MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:52 AM   #16
frayedend
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Uncle View Post
I'm just a backyard guy, so definitely not a brisket expert, but I have noticed a difference between grades. The selects that I've done have generally turned out dry, whereas choice and prime are usually pleasantly juicy. This is cooking to probe tenderness, pit temp around 250F, with no wrap.
I wrapped with foil for the select. I figure I want to keep as much moisture in as possible. If I have choice I use paper.
frayedend is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2019, 06:56 AM   #17
kevinstaggs
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedend View Post
I had seen choice brisket in this Walmart just a few weeks prior. That was the reason I stopped to look. All they had was Select the last few weeks.

It may just be my bias, but my experience is that Wally Mart selects are some how “less than select.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
kevinstaggs is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2019, 01:35 PM   #18
frayedend
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstaggs View Post
It may just be my bias, but my experience is that Wally Mart selects are some how “less than select.”

They'd be in big trouble if that were true. Can't legally grade meat that isn't USDA inspected.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:25 PM   #19
arclite
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
They'd be in big trouble if that were true. Can't legally grade meat that isn't USDA inspected.
True, but there is a lot of variance within USDA grades.

I recently bought Costco choice NY strips that were darn close to prime in marbling and sinfully delicious.*Conversely, I bought a cryovac of choice grade tri tips from Rest. Depot last year that had very little marbling (even for a tri tip) and if not cooked right were tough to chew with a liver aftertaste.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:42 PM   #20
upStomp
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Thanks for the reminder, Jim. You're now going to have a bit more competition snaring up those rt 117 Wally World briskets. I completely forgot they stock them.

BBQ Brethren 2018 Tri-Tip Master!!!
upStomp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2019, 04:55 PM   #21
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Think some of y’all don’t Understand How Beef is Graded.........

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-11-2019, 05:09 PM   #22
16Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
THE University Of Texas (That’s Texas A&M Aggies NOT TU- the people in orange) has an excellent article on grading beef and yields.

https://meat.tamu.edu/beefgrading/

Old 07-11-2019, 07:17 PM   #23
kevinstaggs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

I agree they are properly graded and inspected. My point is that there’s considerable latitude in the process and that IMO Walmart meat is nothing to right home about, grade aside.

I can feed two animals out two different ways and they both might grade the same but not taste the same.

Just a little anti Wally Mart rant from me.

kevinstaggs is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2019, 05:19 AM   #24
16Adams

Walmart has entered agreement with premier producers and processors. I don’t go to Walmart like I once did preferring United-United Amigos,Sam’s And Fiesta Foods. Still happen in there occasionally but no longer first pick. Nor 2nd. But that may change

https://www.agweb.com/mobile/article...-supply-chain/

Old 07-12-2019, 07:43 AM   #25
frayedend
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upStomp View Post
Thanks for the reminder, Jim. You're now going to have a bit more competition snaring up those rt 117 Wally World briskets. I completely forgot they stock them.

LOL I found them in Hudson and Gardner so far. :)

Old 07-12-2019, 07:46 AM   #26
frayedend
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
I don't know a lot about it. IIRC I thought they grade the entire cow or the side or something like that and so you can have a lot of variation in the cuts. I don't really remember. But I know there is a lot of variation. When I buy Choice steaks I look for great marbling and usually I find something that is closer to prime. It's not as easy with an huge packer brisket but I've been lucky so far.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:43 AM   #27
Tannhauser42
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I had seen choice brisket in this Walmart just a few weeks prior. That was the reason I stopped to look. All they had was Select the last few weeks.
The Walmart in my area tends to be about 50/50 if you root around in the bin full of briskets, and they're all priced the same whether Select or Choice.
Tannhauser42 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2019, 11:56 AM   #28
Dom Mazzetti
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Zach

i'm about to do a 15 lb brisket from walmart. went to three different cotsco's and they didnt have any packers. we will see how it goes.
Dom Mazzetti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2019, 12:51 PM   #29
Texan79423
Full Fledged Farker

I cooked select for years as that is all I thought I could afford. If you baby them along cooking you can get a good brisket. Then It dawned on me that for maybe $5-6 more you can get a better choice brisket.

If you going to spend 8-12 hours smoking one go ahead and pop for the choice. However don't let in take away from you buying/drinking beer.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:20 PM   #30
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

One thing to keep in mind...

The carcass is graded based on a sample taken from the ribeye primal, not the brisket, so, a brisket from a select carcass could be 'better' than one from a prime carcass. I just depends on the cow and the marbling.

Yes, you have a better shot at getting a better brisket from prime or even choice, but you just can't go by the grading alone.

2019 Chicago-area Summer Gathering Information!!

2019 Chicago-area Summer Gathering Signup!!

Naked Fatties Rock!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360 X 2/Southern Q Limo Elite/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->