"brown sugar" vs molasses

BBQ Grail

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
How much molasses is in 2 cups of dark brown sugar?

3.5 % for light brown to 6.5% total volume for dark brown

one tablespoon of molases per cup of white sugar for dark brown
1-2 teaspoons of molasses per cup of white sugar for light brown

So, if I wanted the flavor without additional sweetness is would leave out 1 cup of brown sugar but add 1 tablespoon of molasses?

So, if I wanted the flavor without additional sweetness is would leave out 1 cup of brown sugar but add 1 tablespoon of molasses?

I think that is more up to you

we gave you the formula to make it, not how to sub for it..

1C white+1tspn to 1tbspn molasses = brown sugar

what are you trying to use the molasses in as a substitute ?

I have a recipe for BBQ sauce I have come up with. I like it, but it's a little to sweet. If I leave out some of the brown sugar, I lose the flavor of the molasses in the left out brown sugar.

My thinking is I could leave out some of the brown sugar, but put in molasses. That way I would lose sweetness, but not lose the molasses flavor.

Am I flawed here?

Yes you're flawed but the molasses sounds like a good remedy, try it and see if it pans out. Scott

Sure.. that would work but it may also change the viscosity

(got that viscosity from motoeric's blog when he does detailed sauce reviews !!!)

Thanks for asking the question and for the replies! Love this site:-D Learn stuff almost everyday. Thank You!

I knew they made brown sugar with molasses, but never really thought about making it myself at home until now. I wonder how hard it is to mix it in? Probably a good task for the Kitchen-Aid.

Not sure you ever really need to "make" brown sugar....unless you want to look at it. If your using it in a recipe just add both ingredients.

I wonder why adding molasses to white sugar makes it get hard as a rock if you leave it exposed to air?

I understand what Larry is trying to do, but is there a reason to use sugar and molasses instead of just using brown sugar? Better flavor, better control of ingredients....? Inquiring minds want to know:rolleyes:

Or do like I do....

this is the do not tell anyone else mod.....

put in the molasses... then slowly add turbinado sugar until you get the taste (sweetness, or nonsweetness) you want.... measure a little at a time so you know how much you used... then write it on your recipe for next time so you don't forget how much you used, like I did... :idea:

I understand what Larry is trying to do, but is there a reason to use sugar and molasses instead of just using brown sugar? Better flavor, better control of ingredients....? Inquiring minds want to know:rolleyes:

My goal is to have less sweetner but not lose the flavor of the molasses. I want the sweetness of 1 cup of brown sugar, but the molasses of 2 cups.

So if I had 1 cup of brown sugar and a tablespoon of molasses I should accomplish what I need to do.

I'll know tonight if that idea works.

Larry if you can get some sorghum syrup(molasses some people call it) I think you would be more please with the flavor it lot milder than cane molasses . Like I said dont know if they make it in ca around here farmer make it at home.
41g4BC-fioL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I have some sorghum I got along with rub in a trade. I'll give it a try.

I just pour some of this with some of that until it tastes good!:biggrin: Then 4 months later when I go to make more, I get a whole new good tasting different sauce!!:biggrin::biggrin: I think it's a Northern Italian thing.

I just pour some of this with some of that until it tastes good!:biggrin: Then 4 months later when I go to make more, I get a whole new good tasting different sauce!!:biggrin::biggrin: I think it's a Northern Italian thing.

And I can respect that. I love doing that too! But I'm trying to come up with what will be our "signature" sauce for the catering. And enter in the California State Fair this year.

Back