• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Klose Backyard Pit Rehab

Deputy J

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi Brethren!

I'm a longtime lurker and first time poster here and have a question about a rehab I'm doing on a 17 year old Klose 20x 36 offset smoker I inherited from my uncle. It wasn't babied and so it needs some love. It had plenty of rust all over and some serious pitting on the firebox lid. I saved everything down as well as I could with wire brush bits and a drill, then painted the outside with 1k degree Rust-Oleum. I've got to put new wheels on it and have a crack in the baffle welded shut.

Here's my question: the bottom of the smoker box is flaking out really badly (picture attached) and I want to do whatever I can to keep it from rusting out entirely. I'm planning to have a new 1/4 inch plate welded to the bottom, to give it extra thickness and hopefully extend the life of this baby. It's this a bad idea? Like, would I be seeing myself up for more trouble with trapped gas or oxidation or something?

Thanks for reading and I'll post pictures when it's all done.

Attachments

• 20190604_100056.jpg
    20190604_100056.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 552
I think David Klose would be a great guy to ask. I think he knows a little bit about that stuff.

I'd recommend against welding a plate over the existing plate because it will trap moisture and cause both pieces to fail. I'd just keep using it till the existing floor starts to show holes then cut out the entire floor and replace with new. You can probably buy some time by putting firebrick down.

How thin is the metal in the bottom of the fire box?
If it's just surface rust, I wouldn't be too concerned yet.
If it is noticeably getting thin, then I would think about a repair.
If you add the 1/4" plate to the existing, you are definitely creating a space for moisture and then more rust. As long as you are willing to do some fab work, and it sounds like you are, I would cut out the existing bottom plate and weld in the new material.
Looking forward to some pictures.

EDIT: Looks like Zac beat me to the post!

Thanks for your comments everyone!

I went ahead and called Klose and talked with Carol. According to her, I don't really have too much to worry about with putting a new plate on top and it should probably help prevent too much more rust out. She seems to think that the space between the two plates will be so small that it shouldn't provide much area for moisture to get into and rust out, assuming that I have a full weld done.

That answer seems a little easy. Assuming that it's clean and dry going in, and that it's sealed up with full welds, is there something else that could cause the rust/oxidation that would eat up my pit? I'm thinking of what Zak and BuffettFan said.

Thanks!

Last edited:
You could just get someone or Klose to fab and ash pan for the bottom. I dont think you need to weld anything to it.

I see no big deal with welding a new bottom in...

If it were mine I’d prolly drill a half inch hole in the existing bottom before I welded a new one in, but that’s just me...

Hey everyone, sorry for taking so long to follow up here but I figured I'd give y'all an update on this beast.

I replaced the firebox axle and 4" plastic wheels with 10" no-flat rubber wheels and cut off the casters under the cooking chamber, added angle iron to hold an axle, and put 8" no-flat wheels on. Then I had a buddy weld a crack in the baffle shut and put a 1/4 inch plate on the floor of the firebox (no offense to anyone who disagreed - the metal was looking really bad and I figured that if it fails I'll have to cut the bottom off and replace it later anyway, and putting the plate in was easier for now).

I've done chicken, ribs, pork butt, and brisket in it so far and love it. I'm having some temperature control issues but think that's really just me learning how it cooks as opposed to anything "wrong" with the smoker.

Here are a few pictures.

Attachments

• 20190616_130944.jpg
    20190616_130944.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 400
  • 20190616_130924.jpg
    20190616_130924.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 400
  • 20190615_191728.jpg
    20190615_191728.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 395
  • 20190615_191625.jpg
    20190615_191625.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 391
  • 20190616_140916.jpg
    20190616_140916.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 399
Great to see a Klose going to a home where it's getting the love and attention it deserves!

Klose sells ashpans in steel and stainless.
Yeah, I was looking at a new one but the one it came with is fine other than being ugly and needed a few spot-welds. I'm going to hang on to it until it gets rust holes.

Back