Cooking for ~80

Eujamfh

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Having a work gathering and planning to feed about 80 folks. Probably 20 are kids of various ages.

For meat I have:
- 45 lbs pork (assuming about 30 lbs finished pulled pork)
- 40 lbs chicken 1/4s (debones and chopped - prob 20 lbs finished)
- 20 Lbs burnt ends (finished weight)
- 10 lbs local hotdogs from processor
- 10 lbs venison sausage (cooked)
- 8 lbs grilled burgers (for folks that don't like smoke)
- 8 lbs grilled chicken breast (for folks that dont like smoke)
- 5 lbs summer sausage

Taking two days this week to BBQ and get all sides in order. This will be the largest group I have cooked for at one time...definitely excited about it and think I have plenty of food considering sides I will also cook- smoke beans, salads, chips and dip, and desserts.

Sorta test run for "do I want to do this in retirement for a side gig!"

Not that having extra is a bad thing, especially when more people show up than expected, but that seems like a good bit more than you need to feed 80 adults, let alone 20 of them being kids. I see over 100lbs of cooked food for 60 adults and 20 kids. Sounds like a feast though. :thumb:

Im a big fan of over cooking if you are my guest. :-D

We are fortunate to have good jobs - both wife and I, so giving back is always pleasing to us...and the folks I am cooking for range from zero smoking experience to folks with basic smokers. Its a pretty neat and personally satisfying thing to cook for folks that generally think they need to buy good BBQ.

Cost is acceptable...RD sale on butts which was under $1 a Lb, chicken 1/4s were .35$ a lb, brisket about $2.27 a lb...the grill meats are more expensive but are finished meats and overall less then $100 total for the dogs, chicken breast and burgers.

We also have a stock of zip locks that we send folks home with...which is always appreciated.

I may be off, but my PB's usually cook down by 50%, but it looks like you'll still have extra food.

Have fun, but hell with working in retirement.....:shock:

+1 on the 50% butt yield. I did a cook for 60+ a few weeks ago. I definitely think your on the right track with cooking extra and offering a non BBQ option. Enjoy the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cooked for 80 last night.

24 lbs of pork butt, yielded about 18 lbs
12 lbs of ground beef, 36 burgers
20 sausage links
24 hot dogs
3 lbs potato salad
4 lbs cole slaw
3 bags chips
80 cookies

Everyone got one lap through the line and most came back for seconds. Everything was gone at the end of the night, we took nothing home but condiments.

I will add that we served food and didn't set it out buffet style. People waste the hell out of food when they serve themselves and get too much.

Good luck and if it's hot where you are get a big ass fan to keep you cool.

I would do drumsticks instead of quarters. Everyone will probably get more than one meat so it is a good portion size. You also won’t have to waste time shredding the meat or separating a leg and thigh.

Having a work gathering and planning to feed about 80 folks. Probably 20 are kids of various ages.

For meat I have:
- 45 lbs pork (assuming about 30 lbs finished pulled pork)
- 40 lbs chicken 1/4s (debones and chopped - prob 20 lbs finished)
- 20 Lbs burnt ends (finished weight)
- 10 lbs local hotdogs from processor
- 10 lbs venison sausage (cooked)
- 8 lbs grilled burgers (for folks that don't like smoke)
- 8 lbs grilled chicken breast (for folks that dont like smoke)
- 5 lbs summer sausage

Taking two days this week to BBQ and get all sides in order. This will be the largest group I have cooked for at one time...definitely excited about it and think I have plenty of food considering sides I will also cook- smoke beans, salads, chips and dip, and desserts.

Sorta test run for "do I want to do this in retirement for a side gig!"

While it's easy to err on the side of caution, this is massive overkill for 80 people, unless you're feeding an NFL team. You're going to have TONS of leftover food.

I normally figure about 8 to 10 ounces of protein per person, accounting for the sides. Not everyone is going to hit it hard and Hoover it up, and there will be waste. Just me, but I would dial that back by at least 1/3.

Last edited:
While it's easy to err on the side of caution, this is massive overkill for 80 people, unless you're feeding an NFL team. You're going to have TONS of leftover food.

I normally figure about 8 to 10 ounces of protein per person, accounting for the sides. Not everyone is going to hit it hard and Hoover it up, and there will be waste. Just me, but I would dial that back by at least 1/3.

I'm definitely in this boat as well.

If you think people will take home at least what they ate and then some, then the quantity you are cooking is fine :becky:. Bring extra half pans to make the bulk load up at the end for people easy.

But if cost isn't an option then.....yolo?

You will have plenty of food for 80, in fact you should plan on leftover. I would buy some of the styrofoam clamshell boxes so people can take some to-go.

The biggest event I'm involved in each year is for 150 to 175 people. Years ago we figured out that a roaster full of sloppy Joes is much easier to deal with than grilling burgers. And they can be made the day before. And you don't need someone to man a grill.

Another good tip is to put all the meat toward the end of the line.

I spent the day cooking...which is always fun. Thirdeye - I completely agree with precooking...which is what I have done. All the meat is cooked except for hot dogs and sausage and chicken breast which I will do at the beginning of the event. The pulled pork, chopped chicken and burnt ends will simply be reheated - so I can focus on guests vice cooking. The grill will have to be maned but there will be plenty of guys to help.

The 40lbs of quarters actually ended up as 14 lbs of chopped chicken. I agree I will have leftovers - but I am ok with that. I haven't weighed the butts but it resulted in 5 half pans...which will be way more then overkill. I will weigh them tomorrow to find out the actual take from the butts.

I have two half pans of the brisket as well..so yes, there is a lot of protein.

Ill send a lot home with others, but worst case I vaccum seal the left overs for lots of mid week dinners and lunches!

Last edited:
You will have plenty of food for 80, in fact you should plan on leftover. I would buy some of the styrofoam clamshell boxes so people can take some to-go.

The biggest event I'm involved in each year is for 150 to 175 people. Years ago we figured out that a roaster full of sloppy Joes is much easier to deal with than grilling burgers. And they can be made the day before. And you don't need someone to man a grill.

Another good tip is to put all the meat toward the end of the line.

EXCELLENT! My Dad used to want me to cook burgers (plus sides) for a crowd of 80-100 at his trail rides at his farm.I understand because we had cattle and always had a freezer full of ground beef.Cooking a ton of burgers for a crowd when you are the only cook is one of the hardest cooks I have ever pulled off.Hard to manage that many beef patties and serve in a 10-15 minute window.Prepping the burgers was a chore too.But to be honest,I wish he could call and ask me to do it again tomorrow.Thanks for the " Sloppy Joe" idea!:thumb:

putting the meat at the end of the line is a great idea - given we will have more meat then sides...I will probably do the reverse!

Back