More DARK Ribs??

DanB

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Hey All Well my ribs came out dark once again. This time I used 4 different rubs, they all came out he same/dark? I used the WSM 22 with cherry wood, temps were 225-250 for about 4.5 hrs, used a alum. pan filled with water.
They look much better in the pic :cry:
Any thoughts or idea's what to try next?
Thanks DanB

PS My last thread on dark ribs.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265525

Last edited:
I read through the last thread...several good suggestions to wrap after you get the color the way you want.

Cherry will add a lot of color. Try mixing it with somthing else. Did you wrap?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

What else are you using for fuel You only need a couple chunks of wood

Are you letting the fire settle in so you don't have a lot of white smoke

you've been given some good advice in several threads.

I suggest removing variables and testing to see.

try no wood or less or a different species. try no rub, just salt. try wrapping, maybe a mop or spritz, or dont if you do. add or remove a slather. only change one thing from your normal routine until you can pinpoint the. issue.

Was the taste bad? Cherry will add color, but so will using some rubs.
This is from your previous post
"When I do ribs in my Shirley I get pretty much the same dark color."
That would seem to indicate that the problem is not the cooker. That leaves the wood and the rub. I'd do a cook using just SPOG and no wood to see what the result is. Then using just the rub or the wood, you already know what happens with the two together.

Cherry is a wonderful wood to smoke with, but it will paint a dark patina on anything you put in the smoker. If you want a mild smoke with out all of the dark bark, go with apple, or pecan. If you can find it out there, common old Mulberry will give you the sweet nuances of cherry without the extreme color.

I'm betting that at least two of those rubs, if not all, are almost all sugar, and probably brown sugar.

Nothing wrong with that, except you're trying to figure this out. If you're afraid to ditch the rubs for a test run, you might need to just start liking ribs with the color you're getting.

I think those bones look great though! Good luck.

I had the same problem and it was the Cherry, I was using too much. Had a great improvement after dialing back the Cherry and mixed in applewood and pecan.

Cherry will make it darker but that looks like the result of a heavy coating of sugar based rubs to me. You can see on the bottom where you missed some spots or moved them with tongs and disturned the rub, its not dark.

I dont think its solely a problem with sugar, unless hes running hot for long periods of the cook. I could season a rack with solely brown sugar and still come out ok. when I did a comp last spring some guys were putting a topcoat of sugar on the ribs. of course as I've stated previously they let the season sweet into the meat completely.

Try a 1/4 of the split Also don't put the wood right next to the fire Leave some space so it gets really warm so it will burn cleaner

Hi I didn't wrap.
I used one split cherry wood. Thanks DanB
Split sizes vary, but that sound like a lot for a WSM. In my kettles, I use 2-3 chunks about the size of a piece of charcoal. Also, looking at your pics, the dark seems to follow the pattern of your rub application, being darker where the rub is heaviest. I never put it on so heavy that I can't see the meat.

Wrap the ribs...wrap the ribs...wrap the ribs...wrap the ribs...wrap the ribs.

When you get the color you like, WRAP THE RIBS!

If you like the taste then just turn off the lights and eat.

problem solved.

or you could just ... dunno- wrap the ribs?

Why an aluminum pan of water? What is wrong with the water pan that that comes with it? And a whole split of cherry? Holy cow, a couple of chunks would be a gracios plenty! I could not imagine having enough airflow for a whole split.

Wrap the ribs...wrap the ribs...wrap the ribs...wrap the ribs...wrap the ribs.

When you get the color you like, WRAP THE RIBS!

Hi I'm not too crazy about wrapping ribs. Might try one rack nextime.
Thanks DanB

Back