MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:28 PM   #16
johniecollins
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : JohnieT
Default Cascade Smokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBBQ View Post
Hey Everyone. Thanks for allowing me to join such a great site. I'm new to the BBQ smoking game. I would like to get your opinions and thoughts on the 3 list of 3, but opinion to other smoker considerations (advantages/ disadvantages, direct flow vs reverse flow and options to consider. Based on my research, they are all solid smokers, made by stand-up reputable guys and fairly close in price. Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

1) Ironside Smoker - Slugger
2) LSG - Large
3) Cascade Smokers - The Continental

Side note: I've currently been on Ironside's waitlist for about 3-4 months.
I have the Cascade Competitor and love it. I did a lot of research before buying it. I like this smoker better every time I use it. It holds a steady temp real well and is easy to adjust. I have smoked Ribs, Brisket, Pork Butt, Jerky, Turkey, Chicken, fish, Sausage, Summer sausage and more. It works wonderful for all of them. It is really well build and super insulated. I have used a lot of other smokers and would certainly recommend this smoker. All models are the same quality so it is just what size you want.
johniecollins is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2019, 01:40 PM   #17
nweave2614
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
I thought each rack was either 3" or 3.5" apart? LSG basically built the exact smoker I wanted but they couldn't build at the time I wanted. It even has the wide grates vs what Humphrey's has and that's why I stay away from Humphrey's.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I have not measured them but my guess is that they are 3 inches, the foil pans I have found at costco or sams are all like 3 & 1/8th so they will "Fit" if I really jam them in there but they do not just slide right in.
nweave2614 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2019, 02:14 PM   #18
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2smoke View Post
It works fantastic. I have a friend that has the "Que Deville" and another that has the "Competitor " both from Cascade Smokers they cook in pans all the time and the end result is superb.
Sorry, I was curious how air flow got around pans that were suspended by the grate racks.
ebijack is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2019, 05:42 PM   #19
luv2smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
Sorry, I was curious how air flow got around pans that were suspended by the grate racks.
The air flow gous around the front and back of the pans as there is more than adequate space for good air flow

Old 07-17-2019, 12:11 AM   #20
boogiechillen
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
I have the Quedeville from cascade smokers. Man do I love this thing.

I got the cart so the smoker is at a really comfortable height.

I really like the versatility of the hotel pans. Easy to prep something like salmon and put it in the pan up on a cooling rack inside the pan.

Air flow from the firebox comes up the sides on the left, right and back and goes out the chimney which starts on the bottom middle of the back.

Since an early run, I haven’t really paid attention to the evenness of the grates, too to bottom, but the one time I did, I had all three within a few degrees. They were super close.

I actually have taken one rack out so I can slide the hotel pans in easy. I have only used more than one rack once. The Quedeville holds a lot of meat for a backyard cooker like myself.

It is built heavy duty and don’t see where Rob cut any corners.

The main reason I chose it because he is only a couple hours from and was able to pick it up from him. Was great to meet him and get some tips on using it directly. He is great to deal with.

The only other upgrade besides the cart was a probe port. I am glad I did it.
Weber Jumbo Joe
Homemade UDS
boogiechillen is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2019, 11:11 AM   #21
WoodBBQ
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Wood

Thanks for all the helpful responses.

How many of you guys are using water pans/ trays when smoking? Is it more of a nice to have but not really necessary?
WoodBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2019, 11:29 AM   #22
nweave2614
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Nick

Quote:

How many of you guys are using water pans/ trays when smoking? Is it more of a nice to have but not really necessary?
I have not tried water in my pan yet, I will at some point but Chris from LSG does not recommend water if your cooking above 225 degrees since your making to much steam and burning a lot of fuel to keep the pit temp up since the water is never going to exceed 212.
nweave2614 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2019, 04:25 PM   #23
JVM59
Full Fledged Farker

I have the LSG mini and use the water pan almost always.
BTW, if you do own a LSG cabinet cooker, be sure to keep the hinges oiled.
I found that out the hard way.
JVM59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2019, 05:54 PM   #24
luv2smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

I've never used water in mine and don't really feel that I have the need to do so as mine holds rock solid temps. I think the guys that tend to use water or feel the need to use water do so to regulate temps as they must be getting transient air into the combustion chamber making temps more difficult to regulate. Just spoke with Rob at Cascade Smokers yesterday and I decided to go with a custom size 3-36" wide x 24" deep racks. The smoker will have a cart so the charcoal box will be at waist level which will mitigate bending over to load fuel or clean the charcoal box and all three cooking racks will be at a comfortable working level.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:11 PM   #25
boogiechillen
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2smoke View Post
I've never used water in mine and don't really feel that I have the need to do so as mine holds rock solid temps. I think the guys that tend to use water or feel the need to use water do so to regulate temps as they must be getting transient air into the combustion chamber making temps more difficult to regulate. Just spoke with Rob at Cascade Smokers yesterday and I decided to go with a custom size 3-36" wide x 24" deep racks. The smoker will have a cart so the charcoal box will be at waist level which will mitigate bending over to load fuel or clean the charcoal box and all three cooking racks will be at a comfortable working level.
So about a foot wider and slightly deeper than the Quedeville.

I never use water in mine.

Stopped a while ago in my UDS as i burned way more fuel and had a harder time reaching higher temps. Didn’t see any drop off in moistness of meat either.
Weber Jumbo Joe
Homemade UDS
boogiechillen is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2019, 07:28 PM   #26
pharp
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
I thought each rack was either 3" or 3.5" apart? LSG basically built the exact smoker I wanted but they couldn't build at the time I wanted. It even has the wide grates vs what Humphrey's has and that's why I stay away from Humphrey's.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The racks on my humprheys are pretty wide.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:30 PM   #27
pharp
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Hey Everyone. Thanks for allowing me to join such a great site. I'm new to the BBQ smoking game. I would like to get your opinions and thoughts on the 3 list of 3, but opinion to other smoker considerations (advantages/ disadvantages, direct flow vs reverse flow and options to consider. Based on my research, they are all solid smokers, made by stand-up reputable guys and fairly close in price. Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

1) Ironside Smoker - Slugger
2) LSG - Large
3) Cascade Smokers - The Continental

Side note: I've currently been on Ironside's waitlist for about 3-4 months.
Heard lots of good things about all three, good luck with your choice.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:13 AM   #28
Leftwngr
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a pitmaker vault. I use water on two situation: 1) when temps spike and need to bring down. Water into smoke stack. 2) when running full cooker and bottom grate in use. Keeps from bottom of meats on bottom rack from burning.

Pucks not politics
Leftwngr is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2019, 04:38 AM   #29
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
I use foil covered drip pans mostly. I only use water when I'm burning pure wood. Same principle as my offset smoker. The water takes out some of the blast of the wood burning fire hot air passing by. To help get/keep more even temps and lower temps.
I will mention, in my experience. A loaded up cooker. No matter the type. Cooks differently full then when only having having one/two grates or minimal meats in the cooker. Makes a big difference IMHO.
When mine was reverse flow. There was no way to get even heat front/back and top/bottom loaded grates. I tried for almost 6 mths to get the dang thing to work. Water, no water, fire bricks etc. No real difference.
Top pic, original reverse flow. 4 grates, 8 identical ham steaks. Heat enters at the top and exits at the bottom. Drip pan ontop of pan with firebricks.
This will not due!
Reason for my mods..lots of mods.
Second pic, burning pure wood. using water in pan. 8, #8-10 porkbutts. I did have to rotate grates a couple times thru the cook. But not every hour like when reverse flow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ham steaks 16.jpg (55.9 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg 8 butts 15 hr 250.jpg (49.6 KB, 133 views)
ebijack is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2019, 04:09 PM   #30
RacrX
Full Fledged Farker

Ironside and LSG are both great options. I have the LSG, nearly bought the Ironside previously.

Follow my Instagram! @sweetsmokeBBQ
RacrX is offline   Reply With Quote