Anything Goes Category

D

ddog27

What do people normally cook in an anything goes category? Desserts or some special dish??

The very first open or anything goes category we entered we grilled some large shrimp wrapped in bacon - they were GREAT - landed in the teens somewhere. Every single entery in the top 10 was pudding, ice cream and other desserts.

Real answer - it depends on the contest but judges generally judge desserts higher than other entries. Just about the only 180s you see anymore are desserts.

MoKanMeathead said:
Real answer - it depends on the contest but judges generally judge desserts higher than other entries. Just about the only 180s you see anymore are desserts.

Shouldn't those be in a seperate dessert category?

ddog27 said:
What do people normally cook in an anything goes category? Desserts or some special dish??

so ddog, you going to hoof and foot? I was going to have the same question.

Here is my very uninformed opinion: Since this particiular event I am referring to is a limited BBQ competition (chicken/ribs/anything goes), I would NOT think a dessert is the best bet for 'Anything Goes'.

As far as the anything goes category I like roadkill. You just never know what providence will deliver. I know it sounds wierd; "You mean you eat dead animals you find along the road?"

No, I'm selective. It has to be fresh with minimal internal organ damage and enough mass to be worthwhile. After all, I'm not going to fire up my smoker for a few ounces of flattened toad. I'm talkin larger animals that are fresh.

The best indication of freshness is what I call the eyeball rebound factor. Basically, you just poke the eyeball with your finger hard enough to push it in some, then see how it reacts. If it stays indented, the roadkill is too old. If the eyeball comes back to its original shape; it's fresh.

Mark said:
The best indication of freshness is what I call the eyeball rebound factor. Basically, you just poke the eyeball with your finger hard enough to push it in some, then see how it reacts. If it stays indented, the roadkill is too old. If the eyeball comes back to its original shape; it's fresh.

Right On

thillin said:
I thought there was an actual dessert category at some comps. Then again, I don't compete.

Some comps do have a dessert catagory. Some use the anything goes as a dessert catagory.

I have seen everything from sausage, shrimp, salmon, cabbage, morell mushrooms, and stew in the anything goes catagory.

Mark said:
As far as the anything goes category I like roadkill. You just never know what providence will deliver. I know it sounds wierd; "You mean you eat dead animals you find along the road?"

No, I'm selective. It has to be fresh with minimal internal organ damage and enough mass to be worthwhile. After all, I'm not going to fire up my smoker for a few ounces of flattened toad. I'm talkin larger animals that are fresh.

OK, Mark... You owe me a whole farkin' laptop! I just spewed jalapeno peanut shrapnel all over this one :-D

ROFLMAO!!!!
yelrotflmao.gif

Mark said:

LMAO That is dandy, glad to see you only choose such grade A road kill!!!

Mark said:

COOL!!!

That's definitly a tip to keep close for those just in case scenerios.

JTMcD.

Just one more note

I also find it useful to categorize roadkill as follows:

Group 1. Things that taste like chicken
Group 2: Everything else.

After all, I'm not going to fire up my smoker for a few ounces of flattened toad.

I usually fire up my cauldren for fattened toads.

Back