Sourdough Babka

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I know, not BBQ, not baked outside. But it looked so purdy and continues with the sourdough starter experiment. If you folks get tired of these non-bbq sourdough threads, let me know and I'll cease posting them.

I fed the starter two days ago and it was looking so active I had to do something different with it. I've had this recipe printed out since Spring and it was time to give it a try.

The dough, when first mixed together. This was fairly forgiving and easy to work with as it contains 2 eggs and a stick of butter -

O0IqYy1.jpg

After a number of folds it's looking pretty good and ready for warm bulk fermentation, which I've learned the best place is the oven with the light turned on. This yields a proofing area around 80F and keeps me from having to find a warm spot in the house -

09piwJm.jpg

After a few hours of warm fermentation it goes into the fridge overnight. This morning it was looking like this -

21cDlYG.jpg

Rolled out into a rectangle and covered with a cinnamon/brown sugar mixture, ready for rolling -

TU5OnBv.jpg

vdKAPj2.jpg

Into the freezer for 15 minutes so it can be sliced down the middle and braided -

6TYEQTZ.jpg

Into the Lodge CI pan and placed in the oven again to proof for another few hours -

Ijfee5m.jpg

I might have attempted baking this outside but didn't feel like dealing with our first snow of the year -

MDta86d.jpg

An Egg wash and into the oven it goes until the internal temp is 200F. I'm glad the recipe recommended the parchment paper otherwise the pan would have been a bear to clean. When it's done, the outside is brushed with simple syrup -

JBGuUOM.jpg

Cooling -

gz531XG.jpg

ZwRT81F.jpg

BpNmpow.jpg

1T8FvxN.jpg

It wouldn't be right not to cut into it and show what the inside looks like.

Sliced -

eAFiTzr.jpg

0J9SwMf.jpg

So, how was it? Unbelievably good! Soft, buttery and the cinnamon mixture is perfect.

The recipe suggested placing the baking pan on a baking sheet lined with parchment to catch any runover. Good idea, 'cause there was a lot of runover. And thankfully, once it hardened, those pieces were just extra candy for the baker and the Mrs.

The recipe is from theperfectloaf.com for those interested.

Thanks as always, for reading through to the end of this post. And give this a try. This one's DEFINITELY a keeper!

Regards,
-lunchman

"let me know and I'll cease posting them"

Don't even think about it!

Though I think I gained about 5lb just looking at it.

I had never heard of Babka until I saw some loaves stacked on a table at Publix one day. While those caught my attention and weren't that bad, your creation looks better. Well done!

Outstanding! I am starting to believe that you and Cowgirl may be some relation.I always enjoy your posts.Please keep em coming.

Back