MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
jhuyser
Full Fledged Farker

Default Chuckles

Would like to make first attempt at chuckies. What is smoking time and temp ect? Smoke for a while then move to pan with onion ect for what length of time?
jhuyser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

I treat them like Brisket - same rub - and smoke till probe tender usually 4 - 4.5 hrs at 300* (3.5 lbs each).....no pan no wrapping then rest them 1/2-1 hr.

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 03-19-2014 at 09:29 PM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I also treat them like a brisket and cook at 260-270, foiling when the bark is the color that I like and cook until probe tender, usually about 75 minutes per pound. then I rest them in a cooler for at least two hours.

There is also a great recipe that involves braising the beef after smoking it for a while...

http://wolfepit.blogspot.ca/2009/10/...tout-beef.html

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
Biloxidman
is Blowin Smoke!

I did my first one last weekend.
This is how it happened:

Got a 3.5 lb Chuck roast from Wally World and Thought I would try it.
Found a few recipes so I decided to do it at 330 or so until 160 internal then put in a pan with 1/2 cup of wine, onions, bell peppers and carrots. From all I read it would take about 2 hours to get to 160 IT.

Put it on at 11:00 am and by noon it was at 160 IT. Wow! Lunch isn't until 2:00, so I shut the vents on the Big Joe down, bottom completely, top at 1/8th inch. By the time I took the Chuckie off, panned it and got it back on the Joe was at 270 and the IT dropped to 152 IT. Back on with the grill at 295 and the meat at 152.

12:30 Pm now and the Joe is stable at 304 and the internal is at 158 IT. Should be on target for around 2:00 pm now. I plan on taking it off at 200 IT or so to be able to slice thick slabs.

210 and took it off to probe. Slides in easy, but not like butter, so I put it back on for a few more minutes. Might go to 215 or so.

Final result:

Biloxidman is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-19-2014, 09:10 PM   #5
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

I do mine like Smitty's but see no problem with that! ^^^^^^^

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
BevoBurn96
Full Fledged Farker

Default Chuckie Bourguignon

I agree - treat it like a brisket. This last weekend, I then took it an extra step for the first time and put it in a dutch oven with a bottle of Chianti, some spices, some chicken stock, along with a mess of brussels sprouts, garlic cloves, mushrooms, and baby carrots.

IMG_2466.jpg

This went into the oven at 350 until the vegetables were soft. I substituted red palm oil for the usual butter (as I can't have dairy protein). It turned out really well.

IMG_2465.jpg

Too bad there wasn't a throw-down on that this shot could have qualified for.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller :cool:
BevoBurn96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->