Can I use this wood

lola

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am new BBQ and have a question about wood burning. Now that Irene has gone by there are several pecan trees and live oak trees that are blown down and are free for the taking. Can I use either in my off set smoker? I use lump charcoal and have not used wood before but with all this "free" wood around I would love to take advantage of it. Your thoughts?

Absolutely not! Ship all Pecan and Live Oak to me in Kansas for proper disposal! :becky:

The wood needs to be dried and seasoned. Gonna he a few months before it's ready.

But indeed... put your hands on as much wood as you can, Lola.

On second read, maybe I should have edited that last post?

Oh yeah, cut that wood up, season it, and it will be great smoking wood.

CD

awesome wood, I am getting as much as I can, to cut it up and stack it to let it dry and season then you are good to go.

I am new BBQ and have a question about wood burning. Now that Irene has gone by there are several pecan trees and live oak trees that are blown down and are free for the taking. Can I use either in my off set smoker? I use lump charcoal and have not used wood before but with all this "free" wood around I would love to take advantage of it. Your thoughts?

I have a Pecan tree in my back yard. I cut pieces of broken limb 2" x 2" and let them dry on my front porch. (No one uses it anyway)
Fantastic on Chicken. I cut down 3 Pear trees at my mother-in-laws and converted them into smoke also. (Use what you got, as long as it's hardwood, and not too strong smelling)

Figure out how much you think you will want to have....then double that amount.
Cut & stack it. By next Spring it ought to be ready for you to use.
If you can get any "Fruit-wood" ....like Peach, Orange, Pear, or whatever, get that too.
Might as well have something positive come from the Hurricane.

It's personal preference as to what wood you like best for smoke (Oak, Pecan);
Pecan is like a "mild Hickory"; Oak can be strong....but whatever flavor profile
you like best is the way to go.

I'd hate to see you make all of NC toxic by burning Pecan. I'll come over and pick it up for you. That's just the type of guy I am... Always helping a bro out!!

Seriously, take the Pecan first. Then, if you have room, get the live oaks.

Back