MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:29 AM   #1
bwram1
is one Smokin' Farker

Default What to charge for Q?

OK...I have smoked for work events where the company provided the meats, charcoal, sides (etc) and I simply [prepped/cooked. Now, my regional boss wants me to provide him with 8-10 pounds of Q in 1lb packages. What would y'all charge him if y'all were in my shoes? Most local joints run around 7-8 bucks per pound, but my Q ain't "most local joints"...
Old Country Smokehouse; Pit Barrel Cooker; WSM 22; Weber OTG 22; [COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Black]36"[/COLOR][COLOR=Black] Blackstone griddle; [/COLOR][B]BLUE[/B][/COLOR] Thermoworks Smoke; [COLOR=Blue][B]BLUE [/B][/COLOR]Thermapen; [B]BLACK[/B] Thermopop[COLOR=Red].[/COLOR]
bwram1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2014, 06:39 AM   #2
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Are you sure your "Q" is not BETTER?
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2014, 06:47 AM   #3
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

bwram1, we've not met yet. Hello. I noticed you're in Conover. I grew up there as a small child, way back in the 60's... I dont remember much, but I remember that I liked it there.

Me, I'd make a couple of extra butts on my next cook and hook him up. I figure you have just under $4/lb ($2 before cooking, ends up being around $4 after all the fat is rendered, etc.) in meat cost. That doesn't cover any fuel, spices, your efforts. It's up to you, but I wouldn't charge less than $5/lb, and that's basically giving it away...

The way a restaurant makes money is that they get the meats wholesale which usually runs around $1/lb vs. most consumers $2/lb purchase.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-19-2014, 07:03 AM   #4
bwram1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy_Shuford View Post
Are you sure your "Q" is not BETTER?
That is what I meant by saying my Q wasn't theirs...theirs generally is edible at best.
Old Country Smokehouse; Pit Barrel Cooker; WSM 22; Weber OTG 22; [COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Black]36"[/COLOR][COLOR=Black] Blackstone griddle; [/COLOR][B]BLUE[/B][/COLOR] Thermoworks Smoke; [COLOR=Blue][B]BLUE [/B][/COLOR]Thermapen; [B]BLACK[/B] Thermopop[COLOR=Red].[/COLOR]
bwram1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2014, 07:05 AM   #5
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Assuming you are talking about pulled pork, sauced... For that small a load, there is no efficiency to be had to keep the price down. Between your product, supplies, equipment, time and packaging I think $10/lb (an even $100) is more than fair.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #6
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

Is there a big promotion in your future?? Just saying.

Blessings,
Omar

Old 03-19-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
bignburlyman
is one Smokin' Farker

I have friends that I cook brisket (flats) for and sell to occasionally. I pay around $3.50 per pound by the case for the flats. I weigh each piece before cooking or trimming so I have a starting weight. I charge $5.00 a pound based on the raw untrimmed weight. If you use 50% shrink that makes the cooked price $10.00 per pound. It doesn't make me any money, but it does cover the cost of meat, seasonings, and pellets. I always cook at least 3 flats so I have some brisket for me so I am using the pellets anyway. And I am cooking for friends, not profit.
MCBJ & CTC #5112

Traeger Texas 075
Blackstone Tailgater

Family: Where Life Begins, and Love Never Ends.

bignburlyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #8
danno79
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
Assuming you are talking about pulled pork, sauced... For that small a load, there is no efficiency to be had to keep the price down. Between your product, supplies, equipment, time and packaging I think $10/lb (an even $100) is more than fair.
I agree with billy. You, your supplies, equipment, and time are not free. I am sure your boss already understands that. Good Q is worth $10/lb.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:18 AM   #9
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

Think i would do this one for free... You scratch his back now.. and he will scratch yours later!

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #10
16Adams

Go Vegan or Pescatarian until a new boss arrives. I was a boss for a long time. It's poor management to request personal favors from those you supervise. Maybe offer a group lesson in your backyard? That whole "teach a man to fish" thing comes to mind.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:24 AM   #11
Kernscookin
On the road to being a farker

I'd say Free at least the first time. A little Butt kissing never hurts.
Kernscookin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #12
peeps

Like any good dealer knows, the first taste is ALWAYS free...

Gouge once they are hooked.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #13
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Your cost times X 3 = selling price.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #14
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

I don't know your boss....but I do know the area

So that leaves me with three options to suggest depending on your relationship with your boss.

1st is to do it on your dime

2nd is to ask "to pay for the materials"...about $40

3rd is to charge 9-10 bucks a pound and be done with it....you could charge more but you know how it is around the area.

Most importantly is if you choose either of the first two options is to MAKE SURE he knows from that point on you will want $10-12/lb. And after tasting your bbq(knowing what I know about your local BBQ) he will gladly pay from that point on!
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #15
Riz58
On the road to being a farker

My suggestion: Take the price of items provided, including meat, spices, condiments, etc, and double it. You should break about even on a cost basis. (Fuel for the smoker, other items that are harder to itemize.)

Cost recovery is generally accepted as non-commercial for events such as this. Try to make a profit and the Health Department may be on your case.