Football Watch party Bierocks/Runzas

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Since my Husker Game was finally on in the evening we had a watch party at our house. I wanted something we could eat while watching the game, so I decided on Runzas (AKA Bierocks) and corn on the cob. (Both of which are Nebraska staples) I followed Cowgirl’s recipe with a few changes this time.

This time I subbed out a 1 lb. chub of Jimmy Deans regular sausage for one 1 lb. of hamburger. I also tripled the amount of garlic. Both tweaks really added to the flavor and I’ll be doing so on all future batches.

Here’s a link to a thread of my first attempt making these where the original recipe can be found.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...light=bierocks

Started out making up the dough.

Prepped all the ingredients and took them all out to my gas side burner.

Sweated the onion and added the hamburger.

After the hamburger was mostly browned I added the salt, pepper and cabbage and cooked until it wilted.

The dough had risen nicely so

rolled it out into a log

and cut it into 8 roughly equal pieces and formed each piece into a ball.

I then rolled each piece into an approximate 7” round and placed 2 giant spoonful’s in the center.

I folded up the edges and pitched them together and placed each into my Dutch Oven that I had already smeared with butter. I repeated this process until it was full. I prepped my kamado for the Dutch Oven and preheated it to 325.

I then closed the lid and let this bake for approximately 35 minutes. And here is the result.

I carefully cut around each one and plated one up with a ear of corn and wash this down with a Pizza Port Brewing Swami’s I.P.A. (IPA not shown)

Yum!

Everyone thought they were delicious and the game results were good as well.

Thanks for looking.

Wow! I those look like a win, no matter who's playing ball!

Glad you folks had a great evening.

That cook turned out great! It's nice when your hard work produces such nice results. Happy to see that the meal and game were enjoyed by all.

That looks amazing! I like your method of cooking them all together in the dutch oven.

I grew up eating those all the time and they are probably one of my favorite foods. I have a recipe that I love where we use half ground beef and half italian sausage. I also like to add a slice of american cheese underneath the filling! Now I need to go whip up a batch, you've got me drooling

I went from "I have no idea what a Runza is" to "I need to make a batch of those ASAP" in a matter of seconds. Yum.

Back