MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:20 PM   #9556
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Rub View Post
That is how I see it. That is why yesterday I just did not monitor the temps because I know the thing has a mind of it own so you just let it roll. But the problem yesterday was two racks of ribs in probably 2 hours and 45 minutes. They were good, but they were also over cooked and shared up a bit. It caught me by surprise. This is the problem I am having is it is cooking so up and down that I cannot dial it in. As I said below I think I may have found the problem with the lid being a bit warped.
The lid being warped could effect how it cooks but I would think it would cause the barrel to run hot most of the time because of the extra air flow.

Another thing to consider is whether or not there is any wind when you are cooking and if so, where is your lower vent pointed in relationship to the wind. Where I live it's windy about 90% of the time so I really have to pay attention to that and is why I use a windbreak on most of my cooks no matter which grill or smoker I'm using.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:29 PM   #9557
pharp
Banned

Default Tri-Tip

Did a tri-tip today. Ribs are almost done...

pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #9558
stickbit
Got Wood.

Rib Rub - i had the SAME exact frustrations for the longest time and I installed the lava gasket-problem solved...doesn't run hot and no smoke coming from lid. I have other issues with the PBC as I still struggle to dial in temps, but I'm going to try 32-35 coals to start with on my next cook and I think that will help. Definitely buy the lava gasket and install that on the lid. The lid will then sit perfectly on the PBC.
stickbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2019, 11:50 AM   #9559
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Interesting with the lava gasket. I have it on my GMG, but havent seen/heard anyone using on a PBC.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:15 PM   #9560
NKSmoke
Knows what a fatty is.

I hadn't heard of anyone using lava gasket on a PBC either but I think I will give it a try as well. I fight high temps in mine every time I use it and always thought the smoke coming around the lid was fairly normal. I am down to using 12 to 15 coals to start each time. About an hour or so in I am around 300 and climbing so I have to foil my all but one rebar hole and the intake is nearly as closed I can get it. After using it for about a year I have learned to keep a close eye on the temps. The first time I used it the temps were over 400 before I could get it closed down. I am not trying to discourage anyone from buying one though and am a huge fan of them. Once you learn how yours operates you will turn out some terrific food!

Old 04-15-2019, 04:15 PM   #9561
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

I live across from the beach so it is always breezy to start and then nice and windy later in to the afternoon. I keep the barrel away from directly being hit by the wind so it doesn't take off on me and to also keep the uneven burn from being so heavy.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #9562
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickbit View Post
Rib Rub - i had the SAME exact frustrations for the longest time and I installed the lava gasket-problem solved...doesn't run hot and no smoke coming from lid. I have other issues with the PBC as I still struggle to dial in temps, but I'm going to try 32-35 coals to start with on my next cook and I think that will help. Definitely buy the lava gasket and install that on the lid. The lid will then sit perfectly on the PBC.
I always thought the smoke under the lid was normal. Like I said somebody told me to try lava gasket and seat the lid with a rubber mallet. Going to try it.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:45 PM   #9563
hs106
Got Wood.

It's an additional investment, but you could try a partyQ [https://www.amazon.com/BBQ-Temperatu...6614693&psc=1]

Old 04-15-2019, 09:48 PM   #9564
stickbit
Got Wood.

i'm on another forum that's dedicated to PBC owners and talks about lighting methods, leaky lids, etc, etc. There should be NO smoke coming from under lid...only from rebar holes. My understanding is if its coming from the lid there's a leak...probably a warped lid. I had the same temp issues for almost 2 yrs. until i discovered my lid leaked. Installed the gasket around the rim of the lid and not only did it keep temps in check but honestly I tend to have to crack the lid to keep temps up. I tried pounding the lid with a rubber mallet before i installed the gasket and it didn't help (fyi). Hope that helps you guys. Again, having said all that I still struggle a bit with temps where i want but I admit I like to tinker with I'm a control freak so I really have a hard time just 'letting it do its thing' as I want to try to keep the cooker in a certain range.
stickbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2019, 11:06 AM   #9565
spedly
Full Fledged Farker

I've only had my PBC for about a month, so I'm not going to pretend that I know more about it then most of you posting about temps in this thread. But the PBC is the first smoker I've used that I can just trust. I have no idea what temp mine runs at. Everything I've cooked on it so far has been better than anything I've cooked before.

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-21-2019, 06:28 PM   #9566
PUNKem733
On the road to being a farker

Funny my lid, and rim of the barrel is gunked up with so much grease, that is smokes from under the lid, but it doesn't affect my temps. Sure I may pack it to capacity with meat, then I sometimes fight dying temps because of all the condensation, but almost every time I start it up, the temps start in the 350-370 range, but within 10 or so mins, it comes down to 270-300.
PUNKem733 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2019, 12:06 PM   #9567
SouthernSmokeRings
Knows what a fatty is.

Going to try something new this weekend and wanted some advice. I've had a lot of issues lately with KBB (seems that it's a common problem) so i'm planning to switch to Blues Hog Lump as my local butcher sells it. I've never used lump charcoal before so was hoping to get some advice/tips for using it with the PBC.

Also, my local butcher has their prime brisket on sale this week for $3.99# so i'm planning on picking one up and cooking it on Saturday. I've never done a brisket before (did a flat once with poor results) so any advice/tips for cooking the brisket on the PBC with the Blues Hog charcoal will be greatly appreciated. I do have some Oakridge BBQ Black Ops Brisket Rub that I was planning to use on the brisket.

Thanks for your help!
SouthernSmokeRings is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2019, 12:52 PM   #9568
UlaoBBQ
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Lava gasket?

Had the same issue as RibRib. Fought (wildly) inconsistent temps for the first year. Finally went with PartyQ. It holds it steady, but there’s no way I can get the cook times others are reporting. 3 hours and I’m adding more KBB.

I sure don’t think my lid is warped, but this lava gasket seems like it might be something to add - just because. Where should I look for it? Does It come in a roll like weatherstripping? Or is there a pre-made for diameter of PBC? Just pushing into groove in lid and letting weight hold it down? You don’t need to pound the lid (with gasket installed) down like a 5gal paint bucket?

Thanks!
ER

Old 04-24-2019, 01:25 PM   #9569
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

Count me as another one interested in the gasket thing. My seal hasn't been as tight since moving in September of 2017. I can get it to a point where it isn't too bad but I feel like it moves a bit from side-to-side. Smoke will be coming out of the lid on the left side so then I move the lid to the right a bit and now the left side is fine but the smoke is coming out of the right. I dick around with it for a bit to find a happy medium but it wasn't like that before the move.

Another question. I haven't cooked in maybe six weeks so I'm looking forward to doing so on Saturday. Was thinking about getting six racks of ribs but was wondering if anyone halves their racks? How were your results? The ends near the coals can be too overcooked at times so I was thinking about cutting them in half so they aren't so close. Can allow for different sauces for those I decide to sauce as well.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:39 PM   #9570
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlaoBBQ View Post
Had the same issue as RibRib. Fought (wildly) inconsistent temps for the first year. Finally went with PartyQ. It holds it steady, but there’s no way I can get the cook times others are reporting. 3 hours and I’m adding more KBB.

I sure don’t think my lid is warped, but this lava gasket seems like it might be something to add - just because. Where should I look for it? Does It come in a roll like weatherstripping? Or is there a pre-made for diameter of PBC? Just pushing into groove in lid and letting weight hold it down? You don’t need to pound the lid (with gasket installed) down like a 5gal paint bucket?

Thanks!
ER
If you are adding more KBB after 3 hours then something is seriously wrong. A full basket would last me 8-10. I would do partial basket cooks for ribs and stuff where I would get 3-4 hours on very little charcoal.

Check out these older posts in the thread. https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...rs#post3906815
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it