Where do we go from here!

rus_bro

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have been doing a couple cookoffs a year for about 7 years now. Usually a church cookoff in Baton Rouge with about 22 teams, and a neighborhood event with a few friends. I have done a couple other real events, but nothing too crazy.

This year I pulled Grand Champion in both of the above mentioned comps, SO i figured id jump in over my head. Last weekend participated in the Humble Rodeo Cookoff in Humble Tx. 119 teams, its a pretty big event. Felt out of my league all weekend, with my 5 tents, backyard Shirley, drum and kettle. some SERIOUS setups out there. Was a nasty rainy weekend and for the first time in over 5 years my brisket turnin was GARBAGE. Not sure the issue, but 15 hours and the brisket never got over 194*.. BUT I DIGRESS.

All said and done, we take 10TH OVERALL !! Didnt feel 100% about anythign that went out, but did what we usually do and it paid off.

SO... where the hell do i go from here? apparently we can cook, thinking about investing in the team and taking it to the next level of some sort..

What would you guys do?

thanks
Rb

You, my fry, have been bitten by the bug. You have proven that you know what you are doing, and I agree with Marty, you will never know unless you try. Don't go through the years wondering or having regrets. Do as much as you can and can afford to go to the next level, whatever that level may be. And congrats on your success so far.

Be very careful and think this over before you go out and spend money on getting more involved in the contest circuit. That bbq pit may turn into a money pit. My first big contest was way back in 1989 at the American Royal. Our team took first place in lamb and we hit the circuit. The only contest I cook now is the Royal and I am looking forward to cooking my 33 year in October. I always joke that that blue ribbon and the $50.00 prize wound up costing me well over 100K. But you cannot put a price on friendship and I have made a lot of friends during the years including some from the 1989 contest. Good luck!

If it were me I would give it a go, but Like Juggy said, take it slow.

Use the set-up you have for a while, make sure you really want to do this, once you feel like you're doing well, then get a trailer or something that is comfortable. Notice I didn't say invest in a trailer? LOL

My very first comp was in October of 2021 and I got 3rd place pork and brisket.
The next 2 comps I tanked, but never came in last so I continued on.

Soon after I found my stride and started scoring well, averaging 2-3 calls per comp and even won a fairly big comp with some very experienced and winning teams.

Go for it! We started head first 10 years ago with a full KCBS contest. Got 7th place pork (looking back i have no idea how).

I've tried to take it slow, using webers until I finally bought a Jambo in August 2022.

Like others said, take it slow. You have a nice smoker already. We still use tents with no trailer after 10 years. (Although I wish I had one)

Go for it! We started head first 10 years ago with a full KCBS contest. Got 7th place pork (looking back i have no idea how).

I've tried to take it slow, using webers until I finally bought a Jambo in August 2022.

Like others said, take it slow. You have a nice smoker already. We still use tents with no trailer after 10 years. (Although I wish I had one)

I agree , only thing ill add is 119 field open up for ALOT of judges tables , angle table , tables of death a plenty.

Not saying didn't cook well , but there is a lot of table luck involved in 119 team field

just keep same set up , roll into another comp when you can ... why change spend $ on cookers , im still cooking same cookers i used in back yard now 3 years deep into pro same cookers

backyard team of year 1st year ever cooking comps
1st pro year 5th overall for year
2nd pro year 4th overall for year
3rd currently at 2nd overall for year

keep with what you know you can produce great bbq with. anything can produce great BBQ

I have been doing a couple cookoffs a year for about 7 years now. Usually a church cookoff in Baton Rouge with about 22 teams, and a neighborhood event with a few friends. I have done a couple other real events, but nothing too crazy.

This year I pulled Grand Champion in both of the above mentioned comps, SO i figured id jump in over my head. Last weekend participated in the Humble Rodeo Cookoff in Humble Tx. 119 teams, its a pretty big event. Felt out of my league all weekend, with my 5 tents, backyard Shirley, drum and kettle. some SERIOUS setups out there. Was a nasty rainy weekend and for the first time in over 5 years my brisket turnin was GARBAGE. Not sure the issue, but 15 hours and the brisket never got over 194*.. BUT I DIGRESS.

All said and done, we take 10TH OVERALL !! Didnt feel 100% about anythign that went out, but did what we usually do and it paid off.

SO... where the hell do i go from here? apparently we can cook, thinking about investing in the team and taking it to the next level of some sort..

What would you guys do?

thanks
Rb

If you know your cookers why change? I'd skip spending money on a new smokers. If you are going to spend money on anything I'd upgrade the comforts
while you are at the cook. Being out of the elements and being rested is key. Mistakes happen when you are wet, sunburnt, or tired.

Back