MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:26 PM   #16
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Stop going by temp. It'll be 195 or 215. Probe tender in the thickest part of the flat is the best way to test for doneness.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The 2019 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Planning Post! (Link)
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 07-12-2019, 09:38 PM   #17
4ever3
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I’ll take undercooked for a thousand Alex!

Rockinar said “Like a golden coral steak!”

Old Oklahoma Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Jumbo Smokey Joe
Weber Classic Premium (Jessi)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
GMG Daniel Boone

“The cannons don’t thunder, there’s nothing to plunder, I’m an over 40 victim of fate...”
4ever3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-12-2019, 09:53 PM   #18
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinger View Post
Thanks folks...

Maybe it is under cooked. Hum... but the Wiggle was there! - Having said that, the meat temp varied. In one spot, temp was around 202. But, most was in the 180s. And, I was trying to move the brisket around about every 30 minutes the last couple of hours to get a more even cook.

I used to wrap at the stall at 165 with peach paper. Maybe I just need to go back to that.

The last couple of times, I pulled it off in the 190's with some areas in the low 200's, wrapped it, and put it in the cooler for a couple of hours.

Thanks for the water pan suggestion and I do have Franklin's book. But, the ending of these cooks are nuanced for me and i seem to be blowing it. Earlier this year - I did over cook it and it was crumbly. Maybe I need to find the center line....

This is so frustrating...
Sounds like you have the solution. Stop opening the cooker so many times. It is just extending the cook times. And you also sound like you are freaking out a little at the end of the cook. Do not panic. Let the probe dictate when it is done. Do not let temp or time fool or tempt you into pulling it too soon. You will get there and once you get that probe feeling once it is like crack. You will be chasing that high for the rest of your life. It never gets old...

The 2019 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Planning Post! (Link)
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2019, 10:42 PM   #19
patrickd26
Full Fledged Farker

I agree with all of the above that said, "undercooked." Give it more time. Temp is ONLY a guide. Doneness is by feel.
patrickd26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2019, 05:12 AM   #20
SmoothBoarBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

As others have said you've undercooked the meat and that's why it's tough and chewy. Your stated plan for next week sounds pretty good, but I wouldn't worry about waiting until it comes all the way down to 140° before you start slicing it up. Putting the brisket in an ice chest is really only something you should do if you want to HOLD the meat, rather than rest it. Holding will keep it hot for several hours, while resting it slowly allows the meat to reduce from ~200° to a more edible temperature. If you're close to ready to eating when the brisket is nice and tender then let it REST, on the counter, loosely tented in foil for maybe 35-45 minutes.

The "probe test" is the most effective means at determining the doneness of a piece of meat. Temp is a good guide but as others have stated large cuts of meat can have huge spans of finishing temps....from 190-215°. People say butter but for people who are trying to figure out what that means I suggest using a jar of peanut butter rather than a stick of butter. Before you probe the meat stick the probe into some peanut butter and get a feel for that resistance...that's going to be just about right in terms of how the brisket should feel when you probe it. Mind you I'm talking about the flat, not the point. You can cook it a bit further and get closer to butter, but butter has no resistance and when you take a brisket that far you're going to end up with some crumbling...which is OK because it's still good.

Also, Lang's are Reverse Flow cookers, so your entire cooking chamber should be VERY close in temp...probably 5° left to right. So no need to get in there and rotate the meat...just leave it alone, leave the door closed, and run a clean fire.

Good luck with your next cook and post your results (with some pics), and this way if you're still having problems we can try and give you a bit more guidance.

Gorilla Fabrications Wood/Propane Hog style smoker
SmoothBoarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2019, 06:18 AM   #21
Flinger
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Flinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmeatfist View Post
I don't think you need to wrap at 165, you could probably wrap when you are happy with the bark. I'd also say that if you go from the cooker to the ice chest then it will be way longer than two hours before you are at 140.
Yeah - I meant a couple of hrs, take it out, unwrap and let it simmer down to around 140 or so
Flinger is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2019, 06:21 AM   #22
Flinger
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post
Sounds like a plan! I don’t wrap mine, but a lot of people do.

I also do fat side up in my smoker.
Yeah, so do I. Thanks...

Old 07-13-2019, 06:22 AM   #23
Flinger
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Stop going by temp. It'll be 195 or 215. Probe tender in the thickest part of the flat is the best way to test for doneness.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Actually - I tried that (going by temp too much). In fact, that may be whats screwing me up...

Last edited by Flinger; 07-13-2019 at 06:28 AM..

Old 07-13-2019, 06:27 AM   #24
Flinger
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
As others have said you've undercooked the meat and that's why it's tough and chewy. Your stated plan for next week sounds pretty good, but I wouldn't worry about waiting until it comes all the way down to 140° before you start slicing it up. Putting the brisket in an ice chest is really only something you should do if you want to HOLD the meat, rather than rest it. Holding will keep it hot for several hours, while resting it slowly allows the meat to reduce from ~200° to a more edible temperature. If you're close to ready to eating when the brisket is nice and tender then let it REST, on the counter, loosely tented in foil for maybe 35-45 minutes.

The "probe test" is the most effective means at determining the doneness of a piece of meat. Temp is a good guide but as others have stated large cuts of meat can have huge spans of finishing temps....from 190-215°. People say butter but for people who are trying to figure out what that means I suggest using a jar of peanut butter rather than a stick of butter. Before you probe the meat stick the probe into some peanut butter and get a feel for that resistance...that's going to be just about right in terms of how the brisket should feel when you probe it. Mind you I'm talking about the flat, not the point. You can cook it a bit further and get closer to butter, but butter has no resistance and when you take a brisket that far you're going to end up with some crumbling...which is OK because it's still good.

Also, Lang's are Reverse Flow cookers, so your entire cooking chamber should be VERY close in temp...probably 5° left to right. So no need to get in there and rotate the meat...just leave it alone, leave the door closed, and run a clean fire.

Good luck with your next cook and post your results (with some pics), and this way if you're still having problems we can try and give you a bit more guidance.
Great advice from you and all. Thanks for the confidence. Greatly appreciated. I will be back with pics (if I can figure out how to upload... :)

Old 07-13-2019, 07:48 AM   #25
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
Try wrapping at butcher paper at around the start of the stall around 165-170. That should help a LOT. It will help preserve moisture and protect it from the heat. Dont run naked till you can do wrapped briskets. Wrapped is easier in my opinion.

Also any chance you're UNDER cooking it and you just think you're over cooking it? Almost sounds to me like you're UNDER cooking it.
1) Under cooking it will be dry and chewy. You will have to work your jaw to eat it like a Golden Corral steak.
2) Over cooked it will be dry and crumbly/brittle. It will fall apart in a bad way when you try to slice it. You wont really be able to get good slices.

Ignore the point 100%.

There is no "jiggle/wiggle test" that will tell you anything or be any help. All briskets have fat and will jiggle/wiggle. That does not mean its cooked.

Purchase Aaron Franklin's Masterclass and follow his advice. Its really good.

Also you have a reverse flow. Water pan does not go on firebox end, it goes on the opposite end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
This right here.

Texas Bash 10-26-2019 (link)

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2019, 07:59 AM   #26
DanB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinger View Post
Great advice from you and all. Thanks for the confidence. Greatly appreciated. I will be back with pics (if I can figure out how to upload... :)

DanB

Old 07-13-2019, 08:00 AM   #27
DanB
is One Chatty Farker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post

Probe it, can't go wrong!!
DanB

Old 07-13-2019, 09:25 AM   #28
sjb67
On the road to being a farker

PJ is correct. Briskets are like people no two are the same. Cook naked till you are happy with the color and bark then wrap. Start probing thick part of the flat around 195. I have had them finish anywhere between there and 215.

Also do not obsess with a pit temp. Every pit has a sweet spot where it will run clean and easy. Find where your pit settles in adjust your time lines to fit that and follow the other advice and you will be amazed with the result.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:27 AM   #29
pharp
is One Chatty Farker

Lots of great advice already. I would suggest covering the readout on your thermapen and probing for feel. I undercooked 3 briskets when I first started smoking and each time I thought it was overcooked. I had my "ah ha" moment by complete accident. I went out to run errands and totally forgot I had a brisket on. Came home and my UDS was running at 350. I immediately took it out and temped it and almost cried because I thought I had "wasted" that brisket. It temped at 207 and I was ready to throw it in the trash. I left it wrapped on the counter and sliced it up anyway...and it was perfect!. I don't mention the 350 or the 207 because I think these are magic numbers by any means, just a pure coincidence. I remembered that probe feel and that is now what I look for.

Good luck!

Old 07-13-2019, 11:42 AM   #30
Home Farm BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Justin

U got a 203 reading with lots of 180 readings. That 203 reading could be a fat pocket that is rendering down and reading at a higher level.

The feel part of a brisket is key. Probe tender like others have said. Someone cooking a brisket at 225 and someone cooking hot/fast at 300 will have different finishing temps. Cookers, briskets, and outside weather conditions can all be different parts of the equation also. That is why the probe test works all the time. Going to one temp can work, but might not work another time based on other conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Home Farm BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote