Couldn't Decide on the WSM or PBC so I got Both!

Bush438

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Brethren,

This is my first post on the Q and I don't mean to beat a dead horse with the PBC vs WSM topic. I've been grilling on a Weber Genesis for the past few years and have always been interested in smoking and grilling with charcoal. After browsing online and doing some research I realized the Weber Smokey Mountain was for me. That was until I kept coming across this miracle wonder called the Pit Barrel Cooker. With so many threads about which one is ideal or better there simply wasn't a definitive answer. At one point I was about to pull the trigger on the PBC but I knew I'd always question myself for not getting a proven product like the WSM. Then the exact opposite happened and when I was about to pull the trigger on the WSM I knew I'd be kicking myself for not getting a highly reviewed smoker/cooker like the PBC. I knew I could get the hanging grates and remove the water pan for the WSM and have it act as a PBC but some say the taste comparison between the two is not the same.

Well, I was fortunate enough to be able to pull the trigger on both. I got the 18.5 WSM for $250 with a Lowes coupon. I also got the PBC delivered to my door for $299 which included shipping and no tax. Yes, I'll be broke for a pretty long while but they are both great deals in my opinion. The Weber is a proven product with excellent customer service. The PBC, a family owned and operated company and all made right here in the USA.

I have received both smokers, unboxing and assembly was a breeze. The WSM, straight forward took me about 25 minutes. The PBC took me longer to unbox than it did to "assemble". Talk about a product that is ready to go out of the box! The porcelain enamel coating on both is beautiful and quite frankly I can't tell the difference in quality. The two rubs included with the PBC are a very nice touch.

I haven't cooked on either one yet but wanted them ready to go for my first outing. I welcome any suggestions and tips from those of you in this great forum. I do already have a few good takeaways from some threads on here.

I have placed an 18" pizza pan at the bottom of the PBC to act as an ash catcher. I'm also looking to get some flexible fridge magnets to put in the air vents after cooks to kill the fire and preserve some charcoal. I haven't done any mods on it as most say not to mess with this thing.

For the WSM I got an extra bottom charcoal grate to cross it 90 degrees with the original to prevent ash from falling below. Does anyone place HD foil below the charcoal grates to preserve the bottom? I intend to line the water pan with HD foil as well. I like Harry Soo's (Slap Yo Daddy) process for seasoning a new WSM but if I read correctly he says he never uses water at all on the water pan? He foils it and leaves it empty or puts sand in it? Anyone familiar with this or use their WSM this way?

I also read about the importance of a good probe and thermometer. I was split between the Maverick ET-733 and the ThermoWorks DOT 1200. The major difference seemed to be that the Maverick had a transmitter but the ThermoWorks didn't. Because I don't see myself leaving my smokers for an extended period of time during cooks I decided on the ThermoWorks. It gets pretty high reviews, especially for the quality of the probes. I got a meat and air temp probe with it.

For charcoal I'm going to start out by using the Kingsford original briquettes. The PBC recommends them and WSM owners seem to like them as well. Once I'm comfortable enough with the cookers I might venture into some lump charcoal.

Finally I got a Weber Chimney Starter, but the smaller compact one instead of the standard size. It appears that on the PBC videos the compact chimney starter works better to pour the briquettes in the chamber. I think this should also work well for the size of the 18.5 WSM for the minion method.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I will try to post pictures of my first cooking experience with these. Again, any suggestions and tips are greatly appreciated. Shout out to Ron_L, 7over, 16 Adams, PatioDaddio, flyingbassman5, ssv3, BobBrisket and others who had lots of good information on the PBC and WSM in numerous threads.
:thumb:

congrats...you can never have too many smokers...

On the WSM no need to foil below the charcoal grates. The WSM will last forever!

As for the water bowl. Most foil it up and fill it with sand, some drop clay saucers in it create a heat sink/difffuser.

Ah yes, another needle and the damage done. Awesome decision.

I'm very good at spending other people's money :thumb:

Congrats!

Ditto!!!

Glad we could help and congrats!! You'll love each one for its own characteristics. They are essentially the same, but very very different. Kinda like kids! :shocked::thumb:

Now see! There's always some wise guy who comes in and messes things up for me. :tsk: I was having the exact same dilemma trying to decide between a WSM or PBC. I just happened to catch a barely used PBC on Craigslist for a great price so I bought it. I haven't even had my first cook on it yet but I was pretty much done thinking about the WSM and you come in here talkin about how you bought BOTH....Well damn! Now I'm wanting a WSM again....Thanks! :becky:

All joking aside I'm interested in hearing your comparison of the two. I know they are both great cookers but I don't think I know of many people who have both.
Sounds like you have all the essentials and good stuff to get started right. I have ran my PBC dry just to see how it ran and will be getting the smaller chimney lighter. I have the big weber and it was pretty awkward.

Also, welcome to the forum, you found a great place to learn how to put out some amazing food and make some great new friends. I've only been here a year and never smoked anything prior to joining. Now my kids tell me they'd rather eat my cooking than go out to a restaurant. I call that success!

Can't wait to see those cookers working. :thumb:

I like your style B :thumb:

Foiling the water pan works for me. Never tried the two charcoal grates. I think you're probably fine with one when using briquettes, but could see it being useful for lump. Looking forward to checking out your Q, gonna be some good eats

Good luck. Sure you will make great Q on both and you have enough capacity to feed a small army. Would not use lump in the PBC until you have had a few cooks with KBB.

I like the way you roll. That's they way to do it. Looking forward to your cooks.

Welcome and Congrats!!

Congrats,I just have experience with the WSM,I foil and sand,I found it easier to control temps this way,also I found closing one damper and messing with the other 2 was easier than trying to regulate all three,now go put on DA MEAT!!!

I would have totally done the same, nice! The WSM's are amazing cookers and I will be using mine for many years to come.

Back