MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-18-2021, 11:48 AM   #16
hedonsmbot
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Troy

Be careful if using a rule of thumb like "1.5 hours per-pound" as it really only applies to full packers.

The last 4.5 pound brisket I did took 10 hours @250.
hedonsmbot is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2021, 12:57 PM   #17
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedonsmbot View Post
Be careful if using a rule of thumb like "1.5 hours per-pound" as it really only applies to full packers.

The last 4.5 pound brisket I did took 10 hours @250.

This rule doesn't really work on whole packers either since every brisket is different and every cooker cooks differently. That is why so many say "it's done when it's done". Probe tender in the thickest part of the flat is a decent way to know that.

I don't think people have mentioned this yet so I'll add that the temperature window of "done" will vary depending on the cooking temperature. If cooking at a low temp like 225F, the "done" window tends to be significantly lower like a range of 190-200F. When cooking at higher temps like 300F, the "done" window may be as high as 205-215F, but once again every brisket is different. Don't panic if you are seeing internal temps over 200F and it is not probe tender yet.

I don't think rest has been touched on enough here either. If you can figure out a way to hold the brisket at 145ish F for a very long time after cooking, it will turn out better. I've known this for years, but the community is recently waking up to the benefits of an extended rest time for brisket. As long as 10 hours or more seems to be the most effective. Just make sure to let the brisket cool down (keep it from continuing to cook) by venting the foil or paper out on the countertop till the internal temp drops down before putting it in your warm holding device of choice.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-18-2021, 02:55 PM   #18
jwilliamson1000
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Briskets cannot tell time. They are done when they are done. The whole trick of briskets is knowing when to takethe off the smoker.
Tjat being said, 11 hours amd probing ar 203 at the point where the flat and point overlap will get you close.
Also, all at least an hour for resting.
I have had briskets done at 197-211. Each one is different

Good luck
jwilliamson1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2021, 05:42 PM   #19
Texan79423
Take a breath!

Put it on at 6 am cook may take 8 to 12 hours due to a stall. Hopefully it will be done in 8 and can rest for 3-4 hours. The rest is as important as the cook, IMO.

Best of luck

Old 06-18-2021, 11:51 PM   #20
CameOutSmokin
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Michael

One thing I may have missed, was this 12 lbs before trimming, or after. Might be a 9.5 lber after you trim. All the cooking advice, from the other posters will apply, though the time to reach optimal internal temps will be shorter.
CameOutSmokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisket, cook time