MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:12 AM   #91
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

The Rick Browne class looks interesting to me, as does Franklin’s. But this forum is a master class in its own right if you know who to listen to.

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #92
ndg4405
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace View Post
I'm curious. Can you tell me more about which courses and books you found really useful?
Local live courses are great and I have a whole bookshelf worth of bbq books and recipes. Recipes are pretty commoditized these days though and you can find good ones anywhere whether that's a book or online or just speaking with a friend.

I'd stick with my previous recommendation though on if you are going to take an online course I'm all for the Grill Master University one
ndg4405 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2019, 04:49 PM   #93
didisea
Take a breath!

The parts about wood and smoke are good, because not many classes cover that aspect of cooking very well. While I don't cook on a stick burner, the fire management part was interesting. Most of his techniques are totally geared to how he cooks at the restaurant, and not necessarily what you'd do at a comp or at home. His use of a towel to pick up hot meat was interesting, and how he uses his fingers to feel for doneness can only be learned from many years of cooking meat. As with all classes, there are some "nuggets," and there are some things that won't work for me. But I thought it was pretty interesting.
didisea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2019, 05:21 PM   #94
Tannhauser42
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : X

If anybody's curious, Malcom Reed (Killer Hogs / How To BBQ Right) gives his thoughts on Franklin's Masterclass in his latest podcast:
https://youtu.be/Kz4TnH5VR4M?t=2009
Tannhauser42 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:26 AM   #95
grace

Name/Nickname : Anna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanco Connection View Post
The Rick Browne class looks interesting to me, as does Franklin’s. But this forum is a master class in its own right if you know who to listen to.
That's true! Glad to be a part of this forum because of that
grace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2019, 10:34 AM   #96
grace

Name/Nickname : Anna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndg4405 View Post
Local live courses are great and I have a whole bookshelf worth of bbq books and recipes. Recipes are pretty commoditized these days though and you can find good ones anywhere whether that's a book or online or just speaking with a friend.

I'd stick with my previous recommendation though on if you are going to take an online course I'm all for the Grill Master University one
Oh I think I've seen that course around. But yeah, I'm really in that learn learn learn kinda mode, so I'm inclined to check this Grill Master University course out. Thanks dude!
grace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2019, 03:56 AM   #97
route66
Knows what a fatty is.

I don't know how others view their BBQ classes taken but sadly it has turned into a money machine for winning pitmasters. I have spent from $100 to $700 for classes from the best who all stated they show everything they do, no secrets only to learn they were telling white lies. holding out some important info. A couple years back I paid $650 for a class from a very prominent and winning pitmaster which was a fun experience as I was entered in a contest the next day in the same town, but I was not overwhelmed when we tasted his final products. As luck would have it I happened to be placed next to him at the following days contest making shigging a given. My radar was up and to my surprise, his timings and procedures were much different than what he taught the day before. My thoughts at the time was of betrayal and paying an outrageous fee for being lied to, but I did learn some new tidbits and it did help my game. He did win the contest but I held my own right behind in 3rd not using the classes ideas. Maybe I should have used those tidbits to make up the 3 point difference, wish I could be that quick. This story has an ending as 3 weeks passed with this pitmaster posting he was flying to Vegas for a comp and was looking to borrow some equipment to use. A friend and I had his requested equipment and were honored to cook with him the next couple days in Vegas. Working close I found that what he taught in his class that netted him $25K was not even close to what he really does. I asked him about the sudden changes for him to tell me he changes daily. While he is a nice, likeable guy, I am not buying it.
Back to the A/F post. Anyone who has been to Franklins, LA BBQ or many other greats you will see a theme of a pit full of crusted briskets for show during service time but don't see they are wrapped late afternoon and placed in humidified holding ovens till service the following day. Holding ovens are a step up from an ice chest but if all you have is an ice chest, use it to render that last stubborn fat. A holding oven at 180F for 8 - 14 hours does wonders for the perfect brisket and is never taught.

Last edited by route66; 07-04-2019 at 04:14 AM..
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-08-2019, 02:59 PM   #98
napzard

Name/Nickname : Nap

So I signed up and watched his classes. Compared them to his YouTube videos and they are a bit different. He’s a great teacher, here are some ribs and a brisket cook I did right fresh from his MasterClass.

I brought the brisket over to a friends house and used it in her Pho.

You can see the brownish brisket she made as part of her pho spread in the above photo. I've never had smoked brisket in pho but this will change in the future. It was tasty.

The brisket could’ve used more time cooking to render off more fat, that would’ve been my only critique but that’s purely something I will have to learn.

Last edited by napzard; 07-08-2019 at 03:08 PM..
napzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2019, 05:50 PM   #99
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by napzard View Post
So I signed up and watched his classes. Compared them to his YouTube videos and they are a bit different. He’s a great teacher, here are some ribs and a brisket cook I did right fresh from his MasterClass.

Ribs look legit. Nice little glaze with some S&P texture and not drowning in sauce.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2019, 06:27 PM   #100
Bigdawg580
On the road to being a farker

Like someone said who need a online classes you can learn everything right hear on this forum
Bigdawg580 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2019, 08:46 AM   #101
regreen61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser42 View Post
To be honest, I'm not sure what could be in that class that isn't already in his books, his PBS show, and YouTube videos. He doesn't exactly use secret spice mixes or secret sauces.
I already use the Masterclasses subscription for other instructors. Yes Franklins material may seem a little repetitive if you have watched all of his YouTube content. His Masterclasse contains all of the material with some additional details and explaination in one place. Well worth cost if you haven't seen the YouTube content though I would not have purchased the Masterclass subscription solely for his material.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
regreen61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2019, 09:52 AM   #102
Taylormade
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser42 View Post
If anybody's curious, Malcom Reed (Killer Hogs / How To BBQ Right) gives his thoughts on Franklin's Masterclass in his latest podcast:
https://youtu.be/Kz4TnH5VR4M?t=2009
Not only do they give their thoughts, they honestly talk in great depth about all the things that he doesn't really get into in the YouTube series. If you've watched the YT vids and listen to this podcast, there's little need to purchase the course. They go deep on the fire, how he sets it up, how he maintains temp, the smokers, etc.

If I were MasterClass, I'd be rather unhappy that they're discussing the nitty gritty of the "tips and tricks" and different things he discloses in the series instead of keeping it high level.

Old 07-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #103
optionsmfd
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Matthew

got it from the library for free
optionsmfd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2019, 10:19 AM   #104
Deebo
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Deebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by optionsmfd View Post
got it from the library for free
It's at the library??
Weber Performer w/ Vortex and Slow-n-Sear
Maverick ET-733
Maverick XR-50
Blue Superfast Thermapen
Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2019, 02:46 PM   #105
Deputy J
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Deputy

I ended up splitting a full ($180) membership with a buddy, partially for Franklin's course and partially for a few others, and I can say that it's a solid course. I've read his "Manifesto" book and it's similar enough to where I don't think you miss much if you just stick with the book, though. If you're also interested in, say Penn and Teller or Annie Liebovitz's photography, or Neil Gaiman stories then Masterclass is worth it.

Having taken the course, I better understand how brisket renders, how to approach a fire, and how important it is to actually have a cook day plan and take notes along the way. If you're new/intermediate it'll help you; if you're old hand you might pick up a few things but there's no secrets he's letting you in on.

The only real criticism I have of the course is that his way of building and maintaining fires is really geared toward his smokers: a round firebox with no fire grill/grate on it (the fire is directly on the bottom of the firebox), no baffles, and a few inches of barrier around the door. I'm cooking on a square box Klose and his fire management method just isn't right for my pit.
Deputy J is offline   Reply With Quote