the "Con" error saying that it was out of range etc... It wouldnt even display the temps if held next to the Smoke base station.

The Transmitting icon was displayed on the base station, and the matching item was displayed on the receiver.

I followed the pairing instructions and this didn't help. The receiver never displayed "End" which is the sign of successful pair (the base did).

I then went through various combinations of :

1. removing batteries from the receiver and replacing them
2. Turning off both units and changing the order that they were started.
3. Plugging and un-plugging the probes from the base
4. Pressing various buttons on the screen.
5. Patting my head and rubbing my stomach in a circular motion (maybe I didn't actually do this part).
6. Following the pairing instructions even more times

Tried these steps a number of times and it finally started working, although I am not sure which of the steps finally fixed it?

Has anyone else seen something similar with it?

Yeah, mine has done this. Basically all you have to do is hold the wifi button down for over 5 seconds (and hold your mouth just right) and it reconnects.
You must have a different model Smoke than mine. I just got it over the weekend and there is no WIFI button. :roll:

Mine works fine. I thought the app and WiFi were a 2017 thing?
I would contact thermoworks if you're having a problem. I had a problem with a thermopen one time and they replaced the unit - no problem

Just took mine out of the box yesterday. Paired them up while sitting on the couch with little or no effort on my part. ( just followed the included instructions ) Then tested both probes with boiling water and let the probes stay in the water while it cooled to test alarm feature. All worked as advertised. Will be using it for a cook this weekend, but I feel confident all will be well.

So does this connect over bluetooth or wifi? If bluetooth, can you literally be well inside your house and still get a good connection?

EDIT: website says WiFi version coming out in 2017 (Smoke Gateway). All the same, just how far are you guys getting real-world bluetooth connections? Works through walls/brick?

So does this connect over bluetooth or wifi? If bluetooth, can you literally be well inside your house and still get a good connection?

EDIT: website says WiFi version coming out in 2017 (Smoke Gateway). All the same, just how far are you guys getting real-world bluetooth connections? Works through walls/brick?
The Smoke is neither WIFI nor Bluetooth. It is RF and mine works through a half dozen walls about 80 feet away. Two of those walls are brick over block.
It is basically the same thing as a Maverick ET-733 only far easier to setup and use.

Mine worked well so far. No complaints. But I only used it once to cook. Interference with other RF devices?

The Smoke is neither WIFI nor Bluetooth. It is RF and mine works through a half dozen walls about 80 feet away. Two of those walls are brick over block.
It is basically the same thing as a Maverick ET-733 only far easier to setup and use.

Great!! Good to hear because I believe Santa is getting one of these bad boys for me!
:loco:

I just used mine last week through a couple of brick walls, a couple of sheetrock walls, and more... only lost connection when I went clear across the other side of the house, and out of range by about 18 inches (and 2 more sets of walls).

Highly impressed with the connection on this piece of kit.

This happened to mine yesterday and I haven't been able to get it to sync back with the base unit following the instructions for pairing. I emailed Thermoworks and they are going to ship me a new receiver to try.

If I had to put my money on the problem I think there is an issue with the pairing implementation.

Try the following series of steps a few times to see if it helps.

1. Remove the batteries from both the base and receiver
2. Replace the batteries
3. Follow the pairing instructions with the 2 devices next to eachother, and wait as long as you can to see if the pairing completes (ie wait 5 minutes per attempt).

I think this was what solved it for me

If I had to put my money on the problem I think there is an issue with the pairing implementation.

Try the following series of steps a few times to see if it helps.

1. Remove the batteries from both the base and receiver
2. Replace the batteries
3. Follow the pairing instructions with the 2 devices next to eachother, and wait as long as you can to see if the pairing completes (ie wait 5 minutes per attempt).

I think this was what solved it for me

I think I did this about 20 times yesterday over the course of a few hours with no success. The Thermoworks tech support guy was really helpful this morning. They are really fast to respond.

Just as an update, I got my replacement receiver from Thermoworks and it synced in just a few seconds so I'll be shipping my old one back to them.

Back