MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:23 PM   #16
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Rinsing poses a problem due to splatter of water. No splatter in fridge. Again how is poultry presented at a meat market.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:44 PM   #17
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

Not knowing the answer to this question is pretty bad...

Old 05-30-2015, 08:06 PM   #18
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
Rinsing poses a problem due to splatter of water. No splatter in fridge. Again how is poultry presented at a meat market.
Spreading nasties! No thanks YMMVMDK
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2015, 10:42 PM   #19
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

Quick, everyone quit eating poultry immediately!! The fact that we have been eating it for over 70 years ( for me anyway ) and I/we are still alive and well has nothing to do with it! Our big government in all their wisdom knows what is best for us sheeple. After all look at Obamacare and what a great thing that is.

Now I won't be able to sleep tonight thinking about the two chickens I cooked and ate last week that I rinsed, not once, but twice, and then left in the fridge open to the air for about 3 hours before cooking in the enclosed air space in my OTG. In case I am unable to return to this forum tomorrow, It has been an enjoyable time spent here for the last few years. If my wife survives, she may have my BBQ gear up for sale later in the month.

Omar

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:46 PM   #20
Meatguyver
On the road to being a farker

Great! Now i cant give my chickens a nice bath before i get em all dressed up for their show! Thanks a lot fellas! Poor chickens will be disappointed....
Meatguyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2015, 10:59 PM   #21
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Not all bacteria is bad for you.

Mostly, our guts contain a balance of bacteria that is better for you and some that are worse for you.

The worst thing you can do is ensure that your digestive tract gets zero bacteria.

Modern humans believe they know better than mother nature when it comes to bacteria because they have separated themselves from their natural environment.

Modern refrigeration hasn't been around all that long.

Butchered poultry stored in dark places and exposed to air has been around for thousands of years.

We need to trust that our biologies can handle it.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-30-2015, 11:15 PM   #22
mikemci
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleking View Post
Might want to freshen up on national news!
I took your advice and checked up on national news.

The economy is doing fine
ISIS is a junior varsity team
you can keep your doctor/plan
coffee is bad for you....wait, now it's good
eggs are bad for you about every other year

We all have our own opinions on matters and some of us have many years of experience as a basis on which our opinions were derived.

Thank you for expressing your opinion on this, but we don't all agree. That is why this forum is as great as it is...many methods to share and try. Then learn what works best individually.
red Thermapen

There are two kinds of countries in the world, those that use the metric system and the one that sent men to the moon and back.
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:54 PM   #23
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

Well, I am not a entomologist, nor do I play one on TV. However my untrained opinion on rinsing poultry in the sink is this:

Rinsing a chicken in the sink might cause a splash or two (or more) on to the area that surrounds the sink and probably the place that you are about to prepare your chicken on. So you may want to wash your prep area after you put chicken on it.

Think about it! Your chicken is touching everything that you are touching.
If you can handle a chicken and cook it without getting sick, then it is my "theory" that rinsing a chicken in the sink is relatively safe as well.
Just do not lick the sink or the surrounding area. Also you may want to wash the area as well as your hands, "repeatedly" while preparing any type of food.

This is my scientific interpretation of this conundrum and should not be taken as an endorsement to lick your countertop.
Built in Bull BBQ Gasser
Mini WSM
22.5" Weber OTS
22.5" OTG Blue
22.5 OTG
Anova Sous Vide
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2015, 02:03 AM   #24
ukbbqer
Got rid of the matchlight.

hiya all, its not just a US thing, we are getting the tv ad's over here, dont rinse etc.
i have rinsed poultry for over 40 yrs and i dont think it's killed me yet.

it's quite simple really, keep your work station clean and cook your chicken properly.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-31-2015, 05:29 AM   #25
1buckie
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Junkie View Post
Well, I am not a entomologist, nor do I play one on TV. However my untrained opinion on rinsing poultry in the sink is this:

Rinsing a chicken in the sink might cause a splash or two (or more) on to the area that surrounds the sink and probably the place that you are about to prepare your chicken on. So you may want to wash your prep area after you put chicken on it.

Think about it! Your chicken is touching everything that you are touching.
If you can handle a chicken and cook it without getting sick, then it is my "theory" that rinsing a chicken in the sink is relatively safe as well.
Just do not lick the sink or the surrounding area. Also you may want to wash the area as well as your hands, "repeatedly" while preparing any type of food.

This is my scientific interpretation of this conundrum and should not be taken as an endorsement to lick your countertop.
Agreed, for rinsing your chicken........but, what about RELAXING your chicken?

Martin Yan strikes again !!!!

1buckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-31-2015, 08:41 AM   #26
USMC
is one Smokin' Farker

Just make sure the chicken is dead first before washing and splashing can be kept to a minimum.

I always wash chicken and other poultry. You don't have to wash it with your sink on full blast. Just turn it down low and rinse and splashing can be avoided. As others have said, just do a quick wipe down clean up around the sink with some lysol wipes, 409, or some other cleaner that kills bacteria when you are done.

My opinion on the original question is that chicken is fine left uncovered in the fridge as long as you are careful not to touch it with your other foods.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-31-2015, 08:55 AM   #27
castlepines
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowhair42 View Post
On another group I belong to this question came up. I said it was OK but others said it was bad because air is bad for poultry. What opinions do you guys have?
I guess I have a different take on your question. What do you mean by is it bad for poultry? Bad as in will it be easier for bacteria to grow? Bad as in will it change the texture of the chicken? Bad as in the flavor will be different? Or bad as in something else?
castlepines is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2015, 09:41 AM   #28
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Comparisons of the old days to present is a little reckless. Antibiotic resistant bacteria did not exist back then when penicillin was the drug of choice. Staph and MRSA come to mind.

The wide spread use off antibiotics will only continue to make things worse.

Carry on, nothing to see here.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2015, 09:51 AM   #29
Brew n Que
On the road to being a farker

Leaving chicken open in the fridge is not harmful at all, provided the chicken doesn't physically contact things you don't want it contacting. Food borne pathogens are not airborne, so no worries.

As for rinsing, why would you rinse? I have yet to hear of any reasonable benefits to rinsing. You'd be surprised at how much fine mist is produced from a running faucet, and how far that can carry.
Brew n Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2015, 10:02 AM   #30
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlepines View Post
I guess I have a different take on your question. What do you mean by is it bad for poultry? Bad as in will it be easier for bacteria to grow? Bad as in will it change the texture of the chicken? Bad as in the flavor will be different? Or bad as in something else?
I have no idea what they meant. I didn't even care to find out. Once they said air is bad. ...