MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:13 AM   #76
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Planning on a full service sit down bbq restaurant or buy by the pound and sit down type? Looks like the pizza place had a buffet set up.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:49 AM   #77
PC Smoker
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : James

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
Wishing you the best of luck!

That premises really has potential. Solid floors, wash area, walk-in fridges, front counter, canopy for the cookers etc is a really big deal.

Had a look at those pits. Smart move for a new restaurant. You don't want to be screwing around with pits that might give you a variable result... especially if you're not the Pitmaster all the time.

Suggest you have a look at a few BBQ related shows of "Restaurant Impossible" to get some ideas for decoration on a budget.

Honestly, what you are doing takes guts.

Hope you can keep posting. Once you get busy, you might not have the time.

Cheers!
Yeah it was pretty much the only location that had all the basic infrastructure I needed in the area, so that was huge. The CTO pit is a great smoker, and having the simplicity of running those pits will be a huge advantage, I deserve 1 day off out of 7 eventually right?? I'm actually still toying around with the idea of closing on Mondays, but I probably won't do that for at least several months of operation.

I am going to check out a few episodes, I definitely am on a budget. Was planning on buying a lot of my FFE (outside of smokers) at auctions.

I hope I get to the point where I can only update sporadically due to the business! I'll do my best as the months go by to post as many updates as possible

You guys are the best!
PC Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-14-2019, 11:50 AM   #78
PC Smoker
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hapgood View Post
Need all the Brethren to send you license plates from all over. Can't have a BBQ place without plates! Just kidding. Good luck on your new path!

Haha I actually really like this idea!! How do we make this happen?

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-14-2019, 11:51 AM   #79
PC Smoker
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
Planning on a full service sit down bbq restaurant or buy by the pound and sit down type? Looks like the pizza place had a buffet set up.
Definitely not full service, I want to get people in and out as quickly as possible due to dining room limitations. Quick service, order at one end, pick up food at the other end. Also have a drive thru that I plan on utilizing in the future for call in orders.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:08 PM   #80
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

It would be cool if you could have the meat sliced in front of the customer at that front counter as they ordered like at Franklin BBQ.
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2019, 12:34 PM   #81
PC Smoker
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcyork28 View Post
It would be cool if you could have the meat sliced in front of the customer at that front counter as they ordered like at Franklin BBQ.

That was the plan ;)

Old 05-14-2019, 02:51 PM   #82
nmbbqer
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Scottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Smoker View Post
Haha I actually really like this idea!! How do we make this happen?
Just ask, I'm sure I could find at least one LP for you. I've been to Wilmington once, I really liked it. Good luck with your new place!
nmbbqer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2019, 02:53 PM   #83
Jrogers84
is One Chatty Farker

I look forward to following your success!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jrogers84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2019, 03:43 PM   #84
toys4dlr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : David

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Smoker View Post
For sure, having the hood system/ansul saves me thousands as does the walk-in coolers and grease trap. Just out of curiosity could I ask what the 2 restaurants you started up cost?
Both places are different, as my first sat 30 (built 2010) and the current (Built 201 seats 80. Both were former food places, so some of the bones were there. I had to put in a hood in both and refurbish a second hood in the second place.

Basically hood prices have gone through the roof. I put a 15 foot full ansul system in 2010 and it was 14k. an 8 foot in 2018 was 15k.

Check out your grease trap and make sure it is in good working order, as I wrote that into the second place lease and the landlord had to replace that at a cost of 5k. I also wrote a 2 year warranty into the lease on the HVAC system, cause replacing a condenser is not cheap.

All in around 75k to open the doors. It should not cost that much, but it does. dealing with simple plans and submissions to the city, change orders. New prep tables, smokers and such.

The biggest lesson I learned is used refrigeration is a big gamble at best. Really look at the condition of the walk in and any prep coolers and such you might use. I spent so much time and money fixing used prep table, that it did not save me anythiing by going used. And they always seem to break, just as the health inspector comes in the door.

If the fans and condenser are old or marginal, Now is the time to replace with new fans and condensers, not a year in when you have 5k in food items in them. You can always re tile the bathroom and such later. DON'T MESS WITH CHEAP REFRIGERATION. lol

Hire more people than you think, cause you will want to fire half of them the first day.

Best of luck

Toys 4 BBQ'N Competition BBQ Team
4x Hunsaker Drum Smokers
FEC 100 (sold), FEC 120 (sold), FEC 240, FEC 500 (sold), PG 500
Shirley Fab 52 x 24 Patio (sold)
250 gallon trailered Moberg
toys4dlr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2019, 04:43 PM   #85
Norm
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Private

Good advice above. I built a restaurant from the ground up and tried to save money on used. In the end it was more expensive for all the reasons he just stated. If you don't already get a good HVAC company lined up. I closed in 2 years, never worked so hard to lose so much money in my life! Not saying you will just that the restaurant biz is a tough one.

Good luck!
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2019, 05:20 PM   #86
NC Mike
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Look forward to your updates. We go down to Topsail a couple of times a year and Wilmington isn't that far down the road.
NC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #87
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

what job did you quit?
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2019, 07:17 PM   #88
Bigbears BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Best of luck we are all pulling for you, thank you for sharing your journey.
OG PBC
Gen 1Weber performer
Bigbears BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2019, 07:26 PM   #89
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Definitely not full service, I want to get people in and out as quickly as possible due to dining room limitations. Quick service, order at one end, pick up food at the other end.
Opening those outside tables makes this so much better.

Can we scrap entirely the idea of Drive-Through?
I may be out of my league, but that is one entirely different business, within your business. Let's do #1 Excellent, then, look into drive through - maybe.
And one UDS can do at least 4 butts per shift. 3 or 4 UDS to add to the arsenal for the WIN!
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2019, 07:37 PM   #90
PC Smoker
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys4dlr View Post
Both places are different, as my first sat 30 (built 2010) and the current (Built 201 seats 80. Both were former food places, so some of the bones were there. I had to put in a hood in both and refurbish a second hood in the second place.

Basically hood prices have gone through the roof. I put a 15 foot full ansul system in 2010 and it was 14k. an 8 foot in 2018 was 15k.

Check out your grease trap and make sure it is in good working order, as I wrote that into the second place lease and the landlord had to replace that at a cost of 5k. I also wrote a 2 year warranty into the lease on the HVAC system, cause replacing a condenser is not cheap.

All in around 75k to open the doors. It should not cost that much, but it does. dealing with simple plans and submissions to the city, change orders. New prep tables, smokers and such.

The biggest lesson I learned is used refrigeration is a big gamble at best. Really look at the condition of the walk in and any prep coolers and such you might use. I spent so much time and money fixing used prep table, that it did not save me anythiing by going used. And they always seem to break, just as the health inspector comes in the door.

If the fans and condenser are old or marginal, Now is the time to replace with new fans and condensers, not a year in when you have 5k in food items in them. You can always re tile the bathroom and such later. DON'T MESS WITH CHEAP REFRIGERATION. lol

Hire more people than you think, cause you will want to fire half of them the first day.

Best of luck
That makes me feel better and really AWESOME advice. I actually budgeted 75k with 25k on hand to be safe. I won't have to worry about the hood systems either. The landlord and I are going back and forth over how long he will guarantee the hood vents/Ansul, walkins, and HVAC.

Reach in coolers I was leaning towards new, but I think you sold me on them completely. Fryer/Stovetop/alto shams I might still go used but new on everything else

How long was you build out period?