• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Contest Announcment Bear's Smokehouse New England BBQ Championships - Hartford, CT - 9/5-6

Bear'sBBQ

Reaction score
What: As proclaimed by Governor Malloy from the great State of Connecticut, the Bear's Smokehouse New England BBQ Championships is a Connecticut State Championship event. This is a traditional KCBS sanctioned contest requiring teams to cook 4 meats (chicken, pork ribs, pork butt, & brisket). The cooking source shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. 2015 KCBS Rules and Regulations apply.

Where: Riverside Park, Hartford, CT

When: Sunday, September 6, 2015

Why: $20,000 in Prize money! The Grand Champion of the Bear's Smokehouse New England BBQ Championships will win the opportunity to compete in the WORLD FOOD CHAMPIONSHIPS "ULTIMATE FOOD FIGHT" in Kissimmee, FL on November 3-10, 2015. Top teams can also qualify to compete in the American Royal and Jack Daniels World Championships. In addition, all teams can earn points towards the KCBS Team of the Year Award.

Visit www.riverfront.org/events/bears-smokehouse-new-england-bbq-championships

Welcome to the Brethren "Bear"

Everyone... we are in the presence of greatness

Jamie-McDonald-wingbowl.jpg

http://www.thuzio.com/jamie-mcdonald.html

i was going to sign up online today...the $150 fee for insurance...which is required for all the teams to have as well as all the other fees outlined below may be a deal breaker for me
$400 entry
$100 upgrade to 20 by 40 feet
$150 insurance
$50 for 1 15 amp circuit
$700 Total
plus Temporary Food Permit...
UGGGGH

i was going to sign up online today...the $150 fee for insurance...which is required for all the teams to have as well as all the other fees outlined below may be a deal breaker for me
$400 entry
$150 insurance
$50 for 1 15 amp circuit
$700 Total
UGGGGH

That's seems absurd. Unless the payout structure is similarly rich, I guess. Is that the norm for New England competitions?

$400 entry
$150 insurance
$50 for 1 15 amp circuit
$700 Total
UGGGGH
You forgot a couple:
$100 clean up deposit
No money at awards - Award checks will be mailed at a later unspecified date.

hey all, I am working with the city to get some of these fees changed, this is our first so appreciate the patience. Keep in mind that 100% of proceeds are going to charity, so not intentionally trying to gouge anyone.

Seems that's what they are trying to do and, have the teams supply "unlimited samples" I agree 250, electric included. Taino Smokehouse just pulled it off this past Fall, in Middletown, Conn.

$400 entry
$150 insurance
$50 for 1 15 amp circuit
$700 Total
UGGGGH

Well lets break it down. As they have said they are new to this and they have until june to file for KCBS with prize pool.

$400 entry is $100 to $150 over a normal New England contest but the prize pool is double most prize pools from my experience. Something to consider. Although it will be too pricey for many teams who like to compete. At 30 teams a $250 entry only offers you $7500 for the prize pool and thats how most organizers look at it. To make up $12500 you have to increase income somewhere.

$100 upgrade for 20' is actually average from what I remember. Although many times it would be waved. There was also an option for a 20x30 for like $50 which was more reasonable for the box trailer guys.

$150 insurance is atypical. Normally the contest organizer gets a blanket policy. They are common and easy to get and usually cover all the required insurance stipulation. I think this is an issue of not knowing the normal operating procedure. Would be great for another organizer to give over the info about the insurance policies.

$50 for electricity is atypical as well. Normally water and electricity are included as essentials in the original contest fee. I think the organizers should go to their local rent all companies for donations. As a charity they can offer tax write offs under the 503C for "in-kind" donations. The company will get retail value for items they can wholesale. For instance, and this is not an advertisement, a company like HO Penn who rents generators can donate the use of one of their idle generators at full rate. A contest requires the generator to run all weekend so its at least 40 hours. Thats a weeks rental to a company. Write offs like that are how you sell it. The 503C give a voucher for a weeks rental for a machine that would have just sat. When you think about the breakfast go to a local caterer. restaurant, or deli and offer them the same deal. Their labor is paid for and their food costs are wholesale. They get free press and make retail for their time and product. This frees up your war chest for other things. Go to you local fuel oil company to fill the generator you get donated. They give it to you for dock price and get a retail write off as well as advertisement in the local area. Remember to tell them all they will be advertised. Offer to hang one of their own banners and make your own with their name on it. Normally the printer will work for the same amount giving you the printing for his name on it. Maybe you pay for just the surface.

So It does sound like an awesome opportunity for a great contest. If the fees drop off maybe the initial contest fee will work. Would need to see the prize breakdown by category as well as grand and reserve grand.

Skip,

thanks for the pointers, working on eliminating the electric. The insurance fee only applies if you are doing the peoples choice but in order to offset that cost if you participate the registration fee is dropped to $300.

Also I believe the prize pool is posted now. I have personally committed 20K, so the pool is at the very least that. As we get more sponsors the pool will increase.

Seems that's what they are trying to do and, have the teams supply "unlimited samples" I agree 250, electric included. Taino Smokehouse just pulled it off this past Fall, in Middletown, Conn.
Yeah I read the people's choice requirements and have a couple of questions.

• Each participating team has to provide 400 samples? The provided meat won't be enough according to the website you have to be able to provide 400 4 oz samples - that's 100lbs.
  • People's choice is on Saturday and KCBS turn ins are on Sunday? So you expect the teams to cook a full load on Saturday then turn around and cook for Sunday?
  • 100 lbs = 12 butts. How many teams have that much capacity?
  • Is the $4,000 People's choice prize pool included in the 20k overall prize pool?

Yeah I read the people's choice requirements and have a couple of questions.

• Each participating team has to provide 400 samples? The provided meat won't be enough according to the website you have to be able to provide 400 4 oz samples - that's 100lbs.
  • People's choice is on Saturday and KCBS turn ins are on Sunday? So you expect the teams to cook a full load on Saturday then turn around and cook for Sunday?
  • 100 lbs = 12 butts. How many teams have that much capacity?
  • Is the $4,000 People's choice prize pool included in the 20k overall prize pool?

I emailed organizer with same question...here is response:

Hi Timothy,

Thank you for your interest in the Bear’s Smokehouse New England BBQ Competition. In addition to the $100 discount off the Registration Fee for People’s Choice participants, we are also contributing meat towards the People’s Choice competition. Our expectation is that competitors will supplement the balance of the food with whatever they think will impress the attendees to win $4,000 in prize money. The 1st night is a fundraiser for Riverfront Recapture so we appreciate the support and participation of all of our competitors.

Thank you,
Charlie

That is correct. The only requirement for peoples choice is that each team cooks what is provided. if a team wants to cook extra or other items it is up to them. we expect at least 2000 people coming through. But with $1500 for 1st I would think it worth it to

Back