• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

COVID Kung Pao Chicken Cook

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
There is a “Brethren Inspired” Throwdown going on now in the Throwdown Form. As both the wife and I are doing the Weight Watchers program, I looked for something that would align with what we’re to be eating. I found a Kung Pao Chicken Cook in the 2016 “Wok This Way” Throwdown that @SSV won. Chicken and Veggies plus some spice is just what the WW program ordered so that is what I went with.

Now here is the kicker: We’re on a self-insolation order here in California due to COVID 19. We’re still allowed to go to the store to replenish essential supplies but obviously this cook wasn’t essential. So, I went thru what I had on hand and I came up with what I believed would an acceptable list of ingredients.

Here’s a couple of pics of the Ingredients I ended up using.

I ended up using the following:

Marinate Ingredients:
28 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast cut in 1” cubes. (2 large breasts)
1 tbsp. Shaoxing wine. (I used Rice Wine Vinegar)
1 tbsp. light soy (I couldn’t believe I was out of soy sauce so I used Ponzu)
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cornstarch

Sauce Ingredients:
½ cup low sodium chick stock.
5 tbsp. light soy (I used Ponzu)
2 tbsp. Chinese black vinegar (I used Balsamic)
2 tbsp. Shaoxing wine. (I used Rice Wine Vinegar)
2 tsp. dark soy. (I used Fish Sauce)
2 tsp. Hoisin sauce (I used Oyster sauce)
2 tbsp. sugar. (I left this out due to WW)
1 tbsp. Samba Chili sauce
1 tsp. Fish sauce
1 tsp. cornstarch

Stir Fry Ingredients:
4 tbsp. cooking oil – divided
1 ½ tbsp. minced garlic
1 tbsp. minced ginger
½ red bell pepper diced into 1” pieces.
½ green bell pepper diced into 1” pieces.
8-10 dried chilies. (I used 1 serrano, 1 jalapeno and 1 yellow and heat level was just about perfect)
1 tbsp. Sichuan Peppercorns. (I added a pinch of red pepper flakes)
4 green onion stems (cut into 1” pieces)
½ cup roast/unsalted peanuts (I didn’t have any so these were omitted)
2 tsp. sesame oil

In addition to the above I added the following:
½ large carrot diced into 1” pieces.
½ medium yellow onion
½ medium red onion
1 stalk of diced celery
1-½ zucchinis diced into 1” pieces.

Here is the Wok out on my Gas Grill side burner. I heated it up and added in 1 tbsp of Chili Oil and 1 tbsp of Sesame Oil. I put in the marinated chicken breasts

and cooked it until everything started to brown.

I removed the chicken and set it aside while I started cooking the veggies. 2 tbsp of Sesame Oil and added the diced carrot first since they would take the longest to cook. After approximately 2 minutes I then added the chili peppers, then the onions, the bell peppers, the sauce,

and finally the zucchini.

Once they had cooked for approximately 3 minutes, I added the chicken back in and cooked for another 3 minutes. After that I added the green onion in for the last 30 seconds.

I had previously made up a double batch of half Jasmine Brown Rice and half Ancient Grains. I heated some of this up and placed it on a plate like SSV did. Here are a few pics of everything plates up.

This was delicious and the wife thought it was “awesome!”

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
More time then any, All the chinese take outs in my area are shut down. I am about to start making some salmon sushi, general tso shrimp, beef/chicken on a stick, and crab rangoon.

Jeeze! That is better than gourmet! fantastic looking plate!!

Thanks,
Greg

Nailed it Jeff. Looks and by the ingredients I know it was awesome!

As always, KILLER cook!!! Food looks absolutely amazing [emoji39][emoji39][emoji39]

Back