Father’s Day Flap Meat Carne Asada

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Father’s day was a hot day out here in So (Lo) Cal. I wanted to cook something different but something both the wife and MIL would eat as well. Flap meat is a lesser known cut of beef although it’s fairly popular here in the So (Lo) Cal area. Many markets sell it thinly sliced plain

or pre-seasoned for carne asada. They slice it thin so it cooks fast and you gets a nice crust / char on it.

I wanted something a little different that the normal way they sell it, so I had the butcher bring me a whole one from the back. (It looks a lot like skirt steak but with a larger grain to the meat)

I made up some of my carne asada marinate. (See link for recipe
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227459)

Un-packaged the meat. Notice the way the grain is running.

Trimmed it up and cut it into more manageable pieces. I cut these with the grain as I’ll be cutting it into taco size pieces across the grain once it’s cooked.

Gave these a bath and massaged all around

and then placed it into a 1 gallon zip-loc for a 4 to 6 hour get to know each other rest.

While it was marinating I made up some Avocado Tomatillo salsa. Here are the ingredients:

Everything in the salsa blender and gave it a good spin.

I usually break out the Weber on fast cooks like this and did so again. Placed most the meat over the coals

and alternated the pieces to give each a nice char.

While it was cooking I heated up some tortillas.

Meat is ready

so I sliced it up against the grain. I did some well dome for the wife

and some medium for myself.

I then set up my Taco Cart errrr Bar

and made 3 delicious tacos with some pickled red onions, a slice of water melon and a Negra Modelo.

Up the close up.

So delicious! :becky:

Thanks for looking.

Looks wonderful - I've never eaten carne asada with big pieces they are usually chopped up. I am going to run with this again as I have never gotten the taste the way our locals make it here in Missouri.

Nice job!

Nice tacos DH, thanks for the marinade recipe gonna give it a try soon

Looks wonderful - I've never eaten carne asada with big pieces they are usually chopped up. I am going to run with this again as I have never gotten the taste the way our locals make it here in Missouri.

Nice job!
Thank you Goose. If you're wanting traditional taste then you want the thin sliced stuff and then chopped into pieces. Gives it better marinate penetration and crust. More like the street tacos in my linked recipe post. This was not quite traditional Carne Asada taste as it was thick. More like a cross between that and a good steak. Oh and another thing. This is the citrus based marinate. There is also spicier chili based marinate as well.

Last edited:
Looks great DH. The couple times I have tried to make Asada or even beef fajitas, it has turned out tough. Might give that recipe a look...

Going to try your salsa recipe. Nice job!

Bought all the fixin's last night going to make these this week!

On my new CC Flat top griddle (had to throw that in).

Back