Ive done it now...need help!

CUTigerQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I let the wrong person taste my Q the other night and they came and asked me to cook for a party of about 35 people. They want Pulled Pork, Baked Beans, and slaw. How do I charge for this? How much meat should I buy? The client is going to buy the meat, Im just gonna cook all the food and supply the slaw and beans as well. No clue how much to charge for this.

HELP!!

I'm not sure how everyone else feels but I would AT LEAST go with whoever buys the meat.

fil

OK...it has now changed to me buying and cooking the meat for 25-30 people. Anyone wanna help me here and fill me in on what to charge for just the meat and cooking it? I know I need about 1 pound of uncooked meat per person to yield about 6-8 oz per person cooked. Do I charge this by the pound 0r person? If by the pound, would it be cooked or uncooked?

Ive really gotten myself in a jam with this. I simply do not know enough to do something like this. I need as much help as I can muster from you guys!

If it's meat only, charge by the pound, cooked weight.

I'd go with a flat rate. You can't depend on the number when you are not the planner. Price out what you need to make everything and then add what your time and talent is worth. If they are still interested I'd ask for enough to at least cover your costs up front and the final payment right before you are about to serve the first plate (just kidding).

Don't feel like you are in a jam. It will just stress you out.
If it was me I would get 40-45 lbs of pork butt and 10-15 lbs of polish sausage (everyone loves sausage :-D ) disposable pans, foil, apple juice, spices and fuel ect. anything you will be "out of pocket".
Figure what all of that will cost. That should be what you get up front. Now the tough part...... What is your time worth...only you can determine that.

just my thoughts
fil

As is see it, you want to serve 30, you want them to get at least 1/2 pound and maybe better, 2/3 pound of meat cooked weight. So, that means 15 to 20 pounds cooked meat. That translates to around 35 pounds of raw pork butt, bone-in. I assume a 40% loss on meat. From there, figure your materials and time. Materials are most likely gonna be some charcoal, some wood, in a UDS, you are looking at maybe $20. Then time is left.

Around here, pulled pork is somewhere around $15 to $20 a pound, but, I think that number is high for most parts of the country.

I made a grad total of 55 pounds of uncooked bone in pork butt to pull for a change of comand ceremony. Be prepared as if your smoker isn't setup you are in for long process or rotating the meat in tin pans to make the heat even. It was all worth it and I had a blast, Hope you have fun. Oh and the cost of the butts was around 100 bucks but that's in Hawaii so I imagine you can get it cheaper.

What's the plan if you make 35 people sick? Homeowners ain't gonna cut it.

Hey, it's legitimate question. Most times people don't think about the dark things that could happen.

You'll need around 4, 8.5#-9# butts...or 35# raw weight. I'd go with around $8 per person. The contract would be for 35 people...no matter how many show up.

Our costs should be close since you're in GA.

Don't Panic brother you will be fine. I would cook 35# to 45# of pork and 15# to 20# of beans and slaw each! Price out the food and fuel for your cooking and I would charge around $250 to $300 for your time. That seams like a fair days wage.

Since you are serving sides 35#s of uncooked meat will be plenty. Have no fear it will turn out great.

MariettaSmoker, How did the event go? I bet it was great.
Maybe I should ask what the date is / was first.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I'm in the same bind with a company BBQ for 50 people. (the company I work for)
I got our controller to agree to them buying all the meat and goods, me cooking on my cookers with my sauce and rubs. And they buy me a new 22" WSM.
And I get paid for the day, a Friday.
I think it's a win-win!

4-5 butts, a cup of beans per person, a scoop of slaw, (always err on a little extra), Add in your disposables, alu trays, utensils, paperware, fuel, time, etc,

Just total all your costs up and add at least 35%..

I would be around $10 per person. If it was just cooking min $20 an hr for labour, plus expenses.
Good luck.

Back