Dessert Category

Puppyboy

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
What are the rules for this category? How much prep is allowed before hand? I got a recipe for smoked pecan pie and was thinking of giving it a shot this year.

I judged several contests last year but do not know the cook side of it.

Pup,

It depends on the contest. Burlington, KS required that everything had to be done on site. Most contests just say that it can't be store bought.

If the work needed to prep on site is not too much... Go for it !! Have your ingredients pre-prepped, pre-portioned etc so all you have to do is combine and heat. Anything more may detract from your other categories unless it's the day before the meats.

With that said, I've seen quite a bit of storebought or pre-cooked at home stuff getting turned in by others. It really sucks. I think I'm done with desserts.. not worth the cash.

We turn in desserts mainly as a "thank you" for the judges and the volunteers. Small jesture but I do appreciate the time and effort they put in.

Thanks guys. The Smoke in the Spring contest here in town is adding dessert and cooks choice to the basic four KCBS categories at no additional cost so I figured we would give em a shot. Otherwise I don't mess with it.

My thoughts on additional categories are why do them? If they are turned in on Saturday (before or aftrer doesn't matter) then they take time and concentration away from the 4 meats. I'm putting all my focus on the 4. It's not "free" if you screw up the ribs because you're working on a cheesecake or cobbler.

Now if turn-in is Friday and it's cooks choice then maybe I do something that I also have for dinner. No loss there. But Dessert - well let's just say that those with big motorhomes and freezers have a big advantage with ice cream. Quau used to do some great ice creams (homemade) that took a lot of blue ribbons. Ice cream, chocolate and fresh berries is hard to beat on a hot day.

oh my gosh that deal you make, you know the thing you did in sugarcreek that is the real deal. Just don't be late!!

Scotty D

Pup,

It depends on the contest. Burlington, KS required that everything had to be done on site. Most contests just say that it can't be store bought.

Back