UDS and smoking fish?

kylersk

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I don't know anything about smoking fish, heck this past year I just started smoking meat. Anyways, is it possible or recommended to smoke fish (trout?) on a UDS? If so, anyone have suggestions/recipes?

I do it all the time. i just season it the way I like it and throw it on there. Doesn't take too long and turns out delicious!

I've smoked a couple of salmon on my UDS and they turned out wonderful. Just keep a careful eye on the fish it only takes a few minutes to cook.

I've smoked a couple of salmon on my UDS and they turned out wonderful. Just keep a careful eye on the fish it only takes a few minutes to cook.

I brined some Salmon and smoked it for about an hour at 190-200 with light Alder chips, best Salmon I've had for a long time. :thumb:

Realize that there are two different types of smoked fish: Hot smoked which is basically just fish cooked in a smoker (brined or not) and cold smoked which is a method of curing (not necessarily cooking). You can easily hot smoke trout in a UDS- brush with a paste of butter, garlic and brown sugar and cook at 225-300 until the flesh flakes easily. Good eating there, apple and alder woods go great with trout.
To cold smoke fish you need to brine it to kill any microbes and reduce the water content of the meat then smoke at 160-180 for several hours until the flesh is firm. Try this link for a good explanation of the process:

http://salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html

Your main obstacle using an UDS may be keeping the temp low enough and consistent. If it gets too hot the fish will cook which will dry it out. Good luck either way you prepare them.

Try some salmon, it'll knock your socks off on the UDS. I use mequite for my salmon cooks. All I do is do some salt, pepper, garlic salt, lemon juice and some pats of margarine.

I do put mine on a piece of foil to avoid any fish being stuck to the grate.

Back