MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:29 PM   #1
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice
Default What makes the best slather?

I have been a long time lurker and have read everything from yellow mustard, oil, Molasses, Ketchup, even A1, and Mayo. I am sure i am missing a lot. I am curious which of these slathers (binder) affects flavor and color the least, and also the most.

Thank you for reading, and thank you even more for responding.
EyeBurnEverything is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2018, 10:32 PM   #2
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marc

What (meat) are you slathering?

I've used this and that, but it all "depends."

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-05-2018, 10:34 PM   #3
BruceB
is one Smokin' Farker

I've only used mustard and Worsty Sauce as a slather in the past. And neither left any trace of flavor or related color.

I don't use any slather now. I will rub my protein about 1 hour before going on the cooker and allow it to form a paste as it reacts with the meat, then reapply a light coating of rub before going on the cooker.

Bruce

22 1/2" WSM and 18 1/2" WSM
Weber 22 1/2" Kettle, Weber Jumbo Joe 18 1/2"
Weber Genesis Gasser
Treasurer, Great Lakes Barbecue Association
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-05-2018, 10:35 PM   #4
SmittyJonz

Tbs......

Old 06-05-2018, 10:42 PM   #5
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post

Lets to stick to beef and pork. That brings up a good question...Which slathers are universal?

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-05-2018, 10:45 PM   #6
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

I find thicker slathers like mustard and mayo to be very prone to shed rub because of the texture. So I reserve it for ribs where I can do the bone side first and then apply rub on the top when I have it on the smoker. The resulting bark is usually more clumpy, like the skin on KFC original recipe.

Thinner slathers like worchestershire and oil I use for brisket or any meat that requires more handling.

But overall, some may not detect the added flavors, but it will depend on your rub and if it overpowers it.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:52 PM   #7
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
I find thicker slathers like mustard and mayo to be very prone to shed rub because of the texture. So I reserve it for ribs where I can do the bone side first and then apply rub on the top when I have it on the smoker. The resulting bark is usually more clumpy, like the skin on KFC original recipe.

Thinner slathers like worchestershire and oil I use for brisket or any meat that requires more handling.

But overall, some may not detect the added flavors, but it will depend on your rub and if it overpowers it.
Another good point. What slather works best to adhere the rub onto the meat without falling off? I would have thunk a thicker slather like yellow mustard would work better then oil.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:01 PM   #8
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeBurnEverything View Post
Another good point. What slather works best to adhere the rub onto the meat without falling off? I would have thunk a thicker slather like yellow mustard would work better then oil.

Mustard certainly works better with the rub since it can collect more on the surface. But you'll also end up with more of it on your gloves than on your meat during the handling process. I can write things with the thicker slathers.... yet oil/worchestshire doesn't stick to the gloves as much. It seems impartial to which side it goes on.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:06 PM   #9
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
Mustard certainly works better with the rub since it can collect more on the surface. But you'll also end up with more of it on your gloves than on your meat during the handling process. I can write things with the thicker slathers.... yet oil/worchestshire doesn't stick to the gloves as much. It seems impartial to which side it goes on.
What is your opinion on which slather helps the rub set (bark) to the point that you can not even rub it off (pun intended)?

Old 06-05-2018, 11:09 PM   #10
Smoke on Badger Mountain
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Josh

I have never ever had a bad cook using either EVOO (my standard) or mayo.

24"x52" Custom Offset, Black 22" Weber Kettle , Deep Ocean Blue 22' Weber Kettle, Camp Chef 2 burner w/ griddle. Char-Broil Table Top gas Grill, One very ugly drum, Nice drum coming soon.
Instagram @lumberjacksmokestack
https://www.youtube.com/c/LumberjackSmokestack
Smoke on Badger Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2018, 11:15 PM   #11
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke on Badger Mountain View Post
I have never ever had a bad cook using either EVOO (my standard) or mayo.
I have used Mayo on turkey's for thanksgiving. It worked really well for browning and crisping up the skin. I have never tried it as a slather for rub on other meats.

How about a yellow mustard/mayo mixture as a slather? Best of both worlds?

Old 06-06-2018, 12:00 AM   #12
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
I've only used mustard and Worsty Sauce as a slather in the past. And neither left any trace of flavor or related color.

I don't use any slather now. I will rub my protein about 1 hour before going on the cooker and allow it to form a paste as it reacts with the meat, then reapply a light coating of rub before going on the cooker.
What the guys said^^^^

I use

Pork: Mustard

Chicken: Mayo

Beef and lamb: Worcestershire

Fish or just an all around slather for me is high burning point oils like grape seed, sunflower, safflower, avocado etc.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2018, 12:11 AM   #13
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post

I used to do this, and it worked great for flavor and the rub really setting. But i spoke to a few local pitmasters that made some really good Q, and they told me they start off completely naked and cold, and after the meat reaches ambient temp they slather and rub. They never got into detail on the slather, nor the rub, but their Q looked, smelled, and tasted Amazing.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:47 AM   #14
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeBurnEverything View Post
I used to do this, and it worked great for flavor and the rub really setting. But i spoke to a few local pitmasters that made some really good Q, and they told me they start off completely naked and cold, and after the meat reaches ambient temp they slather and rub. They never got into detail on the slather, nor the rub, but their Q looked, smelled, and tasted Amazing.
I'll tell you one thing, no one is going to give you their secrets. It's all in the hints and the rest is up to you to ponder and figure out. At the end of the day it's you putting two and two together. Gotta say though, us brethren are pretty generous in giving out details.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2018, 01:16 AM   #15
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Mustard thinned with pickle juice.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote