• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wood for smoking

Troyb1990

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm wondering about a couple kinds of wood for use in my stick burner. First off is something we call Thorn apple, which is a crabapple tree that grows in abundance around in central Michigan in our woods and tree fencerows, and can be identified by it's 2 - 4 in long thorns. I've heard that crabapple is good, but I've also heard that some kinds are not.

The second is the Northern catalpa, as I have a large one in my yard that is going to need taken down in a couple years. I can't find anything about it as far as smoking.

Hi, I'm wondering about a couple kinds of wood for use in my stick burner. First off is something we call Thorn apple, which is a crabapple tree that grows in abundance around in central Michigan in our woods and tree fencerows, and can be identified by it's 2 - 4 in long thorns. I've heard that crabapple is good, but I've also heard that some kinds are not.

The second is the Northern catalpa, as I have a large one in my yard that is going to need taken down in a couple years. I can't find anything about it as far as smoking.

If the thorn apple grows wild, it likely is hawthorn. There are many species of hawthorn native to the eastern US. I've never personally smoked with any of them, but I would not hesitate to do so. They are close relatives of apple and crabapple, and the wood seems to be very similar.

Personally I would not cook with catalpa. I've never tried it before, but I know that it is a very fast-growing tree with soft, pithy wood. In my experience, most kinds of soft, pithy wood produce foul-smelling smoke and they do not make good coals. That said, I'm happy to be proven wrong if any of the brethren have used it successfully.

Well I'm going to have to do some more research on the Thorn apple/Hawthorn trees. I do know that there are varieties of crabapple that do produce thorns up to 3" long. But if you say Hawthorn is good also I'll get some drying.

On the catalpa, that was just a wild question, as I'd never heard of them before, and always wondered what those trees were. I'll stay away from them unless I learn something different.

I have used both hawthorn and crab-apple for smoking. It doesn't matter if it's just an ornamental that doesn't produce fruits, or a fruit bearing variety. They both work equally well for smoking meat.

As far as the catalpa, I have no experience, as they do not grow in my area.

Back