TX/LA Butcher Question: Pork Steaks

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
In Texas and Louisiana, pork steaks are common in the grocery stores. We always slow cooked them, mopping with a a onion and mustard based mop (Like Pig Stand or Jack Miller's). Since I moved to Virginia, I can't seem to find them in the local stores.

I want to ask a local butcher to cut some for me, but I am not 100% sure what to ask for. I believe that they are just 3/4" - 1" cross sections of Boston Butt. Can any of you confirm this for me? If so, which direction are they cut? Are they parallel or perpendicular to the money muscle?

Thanks in advance,

David

I went through this around here a couple of weeks ago. Around here they call them pork shoulder blade steaks. I also showed the meat cutter where on a butt I wanted them cut.

Welcome to the struggle. It always sucks when you move and can't get access to your usual stuff. There are no links up here around where I live or just regular "good" sausage. Links are a staple in my region back home. I'm so sick of eating Italian sausage, Kielbasa and the regular generic sausage brands.

ive always just asked them to cut a shoulder into steaks across the bone.

Welcome to the struggle. It always sucks when you move and can't get access to your usual stuff. There are no links up here around where I live or just regular "good" sausage. Links are a staple in my region back home. I'm so sick of eating Italian sausage, Kielbasa and the regular generic sausage brands.
I'm not familiar with what a "link" is, but you could try these shops.
Marv's Meats "Over 20 varieties of Fresh Homemade Sausages that we create"
http://marvsmeats.com/index.html
Village Butcher Shoppe "we make over 40 different sausages in house"
http://www.villagebutchershoppe.com
Colasanti's Market & Snook's Butcher Shoppe
http://www.colasantis.com/

I'm not familiar with what a "link" is, but you could try these shops.
Marv's Meats "Over 20 varieties of Fresh Homemade Sausages that we create"
http://marvsmeats.com/index.html
Village Butcher Shoppe "we make over 40 different sausages in house"
http://www.villagebutchershoppe.com
Colasanti's Market & Snook's Butcher Shoppe
http://www.colasantis.com/
I'll have to check those places out sometime.

But they're just Hot Link's basically. I guess it's more of a Southern thing.

A hot link also referred to as a "red link" is a type of sausage often associated with the cuisine of the Southern United States, featured commonly as a part of American barbecue, soul food, and Cajun and Louisiana Creole cuisines. It is sometimes referred to as a "Louisiana hot link".

In Texas, the hot link is typically prepared with beef,[6][14] and is usually cooked over indirect heat.[14] Common sides to accompany the Texas hot link includes sliced white bread, crackers, orange cheese, onion slices and pickles.[6][14] In Pittsburg, Texas, the hot link is a popular food and has been produced there since 1897.[6] In Pittsburg, hot links are typically broiled or baked to the point of having a "half-burned look".[6] In 1983, Pittsburg Hot Link Packers, Inc. in Pittsburg, Texas was producing 12,000 pounds of hot links per week.[6] Almost all of the hot links produced by Pittsburg Hot Link Packers were consumed within 100 miles of Pittsburg during this time.
From wikipedia

I'll have to check those places out sometime.

But they're just Hot Link's basically. I guess it's more of a Southern thing.

A hot link also referred to as a "red link" is a type of sausage often associated with the cuisine of the Southern United States, featured commonly as a part of American barbecue, soul food, and Cajun and Louisiana Creole cuisines. It is sometimes referred to as a "Louisiana hot link".

In Texas, the hot link is typically prepared with beef,[6][14] and is usually cooked over indirect heat.[14] Common sides to accompany the Texas hot link includes sliced white bread, crackers, orange cheese, onion slices and pickles.[6][14] In Pittsburg, Texas, the hot link is a popular food and has been produced there since 1897.[6] In Pittsburg, hot links are typically broiled or baked to the point of having a "half-burned look".[6] In 1983, Pittsburg Hot Link Packers, Inc. in Pittsburg, Texas was producing 12,000 pounds of hot links per week.[6] Almost all of the hot links produced by Pittsburg Hot Link Packers were consumed within 100 miles of Pittsburg during this time.
From wikipedia
See if any of these ring a bell.
Sausages we make at the Village Butcher Shoppe
http://www.villagebutchershoppe.com/page54.html

I went through this around here a couple of weeks ago. Around here they call them pork shoulder blade steaks. I also showed the meat cutter where on a butt I wanted them cut.

Which direction are they cut? Are they parallel or perpendicular to the money muscle?

David

Which direction are they cut? Are they parallel or perpendicular to the money muscle?

David

I don't know if I even get that technical. I literally buy a whole butt for 79-99 cents a lb or whatever and have them slice it from longest end.

3/4 is common for thickness in St Louis. I like 1/2 sometimes if it is just grilled and not braised afterwards. Thick is good too.

Pork butts just have so much love to give!:thumb:

Perpendicular. I had the local meat cutter cut two for me last night. I'll try to grab pictures.

I actually like them cut perpendicular to the money muscle also. It gives you that classic t-shaped blade bone in the steak.

Here are the pork steaks that I had cut for me. Center cut, 1.5” thick.

Attachments

• 74285829-7591-4396-B1B6-7595FFD1278B.jpg
    74285829-7591-4396-B1B6-7595FFD1278B.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 118
  • CDE8013E-C54E-4AB1-B894-F62536958DC3.jpg
    CDE8013E-C54E-4AB1-B894-F62536958DC3.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 8A44140E-D76B-436E-B097-838CEEBC3E18.jpg
    8A44140E-D76B-436E-B097-838CEEBC3E18.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 118
Would those be classified as "Pork Ribeye Steaks" ???

I like to take a whole pork loin and cut into steaks. I usually get about 20 chops/steaks out of the whole loin. They cook great on the griddle.

Yes! That is what I am looking for! :thumb:

What do you put on them? Have you ever tried Jack Miller's or Pig Stand? They are made with Mustard, Onions, Oil and spices. We use them as a mop on those.

Here are the pork steaks that I had cut for me. Center cut, 1.5” thick.

Meijer just started selling Kiolbassa. It's not the best, but it's better than nothing.

Those look killer, Ronelle! Pork Steaks are readily available here but not that thick. I'm sure my butcher will cut the 1.5 inches for me.

Sorry... Just catching up to this thread. Busy week at work.

Would those be classified as "Pork Ribeye Steaks" ???

I like to take a whole pork loin and cut into steaks. I usually get about 20 chops/steaks out of the whole loin. They cook great on the griddle.

No, a pork ribeye is as you suggested, cut from a loin. More commonly know as a pork rib chop around here. These pork steaks are slices from a butt.

Yes! That is what I am looking for! :thumb:

What do you put on them? Have you ever tried Jack Miller's or Pig Stand? They are made with Mustard, Onions, Oil and spices. We use them as a mop on those.

I haven't heard of either of those, but sound good! I used my normal competition rib seasonings for the rub and our normal pork sauce. They turned out great!

Back