Putting a BBQ Guru on the right side of Assassin 36?

AstroBen

Name or Nickame
Ben
I just got an Assassin 36, based a lot on reading discussions and comments here, and seeing BBQ Freak's videos. I've only used it twice but I'm super happy already.

I'm curious what you grill masters think of mounting a BBQ Guru on the right side of the grill, i.e., drilling a hole through the solid right-side wall. It's a question of air flow in my mind, trying to mimic an offset.

I can't draw at all but I gave it a try in the attached image. My fire door is on the left and the stack is on the right edge of the grill. So if I put my v-pan with the slits on the right (TOP image), then smoke will just go up and directly out the stack. If I put the slits on the left by the fire door (MIDDLE image), wouldn't airflow from a fan mounted on the door blow across the coals, forcing smoke over to the right, where it would leak out the sides and go right up and out the stack? But if I drill a hole in the right-side wall and put a fan there, with the v-pan slits on the right (BOTTOM image), then the smoke would blow to the left, up and out the v-pan, and travel back right to the stack, like an offset. Of course, I'd have to plug up the air gaps in the fire door. Seems like a piece of heavy duty foil could do that trick pretty well.

Do you think that's totally over-kill (plus drilling a hole in a perfectly good piece of metal)? I guess one could argue that the chamber gets enough smoke exposure regardless, and the main purpose of the solid half of the v-pan is as a buffer to put between the fire and your meat?

Attachments

• IMG_4228.jpg
    IMG_4228.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 50
I would run the idea past the folks at Assassin and get their input. I’ve seen photos of them having supplied an additional pinwheel for the firebox door to mount a temp controller. Probably a reason they do it instead of putting the inlet on the right side as you’ve drawn it.

Agree with @Cdhbrad...get in touch with Assassin and see what they think. Every cooker is designed for a specific purpose, and you trying to change that purpose might give you more problems than you would initially expect.

If you're a tinkerer and know you could fix the holes you drill and get it all back to normal then give it a go and see what happens. My DIY / fabrication skills are very poor, so I'd never try something like this.

Back