Last nights cook on the Limo Jr.

Chester

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Smoked a couple of pork tenderloins with some peach cranberry chutney, some finger potatoes and grilled green beans.

Lighting the limo.jpg
Lighting the Limo is easy. One weber fire cube will do it.

Lighting the limo 2.jpg
Once the cube is lit, with the Guru fan running, simply shut the door and let her come to temp.

tenderloin.jpg
Tenderloins ready for the smoker.

cut tenderloin.jpg
Sliced. Should have gotten a better pick of the Tenderloins. Came out perfect. I smoked them until 120 and then finished with a quick sear on the gasser.

plated.jpg
Plated and ready to eat.

Looking good. Hopefully my Limo jr will be arriving soon.

A couple handy things to have for the Limo or any gravity feed for that matter.

Get a metal dump container or bucket to dump the ashes in. I got a Behrens 1 bushel container from Tractor Supply that works really well. Is plenty deep so wind won’t blow the ash around if you dump it in. Fits well beneath the limo and can slide underneath between the legs for typical storage.

Have a set of channel locks handy. You can use it to pick up the ash pot mid cook to dump in the metal container for really long cooks. Also works for rapping on the charcoal grate to dump heated coals onto wood you put into the fire box, and for releasing ash on charcoal stored in the charcoal chute from a previous cook. You can do this when cleaning the ash after it cools down, or before firing up the next time.

Get an old paint brush to use to sweep out the firebox area. Some ash falls on the outside of the ash pan. Simple clean up with the paint brush and let it fall into the metal bucket that I mentioned above. It is really easy to keep the firebox clean. So the cleaning process for once the cooker has cooled is like this: rap the charcoal grate several times to release any ash that hasn’t fallen, dump the ash in the ash pan into the metal bucket, spend 30 seconds sweeping out the firebox with the paint brush for any ash that missed the ash pan, and then put your ash pan back into the cooker, and that is it. Takes 1-2 minutes at best. You also have plenty of room in the metal bucket I mentioned above to store ash for multiple cooks.

Nice job! Might have to try that lighting trick on my GF next time.:thumb:

Limo Jr. - That might be the best name of a smoker I've heard so far. Great looking plate of food!

Nice job! Might have to try that lighting trick on my GF next time.:thumb:

Thanks for the kind words.

The lighting tricks works well as long as the fan is on before shutting the door. You can also leave the door open until it really gets going. I don’t have the patience, so I close the firebox door with the Guru fan already running and it stokes the fire for me.

Everything looks fantastic. Nice tips given which will prolong the life of your cookers and keep them operating properly.

I'm picking mine up on the 28th. Would it not be quicker and easier to light about half a chimney of charcoal and dump that in, then fill the chute, or is it better to fill the chute then light it? Also curious about the paraffin cubes and if the impart any taste once you are basically burning a candle in your cooker? This is all new to me, as I've always used and offset

Last edited:
^ SmokeIsGood

You might have the ability to or always want to empty the charcoal chute from the last run. You can pack more charcoal on it & relight the next time around. In my experience emptying semi-full charcoal chute in the MB560 is a huge pain. Better to keep piling unless the old charcoal is ruined in some manner.

The Weber cubes have never given any unpleasant tastes to any of my cooks even when lighting coals in the pit itself. They're great

What a nice looking cook! Thanks for sharing. That smoker looks like an absolute unit!

I'm picking mine up on the 28th. Would it not be quicker and easier to light about half a chimney of charcoal and dump that in, then fill the chute, or is it better to fill the chute then light it? Also curious about the paraffin cubes and if the impart any taste once you are basically burning a candle in your cooker? This is all new to me, as I've always used and offset

I lit my first cook like that, with a chimney and dumped in then filled behind it, but have never emptied the charcoal chute since then. Come close a couple times, but never out completely. It lights really easy the way I discussed at the beginning of this thread. Just one Weber cube, get the guru fan going and close the door. I always have some prep to do, and it usually takes about the same amount of time or close to it anyway that I never seem to be waiting for the pit to come to temp. It has usually come to temp in 40-50 minutes. Sometimes a little shorter and longer, but usually in that range.

Never noticed any imparted taste from the Weber cube, they burn up within 5 minutes or so, and any residue left is usually on top of the can I use to raise it near the charcoal grate, and that comes when the pit is up to temp.

I lit my first cook like that, with a chimney and dumped in then filled behind it, but have never emptied the charcoal chute since then. Come close a couple times, but never out completely. It lights really easy the way I discussed at the beginning of this thread. Just one Weber cube, get the guru fan going and close the door. I always have some prep to do, and it usually takes about the same amount of time or close to it anyway that I never seem to be waiting for the pit to come to temp. It has usually come to temp in 40-50 minutes. Sometimes a little shorter and longer, but usually in that range.

Never noticed any imparted taste from the Weber cube, they burn up within 5 minutes or so, and any residue left is usually on top of the can I use to raise it near the charcoal grate, and that comes when the pit is up to temp.

Makes sense now that you guys mentioned the leftover charcoal. I'll have to pick up some cubes.

Back