PBX Review

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
PBX Review

A couple of months ago I had posted some details about the PBX hoping that it would answer some anticipated questions. Reaching out to Amber Glanville, I let her know what details I needed and she kindly sent me a product fact sheet.

Since I now have a PBX, I thought that I would repost that information and include a review.

Large Pit Barrel Cooker:

What is it called: PBX
When will it be available: It’s available now.
What’s the height: 36” all inclusive
What’s the price: $499.00
How much charcoal does the basket hold: 14 lbs
What’s the burn time on those 14 lbs: 6 – 7 hours
What’s the hanging distance: 23”
What’s the cooking capacity: This is the answer I received, but I’m skeptical. I’m thinking that it could probably fit more, especially on the butts. Their answer - “12-16 chicken halves, 4 butts, 4 briskets, 16 burgers, 60+party size wings”
What’s the grate size: 22” (yes, you can use a Weber grate as a replacement)
Are there plans for accessories: Yes

So, what was my experience?

Let’s start at the beginning. The packaging was fine. No issues at all. The unit arrived unblemished, everything that was supposed to be included was in there. No dents, no scratches. I’m not an engineer, so I can’t speak to the construction. All I can say is that it feels to be of the same quality as the standard PBC that we all know and love.

I wanted to cook a good amount, but not try to absolutely cram it full. I also wanted to cook more than one type of protein. I went with the old standby of chicken and ribs. Three racks and five large chickens.

A few quick words about the PBX: It's a 55 gallon drum vs the 30 for the standard PBC. Assembly was insanely easy. I just had to affix the horseshoe handle to the lid. I did that while the charcoals were getting toasty in the chimney.
There are three rods for hanging, as opposed to the standard two, and it comes with 16 hooks. This rig has serious cooking capacity. There are areas for two cooking grates, similar to the WSM 22" (speaking of which, that's the diameter).
It takes about 3/4 of a standard-size bag of Kingsford. That's what I used for fuel, with some wood from wine barrel staves for flavor. The unit also comes with two bags of rub.

The PBX ran a little hotter than I expected, but I anticipate that settling down after a few uses. The timing was on par for the standard PBC, maybe a tad faster. The results are what you would expect if you are an experienced PBC user, with the exception of end of the ribs. Due to the increased distance between rod and coals, there is less of a chance for burning the final rib or two on the rack.

Spacing was a breeze. I could have easily included significantly more chicken or ribs.

How was the food? I can’t vouch for the chicken. It was given to a local charity to give to their constituents. The word was that they were thoroughly enjoyed. The ribs were delicious.

In the photo below of the charcoal in the basket, you can see the space for the second, lower grate.

What’s next? I have a brisket in the freezer. It’s an 18.5 pounder and I’m going to see how that turns out. I’m going to use a hinged grate and do some simultaneous grilling. I’ll post a follow-up.

Initial Assessment: I’m extremely happy with the PBX and heartily recommend the unit.

100-0191.jpg

100-0193.jpg

100-0197.jpg

100-0202.jpg

100-0198.jpg

Stop it… you’re tempting me! I had one of the 1st gen PBCs back in the day. Loved it! How hard is it for one person to move the PBX around? Too heavy?

Thanks for posting. I have been looking at the PBX. Would love to see real world burn time. Would like to see more than 6 to 7 hours.

Fantastic review. I can get 12-13 hours on a basket with the PBC, I KNOW I can push it to 20 hours with 14 pounds, the way I pack it.

I just watched a video and the guy in the video said that the top rack was designed to be used for "grilling without a lid." So there's that.

Great review. Looks like a real winner!

I could be wrong, but the one in the instagram picture only has two sets of holes for rebar, which leads me to believe that it is a standard PBC.
I think your right.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

yep - my video review is coming soon

awesome write up! i found it - well - i ran it next to two pbc and a junior all set to the same min set - to run a bit hotter. temp under pit never got over 102.

hooked up to guru with no fan tho

PBX Review

A couple of months ago I had posted some details about the PBX hoping that it would answer some anticipated questions. Reaching out to Amber Glanville, I let her know what details I needed and she kindly sent me a product fact sheet.

Since I now have a PBX, I thought that I would repost that information and include a review.

Large Pit Barrel Cooker:

What is it called: PBX
When will it be available: It’s available now.
What’s the height: 36” all inclusive
What’s the price: $499.00
How much charcoal does the basket hold: 14 lbs
What’s the burn time on those 14 lbs: 6 – 7 hours
What’s the hanging distance: 23”
What’s the cooking capacity: This is the answer I received, but I’m skeptical. I’m thinking that it could probably fit more, especially on the butts. Their answer - “12-16 chicken halves, 4 butts, 4 briskets, 16 burgers, 60+party size wings”
What’s the grate size: 22” (yes, you can use a Weber grate as a replacement)
Are there plans for accessories: Yes

So, what was my experience?

Let’s start at the beginning. The packaging was fine. No issues at all. The unit arrived unblemished, everything that was supposed to be included was in there. No dents, no scratches. I’m not an engineer, so I can’t speak to the construction. All I can say is that it feels to be of the same quality as the standard PBC that we all know and love.

I wanted to cook a good amount, but not try to absolutely cram it full. I also wanted to cook more than one type of protein. I went with the old standby of chicken and ribs. Three racks and five large chickens.

A few quick words about the PBX: It's a 55 gallon drum vs the 30 for the standard PBC. Assembly was insanely easy. I just had to affix the horseshoe handle to the lid. I did that while the charcoals were getting toasty in the chimney.
There are three rods for hanging, as opposed to the standard two, and it comes with 16 hooks. This rig has serious cooking capacity. There are areas for two cooking grates, similar to the WSM 22" (speaking of which, that's the diameter).
It takes about 3/4 of a standard-size bag of Kingsford. That's what I used for fuel, with some wood from wine barrel staves for flavor. The unit also comes with two bags of rub.

The PBX ran a little hotter than I expected, but I anticipate that settling down after a few uses. The timing was on par for the standard PBC, maybe a tad faster. The results are what you would expect if you are an experienced PBC user, with the exception of end of the ribs. Due to the increased distance between rod and coals, there is less of a chance for burning the final rib or two on the rack.

Spacing was a breeze. I could have easily included significantly more chicken or ribs.

How was the food? I can’t vouch for the chicken. It was given to a local charity to give to their constituents. The word was that they were thoroughly enjoyed. The ribs were delicious.

In the photo below of the charcoal in the basket, you can see the space for the second, lower grate.

What’s next? I have a brisket in the freezer. It’s an 18.5 pounder and I’m going to see how that turns out. I’m going to use a hinged grate and do some simultaneous grilling. I’ll post a follow-up.

Initial Assessment: I’m extremely happy with the PBX and heartily recommend the unit.

100-0191.jpg

100-0193.jpg

100-0197.jpg

100-0202.jpg

100-0198.jpg

Any follow-up with this cooker? How have burn times been? Are you able to smoke on the grate or do you have to hang everything?

I have to imagine smoking on the grate of the PBX would be like any UDS. I often smoke pork shoulders on the grate of my PBJ and that thing is tiny (14”).

Back