Catering smoker

Fordguy1987

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hey guys

I currently do bbq catering and have been using my Pitboss 1150. I’m thinking of investing in a custom offset smoker trailer. I would be able to fit more meat on the pit and take on bigger jobs . My question is would a smoker on a trailer be better or a offset on wheels. Thanks in advance and smoke on

Most large “catering” offsets are built onto their own trailer vs moving one onto a trailer for transport.

Since you're using a PitBoss I'm assuming you're not doing this legally...ie with the authorization of your local / county health department?

Something to consider is that if you do upgrade to a larger piece of equipment that brings more eyes to your endeavor. In my experience in North Carolina health departments absolutely do not want to see offset smokers...what they want to see is stainless steel. There's not a whole lot of offset smokers which are stainless, and those which are tend to be exorbitant in terms of price.

Figure out how you want to move forward. All this being said the people, ie the customers, LOVE to see offset smokers because they can see the wood fire and the smell lures them in. I cooked all my food in my trailer out front of my house, and would travel from my house to the cook site with the food in hot hold. When I got to the cook site first thing I did was fire up the smoker again and toss on just a couple wings. This got the smell of the meat and the smell of the wood fire wafting, and people would salivate in line waiting for their food.

When it comes to larger offsets I'm 100% on the side of putting them on a trailer. It just makes them so much easier to move, and if you do end up getting bigger catering jobs people want to see the food on the smoker (in my experience, of course).

Good luck moving forward.

If you are interested in a stainless offset, I have a friend that has a 36 inch offset mounted on a trailer. I do not know the exact dimensions on the cook chamber but it has three doors, so it could be 8 feet long. There is a lot of real estate for cooking. Get in touch with me if you are interested.

Thanks,

Robert

Cooker

If you are interested in a stainless offset, I have a friend that has a 36 inch offset mounted on a trailer. I do not know the exact dimensions on the cook chamber but it has three doors, so it could be 8 feet long. There is a lot of real estate for cooking. Get in touch with me if you are interested.

Thanks,

Robert

That sounds awesome. And heavy…

Since you're using a PitBoss I'm assuming you're not doing this legally...ie with the authorization of your local / county health department?

Agreed. I'm still trying to get my Health Department lady to explain to me how some food can be cooked in/on a trailer but other has to be done in a certified kitchen. But, oddly enough, I have been to a bar/grill in town that had a Pitboss Copperhead in their back that they used for smoking.

Back