MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 10-12-2021, 05:24 PM   #1
Little Rich
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Richard
Default Bottling my own sauce (located in Georgia)

I have been perfecting my recipe for a long time, and I've also been figuring out the process of safely getting it into bottles and onto store shelves. A lot of people are curious about the process and I am planning to post all of the steps I will have gone through when it's done. But before I can go further I'm up against an issue, and I have a question for the board . . .

I have contacted multiple copackers and shared kitchens, all of whom say (in effect), "we'd love to help you but we're slammed right now, and we don't anticipate that we'll be available until after the first of the year".

If I strike out with the copacking and shared kitchen options, is it viable to use another facility? I've heard that larger churches and similar community facilities have kitchens that can be used for bottling, but 1) I don't know this firsthand, and 2) I'm not 100% certain of the requirements to use one. If I'm not mistaken, I can submit a request to use a specific facility to the GA Dept. of Agriculture and they'll inspect it. I *think* this is required and that a county health department inspection is not sufficient. Do any of you know if this is a realistic option? I realize it's a lot more work but my project is in its infancy, so I'm hoping to bottle some sauce & get it in people's hands while I figure out how to bottle larger batches if and when the need arises.

Any help y'all can offer would be much appreciated!
Little Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 10-13-2021, 02:01 AM   #2
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Rich View Post
I have been perfecting my recipe for a long time, and I've also been figuring out the process of safely getting it into bottles and onto store shelves. A lot of people are curious about the process and I am planning to post all of the steps I will have gone through when it's done. But before I can go further I'm up against an issue, and I have a question for the board . . .

I have contacted multiple copackers and shared kitchens, all of whom say (in effect), "we'd love to help you but we're slammed right now, and we don't anticipate that we'll be available until after the first of the year".

If I strike out with the copacking and shared kitchen options, is it viable to use another facility? I've heard that larger churches and similar community facilities have kitchens that can be used for bottling, but 1) I don't know this firsthand, and 2) I'm not 100% certain of the requirements to use one. If I'm not mistaken, I can submit a request to use a specific facility to the GA Dept. of Agriculture and they'll inspect it. I *think* this is required and that a county health department inspection is not sufficient. Do any of you know if this is a realistic option? I realize it's a lot more work but my project is in its infancy, so I'm hoping to bottle some sauce & get it in people's hands while I figure out how to bottle larger batches if and when the need arises.

Any help y'all can offer would be much appreciated!

I have flagged your post to be moved to the section that you should get help in
just wait on one of our fine moderators to help you
And good luck
Old 10-13-2021, 08:07 AM   #3
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

Hey Richard, the only suggestion I would have for you is to contact your county extension office, because they have a ton of information available concerning anyone that wants to start some kind of agricultural business, and since yours may qualify, they may be able to steal you in the right direction. A lot of people like to grow vegetables and fruits and can them and sell at local farmers markets, and I'm sure that would probably fall under the same guidelines as what you're looking for.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-13-2021, 04:22 PM   #4
Little Rich
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Richard
Default Made some progress -- found a shared kitchen

A little progress report: Contact info is obsolete for many of the shared kitchens listed by the GA Dept. of Ag, or those kitchens are no longer in business. I ended up getting an answer the old fashioned way--by dialing phone numbers until someone answered, asking questions, and repeating the process. Eventually I found a number which was answered by a very helpful human being and he gave me the information I needed. The icing on the cake is that the facility is one of the closest ones to my home. Previous attempts to contact them were unsuccessful, but the 3rd or 4th try worked out.
Little Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:39 PM   #5
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

Great! I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress and success.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:31 PM   #6
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbrad62 View Post
Hey Richard, the only suggestion I would have for you is to contact your county extension office, because they have a ton of information available concerning anyone that wants to start some kind of agricultural business, and since yours may qualify, they may be able to steal you in the right direction. A lot of people like to grow vegetables and fruits and can them and sell at local farmers markets, and I'm sure that would probably fall under the same guidelines as what you're looking for.
They can actually be drastically different, depending on the city/county/state. When I looked into wanting to sell at the farmers market in MO, I was told I had to do the whole kitchen permit, inspection process (which I did) There are many people at the same market that make and sell things that they make at home (jams, cookies, breads, cakes, way too sweet macarons with a side of arrogance) and are not required to go through any of those steps. Something like a sauce would be required.

It sounds like OP is on the right path, so that's great ( = And good luck! My only advice is look at when permits are up for renewal. Locally the health permit expires on New Years, so getting one this time of year would be throwing money away, in my case.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-13-2021, 07:12 PM   #7
Hawks57
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Bill
Cool

Good luck. Will be following to see your progress!
Hawks57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 05:20 AM   #8
rafflod
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Lucas Harris

Unfortunately, I can't help you with any advice, but I'm waiting for a description of your steps on the way to your goal, it's so interesting.
Good luck!
rafflod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:25 PM   #9
IamMadMan

Some states allow what is referred to as a "Cottage Industry" where jams, jelly, pickles, breads and such can be sold at farmers markets.

But not all states have this provision.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:17 AM   #10
SirPorkaLot

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
Some states allow what is referred to as a "Cottage Industry" where jams, jelly, pickles, breads and such can be sold at farmers markets.

But not all states have this provision.

The cottage food act in some states is a great way to develop recipes and proof of concept, but is almost worthless as a business plan due to the restrictions that come with it.

Some of those restrictions include:
-no interstate commerce (can’t be sold outside state of mfg)
-no internet sales (see above)
-Annual gross sales cap (~25k-$35k in the states I’ve looked at)
-Only includes low risk foods (BBQ & hot sauces are considered a high risk food)

Be sure to check your local requirements & restrictions before going down this path.
Old 10-27-2021, 05:05 PM   #11
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

For an "on the store shelves" business, a copacker is certainly the easiest. If that works out, contact your local groceries. Many of them have a display somewhere in the store with local/state food products. That may be your best bet. Otherwise, it can take years of trying to get on a store shelf...two years is quick from what I've seen.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:08 AM   #12
RuBBQCo
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm in Georgia and I've got 2 sauces and 2 rubs bottled that I currently have in 5 fairly local stores. I use a small batch co-packer as I do it as more of a hobby than a business. I looked into bottling it myself but came to the determination that a co-packer was definitely the easiest route for what I was looking to accomplish. Just keep in mind that prices for bottling supplies/ingredients are at a premium right now and not as easy to come by as they used to be.

I wish you the best of luck! It has definitely been an enjoyable venture for me.

Tags
bottling sauce