MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-05-2021, 05:30 AM   #16
Stablergetz
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Jim

I've had my 48 for a couple of years and had zero issues. I use it year round, I'm very happy with my choice.

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-08-2021, 11:38 AM   #17
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

In the off and slim chance any one gives a turd, I pulled the trigger on the 48. Went with split stainless rod on main grate and vpan. 6 weeks, clock is running.
bschoen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2021, 11:55 AM   #18
Alphonse
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Alan

Well "Chit Yeah"!

Please start a separate thread when you get it with unboxing, seasoning, first cook, etc.

A six week wait isn't too bad in today's pit market. That will get you into hints of early Spring for more pleasurable outdoor experiences in the State of Denial, wherever that is!
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2021, 12:10 PM   #19
Inthewoods
Babbling Farker

Looking forward fer the review and upcoming cooks. Congratulations, Bruce!

-D
Inthewoods is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2021, 12:14 PM   #20
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Nice. Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2021, 01:33 PM   #21
Chester
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chester

Cool beans.
UDS home made and ugly
Weber Genesis II SE 330
Breeo X 24
Chester is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2021, 06:08 PM   #22
bschoen
Babbling Farker

My bad, overdue for an update. I ordered the cooker, Jeff said 6 weeks, he called me in 4 weeks and said I can come down and pick it up (I'm only an hour away). Under promise and over deliver, customer satisfaction 101. Arrived on scene the next morning and Jeff's guys fork lifted into my pickemup and strapped it in, easy-peasy.

Not so easy-peasy was getting it out of the truck by my lonesome, seems I never have a fork lift when I could really use one. Stubbornness and old and crafty won out and it was on my back deck in an hour or so. Followed the destructions on burn in and seasoning, and according to destructions, the thing is hot and burning, so cook some damn yardbird. I did, it was delicious.

Then spring weather in the South and other crap got in the way. Finally got my second cook yesterday. Two racks of spareribs, a dozen beef short ribs, six country style pork ribs and three fatties with a boatload of room to spare, did not use the top grate. I have some schooling to do on fire management with this guy but was able to maintain 250ish for the seven hours (8.5 if you include the bring up to temp time). Spares done in five, shorts and CSRs in seven and still maintained temp for another hour or two on a 15 pound bag of "Ridge" bricks.

It will be a fun journey dialing this guy in. HogGrog nailed in post # 11 "Go for it and don’t look back!".

Thanks to all of you who responded to my initial question.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:09 PM   #23
jkief
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Jeffry

I just bought a 48” from Jeff a few weeks back. I’ve grilled and smoked on it. Will go as low as 225 or as high as over 700. I’ve no issues with using it as a smoker. I’ve bought the FireBoard fan and controller for nights I don’t feel like keeping eyes on fuel. I can’t say enough good things about it. I happened to get mine just before prices went up, so I really lucked out there. If you want to know anything in particular, send me a message.

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-16-2021, 08:25 PM   #24
Delpo
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Delpo

Got a 48 recently and am very happy. Took me some practice to control Temps but last smoke of ribs and a butt went great. At the beginning it leaked a bit through the fire doors and main door but it sealed up with use in no time. It even shuts down real fast after use.
Delpo is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2021, 05:29 AM   #25
Chester
Full Fledged Farker

How easy are these 48’s to clean the ash pan. That’s my only concern with them. I know the build quality is good, especially for the price Jeff charges.
UDS home made and ugly
Weber Genesis II SE 330
Breeo X 24

Old 04-17-2021, 06:14 AM   #26
bschoen
Babbling Farker

The ash pan just slides out, I dump it and then scrape it down, if needed, with a wide metal Spackle knife. Then hose it off, or not.

So, short answer, easy.

Old 04-17-2021, 06:58 AM   #27
jkief
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester View Post
How easy are these 48’s to clean the ash pan. That’s my only concern with them. I know the build quality is good, especially for the price Jeff charges.
I lined my ash pan with foil. After everything is cool, I slide the pan out 3/4 way and sweep the ash into a dust pan, and dump into a bucket. Dump the bucket and slide the pan back in. The ash pan is fairly heavy and awkward plus I’m too lazy to keep lifting it to go dump it.

Old 04-17-2021, 01:31 PM   #28
Chester
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkief View Post
I lined my ash pan with foil. After everything is cool, I slide the pan out 3/4 way and sweep the ash into a dust pan, and dump into a bucket. Dump the bucket and slide the pan back in. The ash pan is fairly heavy and awkward plus I’m too lazy to keep lifting it to go dump it.
That sounds easy enough. I was wondering about that 4 foot long ash pan being a bit heavy and awkward to handle.
UDS home made and ugly
Weber Genesis II SE 330
Breeo X 24

Old 04-17-2021, 01:44 PM   #29
jkief
Take a breath!

This is exactly how I set mine up for smoking. Line the ash pan, spread the coals and add wood, line the v-pan with foil. Works like a charm!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8C97842B-8E53-4FE1-86E4-BD2D0F753DBB.jpg (61.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 2AE2CB81-97FB-4B46-BBC6-D9D86F8E2264.jpg (87.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg EDA70613-1B46-4EC3-8424-57ED471044A3.jpg (103.1 KB, 30 views)

Old 04-17-2021, 08:35 PM   #30
Delpo
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Delpo

I'm even lazier. Ash vacuum.
Delpo is online now   Reply With Quote