MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
CaptGrumpy
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Epic couple days and big bbq on the rise

I have had few bad episodes yesterday but landed on my feet so to speak and I am ready to BBQ for over 100.
Yesterday I was busy replacing the gaskets on my large & XL BGEs when Iencountered an adhesive issue with one ofthe gasket sets and I set about regluing it with 3mSuper 77 spray adhesive. I had alrady had the dome off the XL and that was the one that had the issue so when I had the mishap it was costly.
OOPS!!! The damned dome slipped out of the band! (I will reveal the problem later)

The dome cracked open and rolled against my left leg and it put quite a deep gash in the side of my calf.

I decided in my infinite wisdom to skip getting stitches and just clean it up, shave it, disinfect with peroxide, and tape it closed. Worked well as I have done this before many many moons ago.

I called my buddy at the BGE distibutor near here and was happy to find out it wasn't going to hurt as bad as I thought. So this morning I drove over to get a new dome and the new updated hinge band and drove home togetthe XL back up and on line because I am cateringa dinner for over 100 on Sunday and I will smoke the ribs tomorrow and then store them in steam trays in thefreefer till Sunday for rewarming, as well as get the tritip smoked and back in the reefer for finishing off over open flame on Sunday. All this so I can duck hunt Saturday.
So today I bought 45 pounds of Farmer John ribs and slathered them with EVOO and Pappy's low salt rub and stacked them into the reefer till tomorrow.

Then the 60+ pounds f tritip slathered in EVOO and a mixture of Pappy's Prime Rib Rub and Pappy's Low Salt Rub and into buckets and off to my church hall around the corner to use the reefer there.

So all the prep work has been finished and the smoke begins in the am.
When I took the trip to the distributor this moring I was trying to figure out why my and would not allow me to bend the bolt because the flanges were tight against each other and then I find out that myXL is smaller diameter because it is the first generation XL BGE and is 26 inches across and the newer XLs are 26 1/4 inch across thus making the band much tighter as it should be. The lower band in the pic is not completely tighten yet when the pic was taken.

The top band can now bend the bolt as needed. The bottom tighten back together as it did with the old band due to the bottom's diameter. Had the band fit properly to begin with this never would have happened and of course BGE would never have had to increase the diameter of the bottom and dome. You can't get a bolt to bend if the tabs are too close to each other. And before they added a 1/4 inch to the diameter BGE knew they had a problem with the band not being able to hold the dome. I will calling headquarters in the morning.

That is the beginning of my episode of taking a few days off from duck hunting. BTW I finally got a Woody after 30 years of hunting! Well a Wood Duckthat is! He is off at the taxidermist!

[COLOR=red]Red Thermapen & Red Guru DigiQII[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkgreen]Large Big Green Egg[/COLOR] [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellowgreen]adopted 25MAR08[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=darkgreen]Small Big Green Egg[/COLOR] [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellowgreen]adopted 01JUN08[/COLOR][/SIZE]
CaptGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

Sorry about your leg but looks like it didn't slow you down. Good luck with the cookout tomorrow! Supposed to rain like mad on Saturday, not sure if that affects duck hunting our not but we got some big storms on the way.
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
jocosa
Full Fledged Farker

Nice Wood duck! He'll look awesome mounted.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
frognot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Charles

Man, this BBQ bidness is dangerous!

Good lookin' Woody. Would love one of them on The Man Room wall but that water fowling is damn hard and miserable hunting so i'll stick with shooting at deers and wild pigs and such.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
Midnight Smoke

You dropped the old dome, right? you said the new dome is 1/4" larger than the old style. But you are saying the lower band will not tighten? Did you get new Bands and they will not fit your old bottom? What did I miss here?

You did get the new XL Dome? How much different is it?

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
CaptGrumpy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Smoker View Post
You dropped the old dome, right? you said the new dome is 1/4" larger than the old style. But you are saying the lower band will not tighten? Did you get new Bands and they will not fit your old bottom? What did I miss here?

You did get the new XL Dome? How much different is it?
The new redesigned for more space dome is not out yet so I got a regular replacement dome for now.It is wider by 1/4 inch and as you can see by the bolt & band pic that the top is fine yet thelower band is not tight enough because the size of the old bottom but itwill work for now. You do not need to worry about your XL as I am certain it is of the newer circumfrence.

[COLOR=red]Red Thermapen & Red Guru DigiQII[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkgreen]Large Big Green Egg[/COLOR] [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellowgreen]adopted 25MAR08[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=darkgreen]Small Big Green Egg[/COLOR] [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellowgreen]adopted 01JUN08[/COLOR][/SIZE]
CaptGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
Phubar

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote