MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:35 AM   #1
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie
Default White spots on left over brisket?

Hey All,

So I smoked some brisket on Thursday (last week) and ended up having about half a brisket left over. It was already sliced, and I left it sitting in its own au jus. It was about 145° internal temp when I loosely foiled over it and put it in my refrigerator.

I opened it up this morning to make into a chili and on the exterior parts of the sliced, and where it was sitting in the au jus, it's covered in very tiny white spots. It has no foul smell at all, and I'm not sure what it is. I'm tossing it, of course, but I'm curious if it's just salt deposits from sitting in the juices?

My refrigerator is small and powerful so it gets things down to temp pretty quickly...never had an issue with Time / Temp control using this method. Anyways, here's a pic (not the best) of what I'm seeing and just looking to get some feedback. Again, I'm tossing the brisket just to be safe, but curious to see what others think.

Last edited by SmoothBoarBBQ; 08-13-2019 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: Picture size too large
SmoothBoarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2019, 07:40 AM   #2
Pig_Farmer
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Carl

It's hard to tell from the picture size on my phone, but are you sure it's not just fat?
Weber Performer, Weber kettle red, Dual Weber Kettle table gold, UDS, East Texas Smoker RK250, Blackstone 36, Blackstone 17, GMG Trek, LSG Large IVC Candy Apple Red W/4WD and a 6.7L Power Stroke
Pig_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:52 AM   #3
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

@Pig_Farmer, it could be fat droplets, but I've never seen them settle in this way before. Again, no foul smell at all, so I'm almost certain it's not mold or anything like that.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:26 PM   #4
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Wipe that crap off and make a chili out of it. Sheesh, Louise.
You are gonna heat it up again and kill any bacteria.
You think people in the 1800's would throw that away? No chance, looks good.
And it's likely fat as mentioned. Bon Apetit! So what if its mold? Wipe it off? A little

penacyllin (sp) never hurt anyone.
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:22 PM   #5
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

And it's likely fat as mentioned. Bon Apetit! So what if its mold? Wipe it off? A little

penacyllin (sp) never hurt anyone.[/QUOTE]

Average life expectancy in 1850s was 40yo. So no they probably ate it and died. Penicillin only killed those that are
severely allergic to it, and not all molds create penicillin, many are toxic. But go ahead and continue to eat according to 1800s food safety standards, what do I care.

For most food spoilage, smell is the final indicator. Food should be cooled uncovered. Touch the white stuff, and see what the texture is like. If its fatty then eat it, if it's not, toas it.
ynotfehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 08-13-2019, 08:11 PM   #6
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

99% likelihood that's fat. Heat one of the slices up slightly and see if it starts liquifying - if it does, that's just a layer of congealed fat.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 08-14-2019, 12:08 AM   #7
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchar69 View Post
Wipe that crap off and make a chili out of it. Sheesh, Louise.
You are gonna heat it up again and kill any bacteria.

penacyllin (sp) never hurt anyone.
This is an odd response in the Food Handling portion of this forum. You do understand that while heating up food does generally kill the bacteria, it DOES NOT remove the fecal matter left behind when the bacteria was alive and thriving on the surface of your food. That's how people get sick.

Mind you I wasn't eating the food myself, but instead was serving it to the public. No way was I going to serve food when I thought was questionable.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:09 AM   #8
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjax View Post
99% likelihood that's fat. Heat one of the slices up slightly and see if it starts liquifying - if it does, that's just a layer of congealed fat.
I think you're right and that's exactly what I should have done, but I tossed it. I showed the pics to a chef buddy of mine and he was 50/50 on it being fat or mold. Not worth the risk just to make a little bit of money. Oh well, lesson learned. Thanks for the response Jason.