Is my brisket done? results... BURNT ENDS... PRON

DirtyDirty00

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Saturday night i made a brisket. I was unsure if it was done so i posted and got many responses. I left it on the bbq for a while longer. I let the BBQ rise up a little higher to about 300. (was doing a hot brisket at around 275).

The temp in the brisket went up to around 195-200. I took it out and tented it for a while. I separated the point and flat and i sliced up the flat.

Turns out that it ended up being overdone. I dont think it was done when i originally thought it was, but when i saw it at like 190-195 i let it go another 15-20 min which i probably shouldnt have. the meat def got more tender as the probe slide almost completely through the brisket with no resistance at all.

it was hard to slice up as it broke apart easily. the edges on the bottom were a bit hard to cut through as they were very barky. this made it a little harder to slice, so i had to do thicker slices to prevent it from coming apart. it was also dry.

i sliced it up and dipped some slices into the drippings. this made them very yummy and moist again.

all in all this was my best brisket yet. very tender although dry. i would say that through the briskets ive cooked, then doing the night train experiment, and now this brisket, i feel that im starting to get a feel for what im looking for when i probe. i feel half comfortable now cooking these things, as before this cook i was still feeling in the dark.

BURNT ENDS

the burnt ends i cubed up, and i covered em in some more of the paste rub that i use (bob gibson bare naked brisket recipe) except i replaced the mustard with molasses so it would caramelize faster. as you can see, i left them in for an hour and a half. put some wood in and never reloaded. when i took em out they were completely covered in bark on all sides. they were very good, although a little chewy, so maybe next time i wont put them back on as long.

thanks everyone for the help!

heres some pics....

IMAG0606.jpg

IMAG0607.jpg

IMAG0608.jpg

IMAG0617.jpg

IMAG0615.jpg

IMAG0614.jpg

IMAG0616.jpg

Looks like little nuggets of gold right there.

yep they are real tasty. im glad in that short of a time they really really developed a deep hard bark all around the edges. maybe the molasses really does caramelize fast.

next time ill check em earlier and hopefully they will still be a bit more tender.

BUT i do have to say that i threw one in the micro last night for 15 seconds and it was scrumptious. :thumb:

yep they are real tasty. im glad in that short of a time they really really developed a deep hard bark all around the edges. maybe the molasses really does caramelize fast.

next time ill check em earlier and hopefully they will still be a bit more tender.

BUT i do have to say that i threw one in the micro last night for 15 seconds and it was scrumptious. :thumb:
If the burnt ends were "rubbery" they may not have been done. I've had this problem before.

If the burnt ends were "rubbery" they may not have been done. I've had this problem before.

hmm... strange. usually when i cube up the point its very fatty, but at the same time its very soft. (tastes really good) so i figured i didnt have to cook em much, just enough to get bark. so i figured they were overcooked bc they were a little chewy.

if i leave them on longer they will get softer again?

Back