MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-15-2021, 04:14 PM   #1
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thumbs up KCBS - Steak

The KCBS National Steak Championship is around the corner.

HERE is The link for a description and the rules.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-16-2021, 05:54 AM   #2
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

Hmm.... Strips not ribeyes. Don't tell KCBS that they're called New York strips in some parts. Might be out of necessity, but it is good to see KCBS diversifying.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by Porcine Perfection; 09-16-2021 at 06:01 AM..
Porcine Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2021, 06:45 AM   #3
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Lets see,
Master series
Backyard
Steak
Turkey
Pork Chop
Kosher

Pick 'em, cook 'em, win 'em.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2021, 09:55 AM   #4
thirdeye

Regarding the approved list of meat suppliers.... I order meats from Creekstone a couple of times a year and have been very satisfied, but it comes with a cost. Having Organizer supplied meat makes it easier for someone to jump into the competition and is why SCA contests are popular.

I wonder if someone like Sam's Club or Costco would become one of the approved suppliers?

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 09-16-2021, 10:55 AM   #5
rob g
Full Fledged Farker

I can't see steaks being restricted to only these suppliers as long as they meet the size criteria. Kcbs is world-wide and you need to obtain meat locally to compete.
Per the email:
Pitmasters, the KCBS National Steak Championships is proud to partner with Creekstone Farms® and Double R Ranch® as the official meat purveyors to provide Choice-Grade Kansas City Strip Steaks that meet the specifications of the KCBS National Steak Championships.
rob g is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-16-2021, 11:53 AM   #6
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob g View Post
I can't see steaks being restricted to only these suppliers as long as they meet the size criteria. Kcbs is world-wide and you need to obtain meat locally to compete.
Per the email:
Pitmasters, the KCBS National Steak Championships is proud to partner with Creekstone Farms® and Double R Ranch® as the official meat purveyors to provide Choice-Grade Kansas City Strip Steaks that meet the specifications of the KCBS National Steak Championships.
Agreed about the world wide exposure. It looks like KCBS does not want someone buying USDA Prime or CAB and using that. And for what it's worth "Choice" has several levels, so Creekstone might sell upper choice. And since the packaging must be intact, the meat inspector need only look at the label and the cook is good to go.

They will surely allow other suppliers to certify the meat in the package is Choice grade, and is a KC Strip, and meets the thickness and weight range. This way if you want to buy from Creekstone fine, but you could also buy from Sam's or Costco.

Old 09-16-2021, 12:42 PM   #7
rob g
Full Fledged Farker

I expect this meat rule is going to be getting some better definition going forward. You can't restrict people from sourcing their meat where they want or they won't enter. At the same time somebody can get their local butcher to write anything on the brown paper wrapper. If you want to take business away from the SCA group you can't make it difficult. Their system of having the organizer supply the meat puts all the teams on a relatively even playing field.
rob g is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2021, 03:28 PM   #8
bbqczar
Full Fledged Farker

No grill marks(scored down)2 meat suppliers, etc. the whole thing has to big a big joke, and they know it.

Old 09-17-2021, 04:20 PM   #9
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqczar View Post
No grill marks(scored down)2 meat suppliers, etc. the whole thing has to big a big joke, and they know it.
Usually a rule committee writes a rule without any justification. Or with clarification along the lines of "The color of a perfectly grilled steak should be....". So it did strike me as odd to see a person quoted in the clause about the no grill marks.